GMA this AM, "High School Football Should be Banned"!

micotrav

If somehow Congress sends it to his desk, he'll veto it. The oldest known High School rivalry started in 1875. I think that's long enough to determine if it's so dangerous. I don't think it will ever be banned, except in liberal states.

How do you know he would veto it? Also if football was banned it would be a state by state decision.

Ok, i saw this piece the other morning, and did not get that it had anything to do with Trump or government. However this will be a medical issue that is going to have to be addressed moving forward. I am sure that statement will cause some blow back, But evidence is there, and how do you regulate the risk. And yes there are those that are very good on all levels of football,that have proper steps in place & have a proactive stance, but the flip side is there are those that are not.

so you are saying "it" could be banned?

I'm saying that it will in California and many New England States. I don't think it will ever be in the South, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and the Plains States. There are some states that won't even allow tag or dodge ball. I'm sure it will happen in the next 20-25 years if not sooner in at least 1-5 liberal states. I don't think the Federal Government will ever ban it, but I saw some crazy laws passed from 2009-2012.

V. E. T. O.

no matter what BS may get passed, President Trump can dump it......... :P

Trump played High School football, and he'll never let it be banned. He even helped start up the USFL. I think he did it for monetary reasons that he thought would grow, even though he lost money in the venture. http://www.tmz.com/2016/09/15/donald-trump-i-played-high-school-football/ .

Ok, i saw this piece the other morning, and did not get that it had anything to do with Trump or government. However this will be a medical issue that is going to have to be addressed moving forward. I am sure that statement will cause some blow back, But evidence is there, and how do you regulate the risk. And yes there are those that are very good on all levels of football,that have proper steps in place & have a proactive stance, but the flip side is there are those that are not.

There will be politicians that hear about this, and they will want to ban it for the public interest. Some of ya'll need to pay attention to politics, and some of the stupid laws across the Federal and State Governments that are passed.

I don't see the government as the problem here. First we have a doctor quoted in the Journal of Medical Pediatrics saying it should be banned. Then we have the acknowledgment that trial lawyers are beginning to advertise for cases. It sounds to me like an entrepreneurial venture is getting going with both doctors (through giving "expert testimony") and lawyers (through huge settlements) profiting. I don't think the lawyers really want to "ban" football as we know it because that would mean the cases would dry up.

You could say government ought to step in and ban the lawsuits and if Rick Perry were still governor, I think he'd be making that a priority since he hated lawyers so much and was always "tort reforming." However, the current governor is not only a lawyer; he has also benefited from a lawsuit from when an oak tree fell on him while he was jogging in 1984 and crushed his spine. So I think he is probably more in favor of tort law than Perry was.

No, what I am saying is that these news stories on GMA is to get people fired up to force government to step in. It's happened for the last 8 years. Obama used the media and the media used him. I doubt that will happen with trump bc his relationship with the media is poop. However, every president that has allowed the media this inside access has influenced the president at the time.

Gma? Is that all them fat lady's all sitting round a table gossiping an getting paid for it? I would suggest that they invest some of them gains on dietary reductions and cosmetic alterations tho..

No, that show comes on after :lol: GMA is the one with a strange mix of skinny people and a guy who works for FOX and another that works for ESPN...

High school football is a part of life, in several states and in one way or another. By that, I think the strongest states in high school football are Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Tennessee and California. The other activities that would suffer from no high school football are band, cheer-leading and drill team. Not to mention the loss of the pride of a parent experiencing those glory days by their child.

In those states that I think are the strongest, and why I say it is part of life, is because boys are raised with a football in their hand, drill team and cheerleaders are twirling or shaking pom poms by the time they are starting to walk and those talented enough to be in the band are already headed toward musical endeavors or enriching their lives with a lot of hard work, practice, more practice and even more practice until they are the best.

I really don't think Trump cares one way or another about football in high school. He has his hands full of just trying to defend his tweets and defending all of us deplorable people. Now, if it was WWE, golf or beauty pageants, he would jump all over it. He already has lost a ton of money in the USFL, so I don't think I could see him investing time or money back into a failed attempt or for that matter any bankruptcy's he has already experienced.

However, Trump was a "gifted athlete" and played football, soccer and baseball in high school, according to some research. He was a pitcher that could throw a fast ball around 80 miles per hour. Being born in Queens, New York there were other things he focused on to get to where he is today. When asked about playing football, he answered that he played at a "very low level....in high school". He also said that a concussion in football was "just a ding on the head". And he has opposed the NFL's concern over concussion protocol.

I don't think they would ever ban high school football and for sure, never in Texas. I believe that 'sometime' in the future, there will be regulations of some sort placed on youth sports, possibly football. But we can go to a boxing match and find that Pee Wee aged kids are taking direct shots to the head and soccer is trained to use the head as one of the striking points to move the ball. So there are other issues that would also have to be addressed for that age group of youngsters. I am not a proponent of first thru fourth grade tackle football. To me that is just too young, even if the contact is pretty minor in most cases. I think flag football at that age is great. It teaches the basics and at the same time works on many of the skills and coordination that are needed in football at an older age. Fifth and sixth grade, to me, is plenty early enough to begin learning about the game and the proper way to tackle and block. I also want more kids to be excited about the game and if a child has played 8 years before he ever gets to the high school level, they stand a chance of being burned out.

But then again, stopping contact football at the very early ages would be a very hard thing to stop, since there is entirely too much money involved in youth football. Any parent will spent a small fortune on suiting out a first or second grade football player. And that bothers me, because money is certainly a part of a child playing at a very young age. And money will sway any lobbyist to keep something alive; and money over the well being of a very small child is not what this great game is all about.

If folks are starting to talk about banning a sport that millions of people love, then at the same time there should be a movement to save the integrity of the game.

I'm saying that it will in California and many New England States. I don't think it will ever be in the South, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and the Plains States. There are some states that won't even allow tag or dodge ball. I'm sure it will happen in the next 20-25 years if not sooner in at least 1-5 liberal states. I don't think the Federal Government will ever ban it, but I saw some crazy laws passed from 2009-2012.

Have seen some crazy laws passed in our state from late 90's - 2016...

If it is banned in CA there will be ripple effects it would eventually wind up in Fed Circuit court which is the 9thdistrict who make unusual rulings from time to time, if the court upholds the ban then does that go for the other two states covered in their district?...what happens to CA state univ's who have huge D1 programs...where do they get their players now or will those State U's still have a program? Will that ban in CA cause a decline in college game when one third of FBS is no longer viable...lots of if's but be careful in saying it would only effect "liberal" states...kinda of a stick the head in the sand type thought pattern...

Agree with Microtrav's last line...instead of saying it will never happen here be proactive and work to save the integrity of game and improve health of participants (which cost money)

Have seen some crazy laws passed in our state from late 90's - 2016...

If it is banned in CA there will be ripple effects it would eventually wind up in Fed Circuit court which is the 9thdistrict who make unusual rulings from time to time, if the court upholds the ban then does that go for the other two states covered in their district?...what happens to CA state univ's who have huge D1 programs...where do they get their players now or will those State U's still have a program? Will that ban in CA cause a decline in college game when one third of FBS is no longer viable...lots of if's but be careful in saying it would only effect "liberal" states...kinda of a stick the head in the sand type thought pattern...

Agree with Microtrav's last line...instead of saying it will never happen here be proactive and work to save the integrity of game and improve health of participants (which cost money)

I think it will be banned in California within the next 10 years. They'll allow flag or touch football maybe just to keep up the tradition, but not full contact. They've already banned tackle football at Marshall for 7th grades, but can't do anything on what the people want to do with their own leagues. Could it happen in Texas ? I never say never anymore. Football is being attacked, but to me I'd rather play it than any other sport. I do love baseball too, but football will always be the King of Sports to me.

• Like 1

We'll all know what speed stacking is and recruiting allegations will soon follow.

Agree. Noticed just recently that the UIL is making judgement on three or four different cases of students transferring for athletic purposes. What I noticed also was that each individual case was allotted a 45 minute slot to come to a decision. It has become so commonplace that the UIL has it down to a science and a time slot of decision making that takes only minutes to conclude. Kind of like a speeding ticket or running a stop sign.

I think it will be banned in California within the next 10 years. They'll allow flag or touch football maybe just to keep up the tradition, but not full contact. They've already banned tackle football at Marshall for 7th grades, but can't do anything on what the people want to do with their own leagues. Could it happen in Texas ? I never say never anymore. Football is being attacked, but to me I'd rather play it than any other sport. I do love baseball too, but football will always be the King of Sports to me.

Marshall didn't ban it... they chose not to have it... Harper has made the program back to the way it was set up under Parker and Harper... so saying banned is overstating a year of teaching skill and technique and scheme to 7th graders

Why doesn't someone expend the effort to figure out why - in the modern area of exponentially-better fitness and equipment technology - injuries are UP exponentially over decades ago?

The injuries are not necessarily "up". There are injuries being reported that, 10 years ago, kids were told to "just shake it off", or "play through it". That accounts for the biggest part of the increase. I don't believe the game has ever been safer for the players than it is today, and it's improving all the time.
  • Like 2

The injuries are not necessarily "up". There are injuries being reported that, 10 years ago, kids were told to "just shake it off", or "play through it". That accounts for the biggest part of the increase. I don't believe the game has ever been safer for the players than it is today, and it's improving all the time.

^^^ This, so much this.

Why doesn't someone expend the effort to figure out why - in the modern area of exponentially-better fitness and equipment technology - injuries are UP exponentially over decades ago?

Ever see Junction Boys? That's how athletic trainers used to be... now we actually document, study, and treat injuries :lol:

Ever see Junction Boys? That's how athletic trainers used to be... now we actually document, study, and treat injuries :lol:

That's why that generation didn't need safe spaces and teddy bears when things didn't go right for them........those days were better.......:P

The real reason behind all the hate for football is this and it has nothing to do with concussions, otherwise all of us who played back in the day would be falling over dead daily, if what they say about concussions is as bad as they hype..... GMA is upset because football is a masculine sport played by men and enjoyed by men and football affords opprotunities for heroism ( the courages part) because men venerate heroism as a positive channeling of the aggressiveness and competiveness that is part of our masculine nature. It also shows the wacko feminist that yes, men are generally exponentially stronger then women. Football is also enormously complex strategically, which appeals to men's facility for spatial reasoning.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-nfl-football-feminism-20141003-story.html

• Like 2