4A Division 1 State Championship Game: Carthage vs Abilene Wylie @ AT&T

CarthDawg77

State Final  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins????

In its 21-13 win over Kennedale Friday night, Abilene Wylie was outgained 277-163. However, the West Texas Bulldogs won the turnover battle 4-0.

AW Bulldogs had 31 rushes for 97 net yards. They completed 8 of 15 passes for 66 yards.

They faced in Kennedale a Wing-T offense that ran on 60 of its 62 plays for 277 yards. Both Kennedale passes were intercepted.

The victors twice scored after stopping fake punts. One of those drives was only 28 yards.

• Like 1

In its 21-13 win over Kennedale Friday night, Abilene Wylie was outgained 277-163. However, the West Texas Bulldogs won the turnover battle 4-0.

AW Bulldogs had 31 rushes for 97 net yards. They completed 8 of 15 passes for 66 yards.

They faced in Kennedale a Wing-T offense that ran on 60 of its 62 plays for 277 yards. Both Kennedale passes were intercepted.

The victors twice scored after stopping fake punts. One of those drives was only 28 yards.

I firmly believe Surratt & Co. are equal to the task which lies before them, & that Carthage will prevail against these Wylie Coyotes... Err, Bulldogs I mean!😜

Abilene Wylie Bulldogs (12-1)

Non-district

Won over Vernon (2-9) 15-9 - Vernon is a Class 4A Division II school that finished 4th in its 5-team district; lost its bi-district game to Glen Rose by 36 points

Lost to Lubbock Monterey (10-3) 23-37 - Monterey is a Class 5A team that lost in the 3rd round of the playoffs to Denton Ryan by 17 points; Ryan lost its 1st game of the season yesterday to Highland Park

Won over Denison (5-6) 28-14 - Denison is a Class 5A school that lost in bi-district to Fort Worth Boswell by 27 points

Won over Brownfield (1-9) 53-7 - Brownfield is a Class 4A Division II team that beat only Class 3A Kermit this season

District

Won over Brownwood (6-5) 35-13 - Brownwood was the district runner-up and lost in bi-district to Andrews by 21 points

Won over Big Spring (1-9) 59-7 - Big Spring was 5th in the 5-team district; its only win was over Class 4A Division II Monahans

Won over Snyder (1-8) 56-13 - Snyder's only win was over 1-9 Big Spring; lost in bi-district to Argyle by 35 points

​Won over Stephenville (3-8) 44-3 - Stephenville finished 3d in the district and lost its bi-district game to Decatur by 7 points

Playoffs

Won over Wichita Falls Hirschi (6-5) 45-9 - Hirschi finished 4th behind Argyle, Decatur and Sanger in district play

Won over Pampa (6-6) 48-17 - Pampa finished behind Levelland and Lubbock Estacado in district play; beat Clint by 24 points in bi-district

Won over Argyle (11-1) 35-14 - Argyle was undefeated before meeting Abilene Wylie

Won over Levelland (10-4) 49-14 - Levelland was a high-scoring team that lost a non-district game to Andrews 76-77 and won its 2nd-round playoff game over Decatur 82-73

Won over Kennedale (11-4) 21-13 - Kennedale twice set up Abilene Wylie for short touchdown drives with unsuccessful fake punts Friday night

Seen my first Carthage game last nigh at the Ford Center. Atmosphere was electric, as expected, and the 3 OT game was another first for me. Glad to see #28 come out the hero after laying it on the ground three tines last night. Defense was the difference in this game, and the Dawgs played lights out. Was a little disappointed in the lack if "intermediate" passing game. It seemed like either "home run" or nothing. Going with ETX in this one. Bring it home Catthage.

Seen my first Carthage game last nigh at the Ford Center. Atmosphere was electric, as expected, and the 3 OT game was another first for me. Glad to see #28 come out the hero after laying it on the ground three tines last night. Defense was the difference in this game, and the Dawgs played lights out. Was a little disappointed in the lack if "intermediate" passing game. It seemed like either "home run" or nothing. Going with ETX in this one. Bring it home Catthage.

Very accurate analogy describing the "electric atmosphere" at Carthage games... A word of caution, however; That electric atmosphere is Very habit forming, & once it gets you, it will Never leave you! We Carthage Bulldog Fans are all "Hooked" now!😜

Appears to me Carthage plays up to the competition. Also, sounds like Lady Luck got Wylie passed Kennedale. All that said, I think the Bulldogs get them a SC in D1 to go with another Reg 3 SC in D2 from WOS. Would love to see both of them winners.. East Texas - North and South - bring it home.

Out of the 20 teams playing in state championship games, 16 teams finished 1st in district. 2 teams still playing finished 2nd, and 2 teams Carthage and Yoakum finished 3rd in their district. Going from 3rd in district to the state championship game is pretty hard to come by. I wonder how many times this has happened since the playoffs were expanded to the current set up? I wouldn't think very many.

As we go through the weekly ritual of breaking down our opponents collective body of work, SOS, stats, etc. - I could not help but think of all the talented teams Carthage has played this year. I took a few minutes to look up the top 400 recruits in all classifications for the state of Texas for 2017, 2018 and 2019 via 247Sports to see how many were on the teams Carthage faced this year. This is what I found - 19 D1 top recruits.

2017 - Prospect/School

#8 Carson Liberty Eyleau

#27 Jones Stafford

#44 Tennison Bullard

#60 Ebner Henderson

#76 Evans Center

#93 Pitre Stafford

#99 Morton Gilmer

#121 Tyler Silsbee

#166 Van Zandt Henderson

#168 Brown Stafford

#225 Jones Silsbee

#238 Key Whitehouse

#267 Hawley Gladewater

#296 Hurt Gilmer

#379 Fulp China Spring

2018 Prospect/School

#49 Barnes Silsbee

#51 Shepherd Kilgore

#111 James China Spring

2019 Prospect/School

Curry Stafford

• Like 2

DawgNation2015,

This is good info. Thanks for compiling and sharing.

Other than the RB, who are the other 2 from Silsbee?

Is James one of China Spring's LBs?

Any idea why Van Zandt isn't higher?

Was Carthage represented on the list? I would think 2 or 3 of them belong on the 2018 list.

DawgNation2015,

Was Carthage represented on the list? I would think 2 or 3 of them belong on the 2018 list.

I think James was #16. The one who caught the TD pass - tall but thick.

DawgNation2015,

#225 Willie Jones III - Duel threat QB (Silsbee)

#44 Kalin Barnes - WR (Silsbee)

#111 Tyrick James - TE (China Spring)

No idea why Van Zander is not higher in the list. Possibly because the RB class is very deep and his stats were diminished by sharing the load with other key playmakers from Henderson.

Currently Gates is the only Carthage player on the 2018 class. He is #98. I'd bet Ingram will appear on this list over the summer as he gets more exposure at camps. Possibly Colbert as well.

Anything learned in Chalk Talk today that can be disclosed here?

Wylie QB smaller than CS QB, but very quick & mobile... Throws well also; Defense similar to CS as well. Surratt said he feels good about our chances if we control the ball well & limit turnovers.... You know... Basic stuff you'd hear at each Chalk Talk meeting... I left there feeling pretty good about our chances.
  • Like 1

Out of the 20 teams playing in state championship games, 16 teams finished 1st in district. 2 teams still playing finished 2nd, and 2 teams Carthage and Yoakum finished 3rd in their district. Going from 3rd in district to the state championship game is pretty hard to come by. I wonder how many times this has happened since the playoffs were expanded to the current set up? I wouldn't think very many.

You see us in the state championship don't you ?!?! Enough said.