4A Division 1 State Championship Game: Carthage vs Abilene Wylie @ AT&T

CarthDawg77

State Final  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins????

Wylie had size advantage. But to me honestly the size didn't really play a factor bc Carthage front 7 had their way with AW O-Line

And Carthage O-line had their way with AW front 7 in 4th quarter after the AW defense had been on the field most of the half due to the 5 turnovers. Surratt smelled blood in the water and let the big boys and Ingram close it out.

WOW, What a year for Carthage Bulldawg Football! This season is my favorite Carthage Team (Well, every year is my favorite team)... Our kids played with heart and determination and never seamed to get rattled week after week. Although several of the games we played this year had my blood pressure at stroke level.

Coach Surratt, he is in my opinion, the best in the state of Texas! Coach Preston, is in my opinion, is the best defensive coordinator in the state of Texas. As of the rest of the coaching staff.... Yeah the best in the State of Texas!

I am a proud Carthage Bulldog.

Many who post on this website took Coach Surratt to task during the season for so often going for it rather than punting on 4th down. IMHO, the players were able to convert all of those 4th downs yesterday in front of 24,000 fans for the state championship at least partially because of the fearless attitude developed during the season by going for it so often and from almost anywhere on the field. (I use "almost" in front of "anywhere" because I don't think the Bulldogs have ever gone for it on 4th from inside their 10.)

We had so many 4th & shorts when we played Carthage for state in 2013. We punted every time. We lost.

Surratt goes for it on 4th down during reasonable situations. 5 state titles.

Does anybody know who pays for state championship rings?

See attached article from 2015 regarding rule change in school participation on rings or other awards for state championships.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2015/10/19/uil-legislative-council-alters-rules-allow-schools-buy-championship-rings-give-free-tickets-parents

• Like 2

Many who post on this website took Coach Surratt to task during the season for so often going for it rather than punting on 4th down. IMHO, the players were able to convert all of those 4th downs yesterday in front of 24,000 fans for the state championship at least partially because of the fearless attitude developed during the season by going for it so often and from almost anywhere on the field. (I use "almost" in front of "anywhere" because I don't think the Bulldogs have ever gone for it on 4th from inside their 10.)

​Excellent point leadbrute, punting is just a way of giving the opposing team another set of undeserved, shiny new downs, hehehe. We get 4 downs so we should use them all, otherwise we always only have 3 downs.

we've gone for it so many times throughout the season that when it was time to do it on the biggest stage of all, it was no big deal. Trial by fire baby!! Woof Woof Woof Carthage Bulldogs State Champs!

​WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! The Dawgs Came, They Saw, And They Conquered!! It's In The Books ! No More Heart Attacks! Only Pleasant Feelings, hehe

After re-watching this game for the third time now, I have come to the conclusion that Wylie, whose QB was so successful all year Running the football, made the fatal error of not dancing with the one who "brung" them To this dance... Throwing the ball killed them, when pounding the Rock was having some success.

After re-watching this game for the third time now, I have come to the conclusion that Wylie, whose QB was so successful all year Running the football, made the fatal error of not dancing with the one who "brung" them To this dance... Throwing the ball killed them, when pounding the Rock was having some success.

CarthDawg, where are you watching the rerun?

The offensive line and Ingram completely took over in the fourth quarter.

The AW offense couldn't move the ball through the air or on the ground against the Dawg defense.

The defense the last three weeks of the season against Stafford, CS and AW really locked down their attacks after half time adjustments. That was very nice to see and quite impressive.

As has already been mentioned earlier in this thread, with the Bulldogs having gone for it on 4th down so many times throughout the season they didn't get uptight about doing just that on the biggest of stages in the biggest game in the greatest stadium on earth. That's pretty neat our boys were full of confidence going for it on a long 4th down conversion attempt pretty deep in our own territory in the first half. Converting those attempts pumps up our boys and can totally deflate the defense they're facing. At times AW had to have thought to themselves how in the world they would ever get Carthage off the field. Surratt puts a lot of pressure on the defense all game long. It has to wear on our opponents over the course of a game.