4A Division 1 State Championship Game: Carthage vs Abilene Wylie @ AT&T

CarthDawg77

State Final  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins????

I think realeagle has it right with a close Wylie win.

Wylie will turn this game into a grind with a lower score. The big throws that Carthage is used to getting won't be there. If Carthage takes shots down the field, they'll turn it over.

To repeat: the Carthage short and intermediate throws will be hard to come by. The Wylie secondary hits hard, and their coverage schemes are dynamic, not what you usually see at the high school or college level.

Wylie will make them string together plays. Will Carthage hit on one or two long runs from scrimmage? Maybe, but expect a defensive game where possession time and turnovers key the win.

Two other factors:

1. The Wylie offense is much better than advertised. If you're only looking at the Kennedale game, keep in mind that the easiest way to beat that elite K. team was to let them implode. That's what they were close to doing all year.

2. Hugh Sandifer is on a roll as the Wylie coach. He's a hall-of-famer doing perhaps his finest work yet, winning with teamwork, not stars.

1. That same team that lost to Whitehouse hmm Carthage beat .

2. Surratt won 4 state championships and another as a OC at Texas High. Beating very good offenses along the way after getting 3rd place in 94a. I would say this is Surratt best coaching job cause this isn't the most talented Carthage team he had.

Yeah great logic

You're a closet Carthage Bulldawg fan, Lion..... I Knew it!!!!🎉🤘🏻👏🏼🙀🦁 :lol:

I think realeagle has it right with a close Wylie win.

Wylie will turn this game into a grind with a lower score. The big throws that Carthage is used to getting won't be there. If Carthage takes shots down the field, they'll turn it over.

To repeat: the Carthage short and intermediate throws will be hard to come by. The Wylie secondary hits hard, and their coverage schemes are dynamic, not what you usually see at the high school or college level.

Wylie will make them string together plays. Will Carthage hit on one or two long runs from scrimmage? Maybe, but expect a defensive game where possession time and turnovers key the win.

Two other factors:

1. The Wylie offense is much better than advertised. If you're only looking at the Kennedale game, keep in mind that the easiest way to beat that elite K. team was to let them implode. That's what they were close to doing all year.

2. Hugh Sandifer is on a roll as the Wylie coach. He's a hall-of-famer doing perhaps his finest work yet, winning with teamwork, not stars.

Wow. A defensive coordinator at a 4A school that uses coverages that most college coaches can't teach. Impressive.

I'd say they are aggressive with their front 4. Most teams have not been able to block their D line which has resulted in quite a few TFL. It also frees up the LB's to go unblocked and make plays against the run.

So what you're saying is with the steel curtain for a front 4, an NFL type secondary and the best linebackers in the world....there's no chance?? I hope Carthage doesn't go up there and get embarrassed

Wylie 28

Carthage 22

Wylie most probably played their best game of the season against Argyle. They got their last score off a 30+ run to the one with less than a minute left. Argyle stacked the LOS and Pepper got thru a seam. Argyle gambled. On the next play they scored from the one on qb sneak. Argyle's D line was outweighed severely all night. Game was much tighter than the final score.

Kennedale had a much bigger D line than Argyle this season. In fact, Kennedale had a really great team in the playoffs......they beat a very good Van team decidedly. Wylie did not play a good game against Kennedale......don't expect the same kind of result this week. In fact, Wylie had a few "bad outings" offensively this season, but won with the defense. Then the very next game their offense would come alive. I think Carthage has the better offense and Wylie has the better defense. This game should be very interesting to watch. I'd say the team that commits the most mistakes will lose. And that will be Carthage.

Hey regaleagle, hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas season and a wonderful 2017!!!

So what you're saying is with the steel curtain for a front 4, an NFL type secondary and the best linebackers in the world....there's no chance?? I hope Carthage doesn't go up there and get embarrassed

Ha ha. AW has a great defense no doubt. Carthage pro style offense will give them some looks they have not seen this year. There is a lot for AW to prepare for. AW will have to account for multiple Dawg playmakers. The Carthage O-line and QB will know where Novil is lined up on every play and check blocking assignments accordingly. I don't care how good the AW DB's are, the multiple route combinations and double move routes will test them. Add in a QB who has a big arm and can make all the throws in the field and I like our chances. Oh yeah, I forgot we have a kid named Ingram with over 2,500 yards from scrimmage in the backfield who can run it and catch it if needed. With all the different looks, Carthage will catch AW in a compromising position on D and we will capitalize. Just have to be patient and watch the chess match unfold on the big stage!

The Carthage staff is fantastic as well, you don't win as much as they win w/o being well coached....But he's going against someone who in statewide circles is thought of just as highly as he is...both coaches and staffs are among the best....so I highly doubt one anyone is getting outcoached Friday...Carthage has better players IMO and that's why they win

Ill second what Matt said about Sandifer led teams beating more talented teams. That night in Waco when Wylie beat Cuero for all the marbles quite a few years ago, talent for talent, it looked like Wylie didn't belong on the same field as Cuero but they just mucked it up and forced Cuero to go bare knuckles and Wylie liked that. What a game.

Or the two times Wylie beat Everman in the playoffs or the time they beat Aledo in the playoffs....in 2005 they didn't belong on the same field as Gainesville and lost by 3...2007 when they lost to Gilmer by 7...2009 when they beat Lovejoy in the semis...or last year when they put a scare into Argyle...they just find a way to stay in games they have no business being in

The 2nd time they beat Everman was Case Keenum's soph year...Everman jumped out to a 24-7 lead and Wylie came back late for a 25-24 win...that Wylie team lost to Gainesville in the semis but that game was lopsided....that Gainesville team was LOADED

Wylie 28

Carthage 22

Wylie most probably played their best game of the season against Argyle. They got their last score off a 30+ run to the one with less than a minute left. Argyle stacked the LOS and Pepper got thru a seam. Argyle gambled. On the next play they scored from the one on qb sneak. Argyle's D line was outweighed severely all night. Game was much tighter than the final score.

Kennedale had a much bigger D line than Argyle this season. In fact, Kennedale had a really great team in the playoffs......they beat a very good Van team decidedly. Wylie did not play a good game against Kennedale......don't expect the same kind of result this week. In fact, Wylie had a few "bad outings" offensively this season, but won with the defense. Then the very next game their offense would come alive. I think Carthage has the better offense and Wylie has the better defense. This game should be very interesting to watch. I'd say the team that commits the most mistakes will lose. And that will be Carthage.

I hope Carthage got their bad game out of the way last week too, 5 turnovers is crazy in the Semi-Finals. I respect Wylie after beating Argyle, y'all always put together a good team year after year. But Carthage has overcome adversity, after trailing at halftime, by not panicking and making plays to put them in the best spot to win. It will be a fight to the finish, Carthage has too many weapons to choose from and that will be the difference in the end. Go Dawgs!!!
  • Like 1

Ha ha. AW has a great defense no doubt. Carthage pro style offense will give them some looks they have not seen this year. There is a lot for AW to prepare for. AW will have to account for multiple Dawg playmakers. The Carthage O-line and QB will know where Novil is lined up on every play and check blocking assignments accordingly. I don't care how good the AW DB's are, the multiple route combinations and double move routes will test them. Add in a QB who has a big arm and can make all the throws in the field and I like our chances. Oh yeah, I forgot we have a kid named Ingram with over 2,500 yards from scrimmage in the backfield who can run it and catch it if needed. With all the different looks, Carthage will catch AW in a compromising position on D and we will capitalize. Just have to be patient and watch the chess match unfold on the big stage!

I couldn't find the sarcasm key