Who are the "teams to watch" in 2017?

BreakStick2017

Just curious who you all think will be the best East Texas teams in the 2017 season.

I know there are several East Texas teams who have played into late May in the past several years, who among them do you think has the best chance to repeat that success and who is expected to fall early?

What classification and/or district will showcase the best teams?

2A Region 3. Grapeland, Martin's Mill,and Joaquin.

I know Joaquin brings back there pitcher.

Grapeland lost one to graduation but adds 3 freshman. They will have a Freshman pitching for them. She's a lefty and throws in the 58, 60 range, and I believe it will get them over the hump, and back to Austin. There defense is very good and offense is on point.

Martin's Mill will have the best defense and most likely the best sticks in the region. I know there first 5 in the lineup will be committed to a school or about to commit. They just don't have the pitching.

2A Region 3. Grapeland, Martin's Mill,and Joaquin.

I know Joaquin brings back there pitcher.

Grapeland lost one to graduation but adds 3 freshman. They will have a Freshman pitching for them. She's a lefty and throws in the 58, 60 range, and I believe it will get them over the hump, and back to Austin. There defense is very good and offense is on point.

Martin's Mill will have the best defense and most likely the best sticks in the region. I know there first 5 in the lineup will be committed to a school or about to commit. They just don't have the pitching.

Joaquin loses a four-year starter at shortstop, who was also an outstanding lead off hitter. They are also replacing the first baseman, and two outfielders. The four best power hitters are back, including the sophomore pitcher. I honestly think the region comes down to Joaquin and Grapeland, but Martin's Mill, Cayuga, Chireno, Shelbyville, West Sabine, and Slocum will all be pretty good.

Joaquin loses a four-year starter at shortstop, who was also an outstanding lead off hitter. They are also replacing the first baseman, and two outfielders. The four best power hitters are back, including the sophomore pitcher. I honestly think the region comes down to Joaquin and Grapeland, but Martin's Mill, Cayuga, Chireno, Shelbyville, West Sabine, and Slocum will all be pretty good.

Cayuga may not make the playoffs. No pitching. There pitcher graduated. Slocum will be considered 1a when playoffs take place and will win the 1a state Championship.

Cayuga may not make the playoffs. No pitching. There pitcher graduated. Slocum will be considered 1a when playoffs take place and will win the 1a state Championship.

Did not know that about either team. I'll stick with Joaquin/ Grapeland as the top two in the region.

I was told there doing a 1a, 2a split when playoffs start.

Martin's Mill might be my number one right now. I know they had a few move ins that had to sit out last year. But can play this year. Now all three Camacho sister are in high school now. The freshman is the best one that plays for Texas Glory Naudin. She's a stud and her sisters are too. Sr sister has been committed to ETBU since she was a Freshman, and the Jr has been committed to Tarleton st university since she was a freshman. They all play for Glory. Moon there SS was the defense MVP last year and is committed to D1 school I believe.

I was told there doing a 1a, 2a split when playoffs start.

Martin's Mill might be my number one right now. I know they had a few move ins that had to sit out last year. But can play this year. Now all three Camacho sister are in high school now. The freshman is the best one that plays for Texas Glory Naudin. She's a stud and her sisters are too. Sr sister has been committed to ETBU since she was a Freshman, and the Jr has been committed to Tarleton st university since she was a freshman. They all play for Glory. Moon there SS was the defense MVP last year and is committed to D1 school I believe.

There's nothing on the UIL website about a 1A/ 2A split, but, they haven't updated the playoff brackets yet either. Myself, I don't think there are enough quality teams to warrant a split, but if UIL can figure out how to make more money off of it, they'll do it. Our district didn't change from last year. Based on what I know about the teams, I'll go ahead and say:

1: Joaquin

2: Cushing

3: Alto

4: Douglass

5A)

Hallsville lost a lot to graduation, but I don't know what the "have coming"... Texas High, Sulphur Springs, Mt Pleasant, Pine Tree, Greenville, & Marshall.... Pine Tree will have top tier pitching, but could struggle offensively... who's the team to beat? I don't have enough info on any of these teams to even have an opinion...

4A)

Henderson, Carthage, Rusk, Tatum, Center - Lots of talent in this district that ended with three teams tied for first place last year... Who's favored to win here?

Henderson feels like they "underachieved" last year, and they will be out for blood, Rusk lost a big time player in Rachel Miller, but still have top tier talent and pitching, Carthage looks stacked with pitching depth and horsepower, Tatum has some freshmen who should help this year, and I know nothing about Center...

3A)

Beckville and Harleton took a pretty significant hit to graduation and are moving into district with White Oak, New Diana, Elysian Fields, Jefferson, Waskom,& Ore City. Will Beckville and Harleton come in and take two playoff spots?

I think White Oak is the cream of the crop, and I think Randi Carol gets healthy and gives Harleton a opportunity to play spoiler.... Not familiar enough with Jefferson, New Diana, EF, or Ore City to make any kind of call on them. Beckville will be very young, but they have had great success in recent history

2A)

Alto, Cushing, Douglass, Gary, Joaquin, Mount Enterprise, Timpson, Wells - One team advanced to regional semis and one to regional quarters - Are Joaquin and Cushing still the best of this district? I think Joaquin has a chance to have a special year!

As for UIL Question:

Yes, 1A & 2A will be split during the playoffs. They will play each other during district, but then separate.

In some parts of the state, some 1A teams will get BYES into Regional Quarterfinal Round. There are some 1A's that are the only team in their district at their classification. Thus, a team could go winless, and still go multiple rounds deep in the playoffs. Unlikely, but possible!

This will give Texas 6 State Champions in softball for the first time ever. This is also the 25th year of Texas HS Softball.

The state tournament will still encompass four days, but it will be held at two sites. The University of Texas is still the main site, and the secondary site will be named soon. It has already been solidified & confirmed, but has not been released by UIL so I will not say yet.

Could be a great year:

1) Joaquin has a chance to go all the way, especially with Harleton and Beckville out of their way

2) Hallsville has a new coach and a lot to replace on the field while Pine Tree probably has the best shot at the playoffs in a while

3) There are a lot of coaching changes, should be interesting to watch

4) Curious to see how Beckville and Harleton do in the higher classification

5A

Hallsville lost:

Head Coach

Pitcher

Catcher

Third Base

First Base

Centerfield

Right Field

About 85% of Production....

Agreed. How has no one said anything about Sulphur Springs or Mount Pleasant. Didn't MP go 11-3 in district last year? I think they only had 1 starter graduate, and went to the second round last year.

1. MP

2. Sulphur/H'ville

4.PineTree

Then everyone else.

Just curious who you all think will be the best East Texas teams in the 2017 season.

I know there are several East Texas teams who have played into late May in the past several years, who among them do you think has the best chance to repeat that success and who is expected to fall early?

What classification and/or district will showcase the best teams?

I think Hallsville falls, and falls hard. They graduated almost every starting position, and their coach has left. Not usually a good combination. I think It's MP and SS's district to win.

I think Hallsville falls, and falls hard. They graduated almost every starting position, and their coach has left. Not usually a good combination. I think It's MP and SS's district to win.

Yep, I believe that this is the first time in a while that Hallsville will not be the team to beat. Lost a lot but they have the tradition.

How is Lufkin going to be this year? Know they had a good run last year, but how will they fair in the 6A District with The Woodlands, Montgomery, Oak Ridge, College Park, and Conroe?

They lost their pitcher that took them deep last year, but I believe they had a freshman (?) that came in during a playoff game last year and got the job done. So they should be fairly decent, but know nothing about the other teams in the district.

• 2 weeks later...

How will this district pan out

Carthage, Tatum, Center, Henderson, Rusk

I heard Center lost there pitcher and catcher. How will there team turn out this season.

Tatum got a new coach and there team was pretty good last season

Henderson adds two stud Freshman ones committed to Nebraska and plays for Texas Glory Naudin 16u. The other Plays for Sneaky Cleats Springer and she's gaining major attention. She has offers from some big schools. A Lil late on the recruiting for the big schools but A&M trying to find money, and Florida. Kansas, ULL, and list goes on.

How will this district pan out

Carthage, Tatum, Center, Henderson, Rusk

I heard Center lost there pitcher and catcher. How will there team turn out this season.

Tatum got a new coach and there team was pretty good last season

Center's pitcher. Mikayla Hubbard, is still there. She's currently playing basketball, as are the other two standouts, Taylor Nicholls and Olivia Johnson.