Longhorns 2017 Thread

JustAFan11

attachicon.gifIMG_5030.JPG

This is how Texas was able to get him back in so quickly. Add this to the new helmets Texas wears and I'd say Herman and Texas is better equipped than any school in the country.

Correct, and that's what many of these experts have an issue with. Eye-sync has already proven to not be completely accurate for immediate diagnosis.

It was like 4th and 13 and he had already scrambled backwards at least 10 yards.

He could've tried to run for it but he's not VY, so he won't be picking up that 1st down. He could've chunked it deep and maybe drawn a PI or had it picked.

He threw it away and saved as much time as possible. Texas got a quick 3&out and had one more drive. I think he made the best decision.

I disagree, always give yourself the chance to stay on offense in that situation. If there's a pick it's no different than a punt, defense can pin them deep or you might get the PI call on the pass.

I know the kid isn't VY, far from it. The defense had already done plenty keeping OU to 29 pts, albeit 14 came off poor coverage. The fact is that giving up on the play conceded that drive. That throw oob allowed OU to flip the field on them when the defense held.

I thought that's what Ehlinger said in his post game comments. That the medical staff had him lie as still as possible while they checked for a neck or spine issue.

You guys watch that mess... I am only speaking to the comments made on this thread regarding what I know of how injuries are approached. If he was being checked for neck injuries rather than head, then it makes sense on why he was released back so quickly. Until there is a complete summary of the events from the school, it will leave the door open to speculation on the event.

But if he was being checked for a head injury I would say "the process was too quick." If it was for something else, I am cool with it... You can determine a serious spinal injury in seconds... A concussion takes a good 10-15 minutes to make a 100% clear decision (IMHO)

• Like 1

I disagree, always give yourself the chance to stay on offense in that situation. If there's a pick it's no different than a punt, defense can pin them deep or you might get the PI call on the pass.

I know the kid isn't VY, far from it. The defense had already done plenty keeping OU to 29 pts, albeit 14 came off poor coverage. The fact is that giving up on the play conceded that drive. That throw oob allowed OU to flip the field on them when the defense held.

Unrelated to situation you are speaking of but interesting in a standpoint of today's QBs...

I was listening to Spurrier this morning and he actually said something that was more eye-popping than entertaining for once...

He said "One of the problems with QBs these days is that they fall sideways when they get tackled instead of forwards for the extra 1-2 yards that can go a long way in determining a 1st down."

Ehhh, he could've thrown it up and had it picked. Which could've been returned for a TD, effectively ending the game.

Ou flipped the field because of a holding call on the punt and Reggie fair caught it at the 10!

I understand your point and it's valid. I just think more could've gone wrong than good if he chunks it deep. In the end what he did do allowed us to get the ball back and have a chance at the end.

Ehhh, he could've thrown it up and had it picked. Which could've been returned for a TD, effectively ending the game.

Ou flipped the field because of a holding call on the punt and Reggie fair caught it at the 10!

I understand your point and it's valid. I just think more could've gone wrong than good if he chunks it deep. In the end what he did do allowed us to get the ball back and have a chance at the end.

Defenses should be taught to knock the ball down. I have to give kudos to the defense for getting them the ball back, but I move forward using that situation as a learning experience for the freshman. I'd tell him to keep the play alive. If it's completed they accept the penalty and you have one more play

I personally think that with over a minute to go and OU in prevent I'd have hit them with a RB screen. It had worked all game. Sometimes beck makes you scratch your head

• Like 1

I personally think that with over a minute to go and OU in prevent I'd have hit them with a RB screen. It had worked all game. Sometimes beck makes you scratch your head

That's what I was saying too. I wonder how many times we got to 2nd and 8 by doing the same read play when the screen was working great. The running game is nonexistent, yet Beck still wants to run the ball on every first down.

That's what I was saying too. I wonder how many times we got to 2nd and 8 by doing the same read play when the screen was working great. The running game is nonexistent, yet Beck still wants to run the ball on every first down.

That was Texas' biggest issue. 2nd and long every time.

What gets me is Carter comes in the game and you can see the defense has to respect his speed. They run the zone play a couple times, Carter got maybe 3-4 then ehlinger gets a first down. A few passes and Texas starts putting together a drive. The defense accounts for Carter's speed, has to. Then they pull Carter for warren I think and the drive starts folding. It's like they don't want Carter or the offense to succeed

That was Texas' biggest issue. 2nd and long every time.

Every time. So frustrating to watch.

What gets me is Carter comes in the game and you can see the defense has to respect his speed. They run the zone play a couple times, Carter got maybe 3-4 then ehlinger gets a first down. A few passes and Texas starts putting together a drive. The defense accounts for Carter's speed, has to. Then they pull Carter for warren I think and the drive starts folding. It's like they don't want Carter or the offense to succeed

It's like they don't know how to keep the rhythm going. They throw Warren in there and it messes up the flow. Only use Warren for goal line or those underneath passes.

Herman said the same thing, that he asked Sam why he threw the ball away and Sam mentioned the flag. He said it was a teaching moment for the freshman and said he told him to never throw the ball away on 4th down