Longhorns 2017 Thread

JustAFan11

I have a problem every recruiting cycle trying to figure out how many spots the Longhorns have available. By my count there are 12 graduating senior scholarship players, 1 transfer and 1 early entry into the NFL draft. That's 14, right? Where does everyone get 19-23? Do teams over sign in anticipation of attrition? Or do they just yank scholarships if they guessed wrong? Is the limit of 85 in play on NSD or does it not count until the end of the spring semester?

Here Baron the number I have is 67 right now. Everyone is assuming there will be some attrition.

Thanks Bambino. I rely on the Texas Sports website but they are slow in posting up to date info unless it regards a coach.

Anyone notice the meltdown occurring at BON over the Casey Horny hire? I don't know where I stand. On one hand, I don't like the fact that he supported Briles after thePepper Hamilton report. On the other I have a hard time believing Herman didn't vet Horny (I feel like I'm going to get the SDC censor to chastize me for typing that) thoroughly or think this hire through.

Anyone notice the meltdown occurring at BON over the Casey Horny hire? I don't know where I stand. On one hand, I don't like the fact that he supported Briles after thePepper Hamilton report. On the other I have a hard time believing Herman didn't vet Horny (I feel like I'm going to get the SDC censor to chastize me for typing that) thoroughly or think this hire through.

I think the hire was dumb for a QC guy. It seems like Herman is trying to help a friend out but I wish he would've just helped him get a different job. I, like you, believe that he was vetted thoroughly before being hired but it just seems unnecessary hire.

By all accounts Texas had a great OV weekend. Herman locked up Graham and his momma, although he will still visit ou.

Orlando and Texas really impressed JUCO ILB Johnson and "insiders" think he is trending Texas.

Former Texas DB and current staffer Huff crushed his time with DB Chevin Calloway. He will visit Arkansas and they are still a threat but Texas made up some serious ground in that recruitment.

Those were the 3 biggest visitors in my mind and it sounds like Texas and the new staff killed it.

It's always a bad sign when the kids leave and still plan their other visits and make it to them. Not saying the kids won't end up at Texas, but I wouldn't say they killed it or "locked up graham and momma) when they are taking visits to an ou team that is probably a preseason top 5 unit and a coach as successful as stoops has been. If they were locked down the visit wouldn't be happening. This is not a bash on you or Texas or anything like that, just recruiting in general. Too many times I've seen a commit be "100% solid" just to take a visit to another school and then flip.

It's always a bad sign when the kids leave and still plan their other visits and make it to them. Not saying the kids won't end up at Texas, but I wouldn't say they killed it or "locked up graham and momma) when they are taking visits to an ou team that is probably a preseason top 5 unit and a coach as successful as stoops has been. If they were locked down the visit wouldn't be happening. This is not a bash on you or Texas or anything like that, just recruiting in general. Too many times I've seen a commit be "100% solid" just to take a visit to another school and then flip.

I agree, I said before the weekend I had hoped Texas could shut Johnson down but everyone felt like he would take all his visits. USC is the team to beat imo.

On Graham, momma is the key because they are from Temple, a 45 minute drive to Austin. Early reports are that she's not making the trip to OU and that's why "Insiders" are confident enough to think he is locked in.

Calloway was all Arkansas before the weekend, Texas needed to make him think and they did that. He probably still signs with Arkansas but Texas did what they needed to do.

I agree, I said before the weekend I had hoped Texas could shut Johnson down but everyone felt like he would take all his visits. USC is the team to beat imo.

On Graham, momma is the key because they are from Temple, a 45 minute drive to Austin. Early reports are that she's not making the trip to OU and that's why "Insiders" are confident enough to think he is locked in.

Calloway was all Arkansas before the weekend, Texas needed to make him think and they did that. He probably still signs with Arkansas but Texas did what they needed to do.

Yea but if the last 5 years recruiting has taught us anything, it's that recruits don't care about staying close to home even though they say it and mommas want it. How many times have we heard that line to watch a kid pass up A&M or Texas and sign with Bama or lsu or Ole miss or Ohio st... This year only 4 of the top 20 kids in texas are going to likely sign with Texas schools. That's crazy! And I remember (close to home) being mentioned several times by most recruits when talking to Texas and A&M reporters but in the end kids and parents usually don't care about that.

Yea but if the last 5 years recruiting has taught us anything, it's that recruits don't care about staying close to home even though they say it and mommas want it. How many times have we heard that line to watch a kid pass up A&M or Texas and sign with Bama or lsu or Ole miss or Ohio st... This year only 4 of the top 20 kids in texas are going to likely sign with Texas schools. That's crazy! And I remember (close to home) being mentioned several times by most recruits when talking to Texas and A&M reporters but in the end kids and parents usually don't care about that.

A certain door was opened to the east and teams are flooding Texas for our kids even more now than ever

A certain door was opened to the east and teams are flooding Texas for our kids even more now than ever

Hey, if either one of our teams could field even a decent team it wouldn't be happening... the door is opened more by our teams/staffs own incompetence more than the A&M to sec move.

I agree. Most recruits won't make decision on closeness to home but it gives you an advantage. I'll say Graham is wrapped up and eat my crow if he chooses ou.

This weekend Texas needed to hit a homer in with momma and show Taquon how he'll be used in the defense and by all accounts both of those were direct hits. It'd be nice if he didn't visit other schools and just shut it down but I wouldn't demand that he honor his commitment and not visit.

Hey, if either one of our teams could field even a decent team it wouldn't be happening... the door is opened more by our teams/staffs own incompetence more than the A&M to sec move.

Texas has recruited top 10 classes while putting a laughable product. It's not hurting Texas that bad, it's tcu, Baylor, tech, and even the Oklahoma schools the most. OU used to hit Texas hard, but a lot of those recruits are now going to LSU, ole miss, Arkansas, miss st, auburn. Bama has always cherry picked Texas but it seems they're taking 3-4 each cycle. Yes it has hurt, and Texas and aTm being down has hurt some. However like I said it's not hurting Texas as bad as it is the other schools in state.

Ohio St is the biggest problem!

They're doing work in Texas for sure

If Herman wins this upcoming year you will see a lot of the going OOS stop. I don't remember the exact numbers but a high percentage of the top 20 or so kids in Texas next year are in the Houston area. Their was a quote from Max Wright ( #4 ranked player in Texas for 2018, SDE ) with him saying a lot of the top guys in Houston have Texas as the #1 choice because they all like Herman and just want to see wins. This is all a moot point if Texas has another crappy season, then you'll see guys like 5* CB Anthony Cook and others head OOS just like this year.

I also think we will see Stan Drayton pull a couple of big time OOS kids for Texas.

If Herman wins this upcoming year you will see a lot of the going OOS stop. I don't remember the exact numbers but a high percentage of the top 20 or so kids in Texas next year are in the Houston area. Their was a quote from Max Wright ( #4 ranked player in Texas for 2018, SDE ) with him saying a lot of the top guys in Houston have Texas as the #1 choice because they all like Herman and just want to see wins. This is all a moot point if Texas has another crappy season, then you'll see guys like 5* CB Anthony Cook and others head OOS just like this year.

I also think we will see Stan Drayton pull a couple of big time OOS kids for Texas.

I think Herman would have to intentionally try to lose in order to not go 8-4 or better next season. If Charlie Strong was even a halfway decent coach he wins 8 this year. I still can't believe so many if you were on his jock for so long just because he had some core values he borrowed from urban Meyer lol

I always find it funny when a kid chooses Texas or A&M over Oklahoma to "stay close to home", but Norman is actually closer to their hometown than Austin or College Station.

I think Herman would have to intentionally try to lose in order to not go 8-4 or better next season. If Charlie Strong was even a halfway decent coach he wins 8 this year. I still can't believe so many if you were on his jock for so long just because he had some core values he borrowed from urban Meyer lol

I'll bite.

The prevailing theme by most pundits at the end of the Mack era was it had turned into a "country club." Whoever was hired was going to have to revamp the culture and mindset. I think Charlie succeeded is this area. I think Charlie succeeded in recruiting.

Where Charlie did not succeed the most was in staffing. I think Charlie made a good hire at OC this past year, but it was too late. Needed that kind of offense from the get go. I think he rode the Bedford train too long as well as a DC.

The man is obviously a good football coach. He got Louisville playing good ball. The defense was WAY better once he took over mid year. But he did not make good decisions around himself at critical positions and it bit him in the rear. His lack of success the first two years built up the pressure this year which resulted in losing 5 games by 1 possession.