Rooster Cogburn

once had a jr high player tell me that dad( community coach and expert of course) did not want him lifting that day because he was to pitch in a little league game that evening. After I stopped laughing and rolling on the floor, the kid lifted. No college offers came his way.

• Like 1

As a former coach I personally didn't like for my athletes to lift on a gameday, and preferred a routine that still allowed for lifting during the week but just not on gameday. I'm not saying that lifting on gameday is detrimental to the athlete's performance in the game later in the day, but it's just a personal preference.

• Like 1

Mr Locke,

What's your scenario?

My scenario is this...after football season we all believe in lifting and running programs but with games on Tuesday and Friday from October till May how do you get all your kids in the program together..when your Basketball and Baseball coaches are wanting them....I would love to lift and run 5 days a week but because our AD did not require the football team to lift during his season the Spring coaches are rebelling and are asking for equality..so now we are handcuffed not having our football players who play these sports not in the weight room and it is driving me crazy

My scenario is this...after football season we all believe in lifting and running programs but with games on Tuesday and Friday from October till May how do you get all your kids in the program together..when your Basketball and Baseball coaches are wanting them....I would love to lift and run 5 days a week but because our AD did not require the football team to lift during his season the Spring coaches are rebelling and are asking for equality..so now we are handcuffed not having our football players who play these sports not in the weight room and it is driving me crazy

Sounds like the AD needs to clean house this spring........

• Like 1

I've seen some schools where the baseball team isn't even part of athletics, and once football is over the kids who are going to baseball are kicked out. So those baseball teams never join in the offseason fun and those programs suffer greatly from it. Basketball usually practices during the period and gets a lift in on non game days after school.

Those that play basket ball may not be lifting as much but are surely working out as hard as anyone IMO. Not to many lineman crossover to basketball but those who do get a chance to develop endurance and quickness. The ones that have the heart still will work on their strength. As far as many skill positions basketball is as good as off season. Especially receivers. Just my opinion. Baseball dosen't crossover near as much

My response as the AD would be "you can have equality in the unemployment line"

• Like 1

For smaller classification where kids play more then one sport. Lift three days a week year round for everybody for every sport so to form the bond of shared suffering for a common goal and as the kids get older they become bigger, stronger, faster.

Football/Cross Country (Start of School until Football season is done)

Lift Monday, Wednesday, Thursday ( JV on Friday)

Tuesday and Friday work sport specific as everybody else runs/matt drills/agility/lift more

Basketball- Seniors can go with the basketball coach during the period if he wants them to. (From the end of Football to the end of Basketball)

Lift Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
Tuesday and Friday work sport specific as everybody else runs/matt drills/agility/lift more

Baseball/Track ( Seniors help the baseball coach get the field ready.) (From the end of Basketball until the end of baseball)

No need to go to a track meet every week and this time of year requires some tinkering.

Lift Monday and Wednesday ...Baseball on Tuesday ....Everybody does the track workout on Thursday...Baseball on Friday...

Once Baseball is over Workout Monday Wednesday Thursday

Work football on Tuesday and Friday. Everybody else get ready for cross country