Hallsville hires Mineola's Joe Drennon as AD/Head Football Coach...

Smoaky

Oh please forgive me for being so ignorant! I had no idea Surratt was only a good head football coach & so inadequate at his AD duties & Carthage is barely sub-par in all other sports. How could I be so foolish to believe I could carry on a conversation with someone of your intellect!

NP you just didn't understand what we were taking about and for some reason Carthage was brought into the conversation.

• Like 1

Hey Zone, These guys are only concerned with making the Lion look and sound stupid, no one actually is concerned with applicants or any possible interviews. I know for a fact that our Super has reached out to a few folks because I talked to one of the guys he was recruiting, but this guy said he loved his job where he is. All I can get from boosters is we are actively looking. We parents just this past week got a survey from the Super asking us what qualities we are looking for in a Coach/AD, and what we expect of the program and so forth, so I'm sure the process is going to be ongoing for a while. It seems the Super is looking in the right direction.

I'm sure we will get a good coach, and I know Hallsville is a hard sell even with the great facilities, but it is a good community, and is growing like crazy still. The biggest problem I see is the old school town folks ( the ones with influence) want to see winning football but they can't accept change, some of them think 10 years was not enough time to get a great program going. We have an uphill battle in that regard. Some of them still think Tony Romo can win the super bowl! The challenges are great here for a coach, but hopefully someone strong will step up and accept the fight.

• Like 1

Unlike them I know one of the them . Not saying he will get it by any means but would change that place. Contrary to what dtrump says , hallsville will get a good coach regardless of whom they choose.

I happen to know three of the applicants. Also I never said Hallsville would not end up getting a good coach.

I have a lot of friends in Hallsville so I hope they pick the right man. I just disagree with the one you keep talking about. Nothing personal but I think there are better applicants IMO.

The biggest problem I see is the old school town folks ( the ones with influence) want to see winning football but they can't accept change, some of them think 10 years was not enough time to get a great program going. We have an uphill battle in that regard. Some of them still think Tony Romo can win the super bowl! The challenges are great here for a coach, but hopefully someone strong will step up and accept the fight.

Hmmm. I do not get a sense of this at all. I have lived in Hallsville my whole life and have been a season ticket holder ever since I moved back from Austin upon graduating from UT almost 30 years ago. I know a lot of folks and believe me, they have been seeking a change for years.

Will the new Coach be allowed to bring his own guys in? I've heard there is a lot of Coaches on the staff that are long tenured. Will they be allowed to be replaced?

Surely he will be able too pick his staff.

Agree to disagree on the later and I bet there is some quality candidates on hallsville 's list.

You don't know the other applicants.

Dude like you actually know what I know and vice versa. Geez it's a freaking sports forum. I could know anyone for that matter.

You are out there man! You told me in a PM who you knew that had applied. I knew it before you sent me the PM.

I also know of two more but you can believe I want PM them to you. That would be like telling all the local newspapers and radio stations.

I worked for some of these guys while laid off from real job and I assure you they and lots of the folks I spoke to were and are Plunk lovers. They blamed his record on everything but him. I've been here and grew up close enough to here to know lots of folks, including some school board members, so I feel I can give an honest assessment of some local sentiment. I'm not saying everyone feels that way, but most of them are scared to say anything publicly, nor will they attend board meetings to voice their concerns or opinions. Personally I feel I can be objective regarding this considering I no longer have any kids competing. I say 10 years is enough to determine if someone can accomplish the dream of winning.

I know several people that attending Hallsville. And I have been to some of the games. Plunk may be loved by some of the people. I know some of his decisions on the field were questionable. Some of Hallsville athletes don't even play football because they know they will not see the field. Hallsville playing time is strictly who knows the coach. Hopefully they get someone that wants to win. And will not have any outside influences on who plays.

I know several people that attending Hallsville. And I have been to some of the games. Plunk may be loved by some of the people. I know some of his decisions on the field were questionable. Some of Hallsville athletes don't even play football because they know they will not see the field. Hallsville playing time is strictly who knows the coach. Hopefully they get someone that wants to win. And will not have any outside influences on who plays.

lol this is always the dumbest excuse.

coaches dont just look at the kids on the team and say, "well youre pretty darn good but i dont like you so i think i would rather lose and play the kid i do like"

now, are there certain situations where kids get preferential treatment, most definitely. but rarely is it ever to the extent of starter quality players just sitting on the sideline for 48 minutes

• Like 1

lol this is always the dumbest excuse.

coaches dont just look at the kids on the team and say, "well youre pretty darn good but i dont like you so i think i would rather lose and play the kid i do like"

now, are there certain situations where kids get preferential treatment, most definitely. but rarely is it ever to the extent of starter quality players just sitting on the sideline for 48 minutes

Oh yea. Definitely happen. I actually went to the Hallsville/Kilgore scrimmage and some of the better players for Hallsville in the scrimmage hardly got any playing time in the regular season. And it has happen before hand. I've been following Hallsville since Roger Adams days.

Oh yea. Definitely happen. I actually went to the Hallsville/Kilgore scrimmage and some of the better players for Hallsville in the scrimmage hardly got any playing time in the regular season. And it has happen before hand. I've been following Hallsville since Roger Adams days.

You are absolutely right! a lot of times these small programs lose because they are playing their favorites instead of the best players. And Hallsville wants to win, but I guarantee you they want to win as long as they can win with the "player" they want. I'd bet they'd need a complete overhaul to change the program into a winning one. New coaches who don't have favorites.