Mount Vernon Girls Coach Floyd

TheShadowKnows

yes it was answered,.it depends upon the booster club operating procedures which is what I typed

If the club procedures are not in print then at some point you will have a problem. Use of booster club funds get people in a bind when there is not a paper trail and clear procedures are not followed.

Pig, I dont have a dog in this hunt, I am not attempting to help/hurt/defend/persecute anyone just pointing out a couple of facts. Since I have zero knowledge of the particulars of what you typed, for me to make a judgment would be a assumption on my part. I wont take that bait.

I don't know much, but I know a slush fund can land you in jail.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coach Brad Floyd was issued a public reprimand, three years probation, a suspension for the first five games of next basketball season and required additional training of the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules......Mount Vernon High School was issued a public reprimand and two years probation.

What should a school superintendent recommend to do to a coach that was found guilty ( but the coach claimed he was innocent) by the UIL on many violations and given a public reprimand, name in the leaguer, 5 game suspension from coaching next year, additional continuing education classes dealing with rule and ethics violation, and a personal 3 year probation while also giving mvisd a blanket 2 year probation in all things pertaining to UIL activities at the school? I mean the one act play, band, debate team, or another sport gets into trouble in the next two years, and the UIL can drop the hammer on the school.

If Floyd is smart he goes into "private buisness" or private school or college coaching for three years, and then gets back into the high-school ranks, and if he wins all sins are forgiven or forgotten.

If you read the rules...as the coach, he isn't supposed to deal with the $ from the booster club. It could have been a million things from getting a gift of over $500 worth of stuff (clothes, gear, etc) to him paying for something. If he had done something MAJOR, they would have fired him. I would imagine the super wanted to pull the trigger and the school board said hold up here, let's take a look at what the UIL really has to say. Maybe even let him take care of whatever.

If you go in and read the UIL Executive Committee meetings press releases, this is all pretty normal...dropping the probation's. Now, the suspension for the game(s) is a tough one...it says, "hey coach, you screwed up and you're paying for it".

I would imagine to think he could go the college route is humorous...his suspension would probably carry over til he came back to HS coaching and does he have a "big name" to go into college ball?

• Like 1

What should a school superintendent recommend to do to a coach that was found guilty ( but the coach claimed he was innocent) by the UIL on many violations and given a public reprimand, name in the leaguer, 5 game suspension from coaching next year, additional continuing education classes dealing with rule and ethics violation, and a personal 3 year probation while also giving mvisd a blanket 2 year probation in all things pertaining to UIL activities at the school? I mean the one act play, band, debate team, or another sport gets into trouble in the next two years, and the UIL can drop the hammer on the school.

If Floyd is smart he goes into "private buisness" or private school or college coaching for three years, and then gets back into the high-school ranks, and if he wins all sins are forgiven or forgotten.

Said Supt. at said school has gotten rid of most those involved in these listed activities, so all is well. Floyd was the only one he tried to run off, and the school board would not let him. I just wonder what's next. Or rather, who goes first. Supt. or Floyd. My bet? Supt. But my wife said I was stupid this morning for no reason. I guess I have been wrong before....I personally hope they win state. And then give Floyd a parade....

• Like 1

what is the reason, in your opinion, that those other people got let go? Was the supt acting under the direction of the school board, is he/she trying to wrestle power away from people or was there other unethical things going on that forced those other people out, but they did not disputing thier guilt so it was not brought out in the open?

there can be many things in a school district (or any company) that when they come to light are automatic dismissal situations...and from an HR standpoint, it doesn't get out "hopefully" to prevent a lawsuit against the district. In the old days, it would have disappeared and the person would have gone and got another teaching/coaching job, no big deal...now it does follow you and you'd have to put it on any app that you were fired or resigned in lieu of being fired or resigned while under investigation --- any of which would cause some serious issues getting a new gig unless you had some serious pull somewhere and a great mental eraser for folks.

Read the UIL meeting report. Coach Floyd and boys basketball Coach Thomas who has not been mentioned in this thread were both reprimanded and put on probation for breaking off season practice rules and summer league rules. Nothing mentioned about booster club funds.

• Like 1

As required by district and state policies, Mount Vernon ISD Superintendent......

....allegations of possible misconduct against Coach Brad Floyd in connection with the Mt. Vernon Lady Tiger Basketball bank account. For more information about these letters, see the February 2 edition of the Mount Vernon Optic-Herald.[/size][/font][/color]

Money had something to do with it

• 2 weeks later...

whats your beef with Floyd?

FYI...booster clubs are independent of the school ..financially these clubs operate outside of school policies and procedures and have their own bank accounts

Not really correct...from the UIL Booster Club Guidelines - "The superintendent is solely responsible for the entire UIL program. All school activities, organizations (including the booster club), events and personnel are under the jurisdiction of the superintendent. Booster clubs must recognize this authority and work within a framework prescribed by the school administration."

In addition - "Periodic financial statements itemizing all receipts and expenditures should be made to the general club membership and kept on file at the school."

I know our booster club submits a monthly financial statement to the superintendent and the business manager.

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/booster-guide.pdf

Not really correct...from the UIL Booster Club Guidelines - "The superintendent is solely responsible for the entire UIL program. All school activities, organizations (including the booster club), events and personnel are under the jurisdiction of the superintendent. Booster clubs must recognize this authority and work within a framework prescribed by the school administration."

In addition - "Periodic financial statements itemizing all receipts and expenditures should be made to the general club membership and kept on file at the school."

I know our booster club submits a monthly financial statement to the superintendent and the business manager.

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/booster-guide.pdf

Key word there is guideline Rooster...it is not a requirement unless the local BC has that exact info written into their operating by-laws...read the opening statement in the UIL BC page listed below

"These Booster Club Guidelines are published by the University Interscholastic League (UIL) in order to assist schools and parents with determining the proper role for local booster clubs to play as they support the students who participate in UIL sponsored contests and activities. These guidelines are general in nature and are not intended to provide legal advice or act as a substitute for the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules. In case of any disagreement between these guidelines and the law or UIL rules, the law and/or UIL rules, as applicable, will control. These Guidelines are not a substitute for an opinion from the State Executive Committee and may not be relied upon as such. These Guidelines are subject to change by UIL staff at any time and without notice."

Key word there is guideline Rooster...it is not a requirement unless the local BC has that exact info written into their operating by-laws...read the opening statement in the UIL BC page listed below

"These Booster Club Guidelines are published by the University Interscholastic League (UIL) in order to assist schools and parents with determining the proper role for local booster clubs to play as they support the students who participate in UIL sponsored contests and activities. These guidelines are general in nature and are not intended to provide legal advice or act as a substitute for the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules. In case of any disagreement between these guidelines and the law or UIL rules, the law and/or UIL rules, as applicable, will control. These Guidelines are not a substitute for an opinion from the State Executive Committee and may not be relied upon as such. These Guidelines are subject to change by UIL staff at any time and without notice."

All I know is you can't have school funds in a personal bank account that has no oversight.

Ronster...not Rooster...lol

Our BC has a detailed set of bylaws...these bylaws were even submitted to our superintendent to ensure that we were inline with board and UIL policy.

Well, I know it is in our local policy and should be in everyone's...IMO