Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

The AD/HC position may pay well for East Texas but the assistant positions do not. I'm pretty sure the coordinators both teach full class schedules and that the other assistants don't even have a conference period. This makes it difficult to recruit (and retain) quality assistants.

If the baseball/softball field and gym have received renovations then I stand corrected in that regard. However, the football stadium still needs some major renovations. It's embarrassing that a 5A school makes the visiting coaches sit in an open air press box. A newer, roomier, visitors locker room is also in order The video board and turf are top notch however!

I realize all new schools are being built, but I don't think Marshall really screams community support. How many bonds and tax raises failed before this one finally passed? It also, if memory serves, barely passed and was highly contested. It seems that these bonds should have easily passed with any community support as it was obvious that new schools were greatly needed.

No doubt Marshall has talent, however, I think the days of dominating East Texas 5A teams might be over. There may be a year here and there where an East Texas 5A makes a run, but the days of doing it consistently may be in the rear view mirror. Too many people are moving to the suburbs where there are larger tax bases and newer nicer facilities and jobs.

Good luck to the superintendent, school board, and hiring committee, may they find someone who values the kids and will put them and Marshall first!

Ontheinside,

The second facilities bond passed with almost 60% of the vote and passed by almost 1,000 votes. Those numbers seem pretty supportive to me. The bond was highly contested, as is very tax increase in today's political climate. By this time next year, Marshall will have three brand new elementary schools, a renovated STEM academy, and a brand new 6-8th grade junior high (which will be the nicest junior high in East Texas). Every kid in kindergarten through 8th grade will be attending a new school. Word on the street is that renovations on the high school may even start this summer. In less than six or seven months, Marshall's facilities problems will be a thing of the past. And the stadium, Marshall has a beautiful Athletic Complex, which is only six or seven years old, new Field Turf, and a brand new video board. I could care less that the visitor's coaches sit outside or that the visitor's locker room isn't new. Neither one of those affect Marshall kids or Marshall coaches.

Coaches do get conference periods in Marshall, but the days of coaches teaching PE are over. Welcome to state accountability. The vast majority of school districts can't support coaches who don't teach. Back in Marshall's hay day, the OC was a history teacher and the DC was a health teacher. Not sure why teaching a class is a big deal. There is a reason football is referred to as an "extra curricular" activity.

Both 5A districts last year were train wrecks. Marshall's district was the worst 5A district in the state. All the teams were terrible. The right person at the right time can win lot's of football games in East Texas, a la Scott Surratt in Carthage. The key is finding that person. I totally agree with your last statement.

Just for the record......the AD/HC position at MISD isn't a low paying job. It's not Longview-type money, but it's probably near the top of East Texas 5A.

But I doubt many districts in the region could compete with the money Duncanville ISD flashed at him for an administrative position without having to coach. Can't fault him for that.

Agree with the statement about Supt's using MISD as a stepping stone. But not so much about money.... but more about size. We are a medium sized district..... and Duncanville has almost 3 times as many students, which is where Dr. Smith went.

Every student in MISD will be in new schools K-8 starting next year thanks to a $110 million dollar bond (4 new schools). So I beg to differ about the "suspect when it comes to supporting education" statement.

Football remains to be seen. There is tons of community support, the boosters are incredible...... those are things that can lead to a long term coach if he's willing to invest in the community long-term.

Serious upgrade to the facilities?.... I'll admit Maverick Stadium needs some work.... but the rest of the athletic facilities have been upgraded to top-notch in the short 4 years Harper was here. Gym, Baseball, softball.... all are in Grade A facilities thanks to upgrades they've all gotten in the last couple of years.

Big job ahead for the school board.

Lots of talent coming back in 2017 from a very young and inexperienced squad last season that still managed a 6-4 regular season. They just ran into a beast in the first round of the playoffs.

Whoever gets the job will see a ton of talent. Not to mention a freshman squad that won the district championship last season. So even more coming.

Lots of work ahead. Good luck.....

and GO MAVS

Well, I wouldn't say Marshall is a stepping stone type of city... Maybe it is for the young coach, but had Harris not had his issues and Richters after that, I guarantee you they probably would both still be at Marshall ISD. The opportunity to make $100k+ as an AD of a large school district in DFW is a big deal. Ask the guy at Mesquite. It doesn't matter if you want to coach or not, when that comes calling, you have to think long and hard about it. It is a lot of money and it isn't co-dependent on you having to worry about students doing a lot of stupid stuff to help you win football games... In DFW, it is about managing the money and staff... now if you hire a bunch of abusive drunks or illegal recruiters as coaches, then you may have a problem...

Marshall is a school that people associate with the football playoffs. People will put their name in for this job. As long as they know what they are doing, they will win some football games and make good money doing it. Harper set the next guy up for success, whoever that may be...

Ontheinside,

The second facilities bond passed with almost 60% of the vote and passed by almost 1,000 votes. Those numbers seem pretty supportive to me. The bond was highly contested, as is very tax increase in today's political climate. By this time next year, Marshall will have three brand new elementary schools, a renovated STEM academy, and a brand new 6-8th grade junior high (which will be the nicest junior high in East Texas). Every kid in kindergarten through 8th grade will be attending a new school. Word on the street is that renovations on the high school may even start this summer. In less than six or seven months, Marshall's facilities problems will be a thing of the past. And the stadium, Marshall has a beautiful Athletic Complex, which is only six or seven years old, new Field Turf, and a brand new video board. I could care less that the visitor's coaches sit outside or that the visitor's locker room isn't new. Neither one of those affect Marshall kids or Marshall coaches.

Coaches do get conference periods in Marshall, but the days of coaches teaching PE are over. Welcome to state accountability. The vast majority of school districts can't support coaches who don't teach. Back in Marshall's hay day, the OC was a history teacher and the DC was a health teacher. Not sure why teaching a class is a big deal. There is a reason football is referred to as an "extra curricular" activity.

Both 5A districts last year were train wrecks. Marshall's district was the worst 5A district in the state. All the teams were terrible. The right person at the right time can win lot's of football games in East Texas, a la Scott Surratt in Carthage. The key is finding that person. I totally agree with your last statement.

Even the athletic trainers are almost forced to get teaching certifications now. If for nothing else, to be a substitute. The state funds any school employee with a teaching certificate from what I understand, whether they teach a full load or not. It is just a way of keeping your head above water.

I would be shocked if Keeling got it.

Would be even more shocked if Ford got it.

Sartain would be a long shot.

I wish coach Ludlow was a little older and more experienced. He's been a fantastic OC. Same with the DC. Both are up and coming coaches that have done big things in an hurry. But they lack experience.

Surrat just isn't happening. No program in East Texas could pull him away from Carthage. That's just a hard truth.

• Like 2

I think someone with HC experience is important but just as important is someone with AD experience. The disparity between boy's sports and girl's sports is glaring. There are numerous girls with talent at MISD and there was really no focus at all on girl's sports. It's sad really. Marshall definitely has the opportunity to make a great hire & hopefully it's someone that will pay attention to more than just football.

Keeling has a fairly good deal at Waskom, his son will be a freshman next year his daughter just made cheerleader for the 7th grade. His son will have a lot better chance playing at Waskom than Marshall. The football team will be moving into new facilities starting the new football season. All of his coaches are still in place for the most part. He will have a very good group of Juniors playing this year and Waskom should have a lot better season than last though not of the same caliber of past seasons. Marshall is a big jump going from 3AD2 to 5AD1 or 2 don't know which. With all that being said if a coach wants to coach at a higher level and wants to take that chance Marshall would be a good starting point.

This is what I see from the outside looking in. Marshall does have talent and from what I hear has a great freshman class that's really good. Coach Harper did help the football program overall but of course there is still always room for improvement. Most Boys sports did good as well. The girls side hasn't shown any progress. They probably need some changes there for sure. As far as potential replacements I'm sure there will be plenty of applicants. A lot of coordinators at larger schools and head coaches at smaller schools will most likely apply as well as many in between. Nobody can argue with the Waskom guys success. Waskom was one of the worst programs in the state before he got there. If he is interested they would be crazy not to entertain that. Scott Ford will probably try again since he is from Marshall but he may be happy in EF. Scott Surratt isn't a possibility. He has a great gig and is in one of the best spots in the state. I don't know anything about the current coordinators but they may apply. Sartain as been around the block a few times.. I don't think he would be the guy. All that said the job isn't even posted yet so what do we all know??! Lol. I hope they get them a good one.

• Like 1

Randy Jackson I belive was a finalist IIRC. He's at Grapevine now.... but it seems like he was at One of the Mesquite schools at the time. West Mesquite I think.

I googled it and there were 103 applications in 2013 after two historic program low seasons in 11 and 12 that went 3-17.

We're light years ahead of that now.... so I'd caterers should not only bring more names... but up the ante on who will come looking.

Good problem to have.

Lots of great quality names both inside the program and on the outside that could keep this train going strong and moving up to the next level.

Harper went for what he felt was a better job than Marshall.

Mavs can go for who they think is a better coach than Harper.

• Like 1

Randy Jackson just took the North Forney job.

Jeeez. That's three different jobs in 5 years.

Glad we didn't pick him.

Still shocked about Harper.

Money talks.

I'm just more shocked he's walking away from coaching to take an administrative position. Especially at his age.

Place bets he will be back in the sidelines in less than 4-5 years. Even if he's gotta fire the Dville coach to make it happen.

Strange turn of events for sure.