Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

I'm willing to bet Trevor Clark gets a shot this spring.

Otherwise it may be the Freshman. He led the 9th grade team to a 9-1 district title season.

Only loss was to........ wait for it........ wait for it...... shocker.......

Longview.

🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

My source is solid.

Knew about Harper leaving over a week before it happened.

Knew Mathis was the man almost a week before.

I had already been told by someone else he had withdrawn.

So if he's right about OC.... some people's heads may explode.

But at the end of the day.... the kids have got to produce. All the good coaching in the world won't mean anything without talent being developed.

Mathis is being tight lipped on who his coordinators will be. I'm not sure any of the varsity coaches will be retained. I haven't heard where they will have spring practice or not. I would not be surprised to see Bender get a shot at qb, he played wr last year but played qb as a freshman. He will be a junior this fall. Marshall's freshmen team has a lot of talent, size and speed. Their only loss was to Longview and it was close. I would say teams better get their licks in this year, but I also would not be surprised to see this team have some success.

If he'd take a job in Marshall.... he'd take a job at Lee.

Granted.... Lee has no where near the history Marshall does.... but Lee has recourses.

And it's been proven they have talent. They just need the right coach.

Granted.... Lee has no where near the history Marshall does.... but Lee has resources.

Don't be surprised to see Mathis in Marshall for the long haul. I saw where he stated that he made the move for his kids and that he'd be around "for a while" to see them through school. Champ is his oldest, he has kids coming up behind him.

I see a bunch of Coaches that win get labeled as "Get krunk" Coaches.

After multiple decades of Coaching here is what I know for a dang sure fact. Good coaches for the very most part find a way to coach at schools that have kids that can play ball. I have been 0-10 as a Coach and everyone there thought I knew nothing about coaching, I have coached the last week of the season in December too and had people I was pretty good at the job. What changed?

If you go multiple rounds deep on a consistent basis you can Coach a little bit even if you have great players. Very people that think they know a bunch about the game have no idea how hard it is to line up right on Friday night on a consistent basis much less win in Texas HS Football. The Coaching is dang good for the most part across the state at every level. You have to be good to survive.

• Like 2

🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

My source is solid.

Knew about Harper leaving over a week before it happened.

Knew Mathis was the man almost a week before.

I had already been told by someone else he had withdrawn.

So if he's right about OC.... some people's heads may explode.

But at the end of the day.... the kids have got to produce. All the good coaching in the world won't mean anything without talent being developed.

🤔🤔🤔

KTBS:

http://www.ktbs.com/story/35036922/marshall-introduces-claude-mathis-as-football-head-coach-ad

"I'm not coming in here to win district titles. No, we're coming to win state championships"

"I want to win. I want to win now"

--------

KTAL:

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/sports/claude-mathis-named-athletic-directorhead-football-coach-at-marshall/683403030

"we are going to work hard"

--------

KSLA:

http://www.ksla.com/clip/13214860/marshall-names-claude-mathis-as-ad-head-football-coach?autostart=true

Congratulations Marshall on the hire of yalls new coach. I wonder now if game tickets are going to double or triple in price now to count towards some of the coachs salary. I bet Mathis didn't come cheap $$$.. Its money well spent though

From what I heard.... It was a nice hike from what Harper was making (mid 90's) ....but not as much as people would think.

It puts him in line with what some other top coaches in East Texas are making.

Contrary to popular belief, there were lots of questions posed to the applicants about all sports. Marshall needs a solid AD to get all of the sports back on track. The girls sports have been atrocious as of late and only got worse over Harper's 4 years, not better. It's time to be good.......in everything.

• Like 1

Be good in everything?

So if Mathis wins 3 games over the next 3 years, but the girls programs greatly improve, he will be in no danger of losing his job? Or if he wins state twice in the next three years but the girls programs go winless, he will be fired? Come on now, you guys hired him to coach football and football will determine his success. Time to face the facts, only sport that matters in Texas (girls or boys) is football.

From what I understand.... MISD put someone else in charge of the girls sports a few months ago.

I'm assuming that will stay the same even with Mathis arriving.

It's true.... our girls sports have been atrocious this season. Even the sports we are normally strong in are struggling.

The softball team missed the playoffs for the first time in 22 seasons last year. Twenty two seasons!! And they are winless in district this year.

The girls soccer team scored one goal in district play. ONE goal in 12 games. Needless to say they went winless.

The girls basketball team, which traditionally has been competitive, was just terrible. Also went 0-12.

I think the volleyball team went 1-11. Maybe 2-10.

The girls CC team didn't even go compete at the district meet.

I agree that Mathis' #1 priority is to win football.

But he's also responsible for placing coaches in other sports to be responsible for their growth and success too.

I don't know if we have a coaching problem with the girls or an athlete problem. But something is amiss.

Almost all the boys sports are being successful. Football, basketball, soccer, powerlifting, golf, and now baseball.... all doing well.

Harper saw the swim team fold. It's all just individual competition now.

Still no girls golf after he said their would be.

Yeah. Time for a culture change for the girls.

Be good in everything?

So if Mathis wins 3 games over the next 3 years, but the girls programs greatly improve, he will be in no danger of losing his job? Or if he wins state twice in the next three years but the girls programs go winless, he will be fired? Come on now, you guys hired him to coach football and football will determine his success. Time to face the facts, only sport that matters in Texas (girls or boys) is football.

Baby Holy Ghost Praise.jpg

Merged the 2 threads into one.

Now..... question is.... will there be Spring Ball?

Seems like we are in dire need of it if we are needing to find a QB.

Last year....because of baseball playoffs..... spring ball didn't happen until May. That gives him a month to make it happen.

Next question is ...... 7 on 7. Do we continue the league play we've been doing? And will we see us participate in some SQT's.... which is something we haven't done since Harris was the coach.

Gonna be a busy few weeks.

Also heard Coach Lott will be returning to Marshall...... that's HUGE news for our Offensive Line.

Merged the 2 threads into one.

Now..... question is.... will there be Spring Ball?

Seems like we are in dire need of it if we are needing to find a QB.

Last year....because of baseball playoffs..... spring ball didn't happen until May. That gives him a month to make it happen.

Next question is ...... 7 on 7. Do we continue the league play we've been doing? And will we see us participate in some SQT's.... which is something we haven't done since Harris was the coach.

Gonna be a busy few weeks.

Also heard Coach Lott will be returning to Marshall...... that's HUGE news for our Offensive Line.

That's always good news about Lott. He likes structure, teaches fundamentals but also teaches the big boys to find a toughness that I've never seen another coach bring out in O Lineman...

The question isn't whether or not Marshall will do 7 on 7. The question is how much 7 on 7 will they do.

If Desoto was any example, Marshall will be involved in as much 7 on 7 as possible. Not to mention he's coming from pass happy SMU.

Granted.... Lee has no where near the history Marshall does.... but Lee has recourses.

1 horse town versus a 10-12 horse town. To many hands in the cookie jar at Lee. TISD admin is terrible. And having talent isn't 1 or 2 players on a campus that has 2600 kids. They just don't get the horses.

Congratulations to Marshall! Just hate that it ever opened and now a new staff is coming in. Hopefully they can keep the train on the track and pick up speed. This new Sup is a little fishy.

I hope he retains a good portion of Harper's staff....he really put together a great staff IMHO. They came to Marshall with a dumpster fire in 2013 and turned it around in a HURRY.

I could comment on how shady it is having people uproot and move to work for you.... only to have you bail on them 4 years in.... but apparently that's how things work in coaching these days. Kinda sad.

Here's to long term. Mathis addressed longevity at his press conference..... may just be words. But he made it sound like it's for the Long Haul. Said he wanted to be a HS coach...not college. Said he wanted to spend more time with his family....something being a D-1 coach doesn't allow. And said he wants to raise his kids in one place. SOOOO.....we shall see.

Lots of excitement. Maybe even more than when Southern was hired. I've been told it's equal or greater to when Dennis Parker was hired....but I was way too young to be aware of that.

Fun times ahead I predict.