Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

Wow. This would be a huge hire for Marshall.

Those saying they are worried he won't stay long, I can't say what he'll do, but college coaches put in ridiculous hours. During the season and recruiting the rest of the year. He's most likely looking for less time away from home as well as being a head coach again.

He was 74-18 at DeSoto

Made the playoffs every season he was there

Had back to back state semifinal appearances

I wonder what shape DHS was in before he arrived.

He was 24-15 at Austin LBJ in 05-07

Ended a 10 year playoff drought for them and made the playoffs all 3 seasons he was there.

That makes him 98-33 has a head coach and made the playoffs every single season.

That's impressive.

Again. Longevity is my concern.

Other than that.... not much to raise an eyebrow about compared to the other names.

His high school career so far has been stellar. Hopefully he'll give Marshall a few job years, he's definitely got a lot of talent there to work with.

I'd seen his name floating around back with Cedar Hill opened. Marshall's main issue may be keeping a DFW school from snatching him up.

Pardon my french but holy sh..you know the rest.

If Marshall gets Mathis that is HUGE. We're talking about the almost sure return of the 'old Marshall' who use to slap everyone around. While Marshall does not have the talent level of Desoto, Marshall players have similar skill sets as Desoto. This would be the biggest hire in East Texas in several years.

He was 74-18 at DeSoto

Made the playoffs every season he was there

Had back to back state semifinal appearances

I wonder what shape DHS was in before he arrived.

He was 24-15 at Austin LBJ in 05-07

Ended a 10 year playoff drought for them and made the playoffs all 3 seasons he was there.

That makes him 98-33 has a head coach and made the playoffs every single season.

That's impressive.

Again. Longevity is my concern.

Other than that.... not much to raise an eyebrow about compared to the other names.

Only two words kept him from winning a ring at Desoto.

Kyler-Murray. Marshall is getting a good one but I do agree that longevity is something to keep an eye on.

His high school career so far has been stellar. Hopefully he'll give Marshall a few job years, he's definitely got a lot of talent there to work with.

I'd seen his name floating around back with Cedar Hill opened. Marshall's main issue may be keeping a DFW school from snatching him up.

I'm hoping the lure to Marshall will be similar to why Texas High got their guy: single high school town.

I know that's attractive to a lot of coaches Vs working in a school district with multiple high schools.

I'm wishing our HC position was open now....ugh

Careful what you wish for Pack..... all it takes is one bad hire to bottom a program out. Trust me..... we learned that 5 years ago.

We were lucky though.... it only lasted us 2 seasons. Some programs bottom out and never recover.

• Like 2

Im not sure why Keeling pulled out. Probably he just knew he had a good situation in Waskom or maybe he knew he wasnt getting the Marshall job. Either way im glad he is staying there. What a great turn around in a short time. Who ever Marshall hires wont be a long term fix! No way Mathis comes in and stays 5-10 years. He is not an East Texas guy. Marshall will be open again in 2-3 yrs.

Careful what you wish for Pack..... all it takes is one bad hire to bottom a program out. Trust me..... we learned that 5 years ago.

We were lucky though.... it only lasted us 2 seasons. Some programs bottom out and never recover.

True, but that is the risk that I'm willing to take. This Pack program is basically on life support right now anyways. I just think we need some type of change with the football program. Some new ideas or something to come in and bring life back into this program. I know several of those losses were to good teams, but we've had too many losses in the first round. I still haven't recovered from that choke job against the lobos. I think you were there. Whatever Quick is doing just isn't working out. We have too much talent to be losing in the first round every year imo. It's not like we're winning district and competing for state right now anyways with our current staff. So, I'm ok with them making a change at some point.
  • Like 1

Sources telling me Marshall ISD is negotiating with current SMU assistant coach and former DeSoto Head Coach Claude Mathis to become new AD/Head Football Coach at Marshall.

Waskom's Whitney Keeling called me on Sunday and said he's withdrawn his name from consideration.

Eventually, a name will be taken to the school board on Thursday.

Welp, if this is true, Longview is up Doo-Doo Creek without a paddle. This man gets the absolute MOST out of his players.

I thought Harper left for more money?

It was one of the reasons. No doubt.

But the #1 reason was that he followed Dr Smith. The guy is just a phenomenal Superintendent and boss.

Just look what he accomplished in Marshall before he left. I don't think people realize how hard it is to pass a massive bond in East Texas. Ask Gilmer. ask White Oak. It took Pine Tree 3-4 attempts before theirs passed. List goes on and on.

He did it in two attempts. And starting this coming fall.... every single student in MISD will be in a brand new school K-8th grade. That's 4 elementary schools and a new JH. In East Texas. In Marshall. With nearly 5500 students. No small feat.

I think Duncanville faces similar challenges in facility needs on the horizon. But the driving force is the fact that DISD's athletic program is stellar. Girls BB just won state.

Impossible to turn that job down.

BUT..... this is my prediction. Harper isn't going to stay long.

He's still young. He's a football coach. They guy likes to jump around and yell. He's passionate. He loves the game. The athletes.

I don't think he's going to like counting paper clips and working on schedules. I don't think he's going to like a desk job.... no matter how much money he's making. JMHO.

----------

Reasons I think Mathis will stay:

Lots of talent coming up. He could build something very special here. Some guys just love being a HS coach. And being at the top of the heap for a long time is attractive to them. Esp in a one HS town. Same reason Texas High got their guy. Look how many jobs outlaw turned down when he was at Lufkin. Look at Fedora. The guy at Aledo. Celina. Etc... etc.

And with the completion of all the school projects this summer ....... I'm willing to bet MISD is about to turn their attention to some major renovations and possible smaller bond to take care of MHS and its facilities. The building is just over 30 year old and in need of a facelift. Most of the athletic facilities are in tip top shape. But Maverick Stadium needs some attention (lighting, concessions, restroooms).

That's got to be attractive to a coach. The baseball, softball, and gym are all in outstanding shape with recent upgrades. Knowing your facility is likely next (stadium) has got to make your chops water.

Biggest reason to stay IMHO: community support. Even in our lean years..... it was strong. Yes. Crowds were smaller. That's expected when you go 1-9. But I bet we had some of the best 1-9 crowds in Texas (minus the sub-freezing meltdown at MP). But......,,when we're actually winning.... it's special. Very special.

Reasons he would leave:

Money would be one reason. But I don't think it's the #1.

The main reason he would leave would be at a 6A program. And most likely na 6A program in a metro area. The guy has coached in Austin, Houston, and Dallas.

East Texas has little to nothing in common with any of those 3.