Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

Chad Morris found out real quick Mathis is nothing more than a get krunk coach. It's not coincidence that Desoto won a state title the second he's no longer the head coach there

You clearly know very little about Desoto. Kyler Murray is the only reason they don't have at minimum two titles. A couple of bad bounces and super plays made by Murray was the difference between a win and lost. Anyone who saw those games (I saw them both) will tell you Desoto was just as good as Allen. Desoto was a D2 team playing in the D1 bracket. I can't say if Peterman is a great coach or not but he did bring home a state championship. Mathis at Marshall will bring him players who Marshall would typically not get. He may not turn Marshall into a state championship caliber team but I would bet the farm they dominate their district and make some nice playoff runs. The Mavericks just need to go to the soccer team and find a kicker. Mathis does not give a flip about the kicking game.

• Like 1

Welp, if this is true, Longview is up Doo-Doo Creek without a paddle. This man gets the absolute MOST out of his players.

That must be true. we either had a cold front blow through or some have heard the news. I saw some guys with forest green Ts shaking in their shoes.

Tomorrow is the big day. I hope it proves to be what everyone is saying.

Been told the athletes are pumped up. That's always good to hear.

Now the question becomes.... who stays and who goes?

OC Ludlow is very well liked by the players. And his offense was the sole reason we were as successful as we were last season as our defense struggled most of the year.

If our QB position had matured more.... the offense could have been deadly. But that never fully came to fruition.

The D.C. Is a great guy. Had some struggles last year defensively, but they were doing some rebuilding from a very experienced 2015 squad.

It should be much improved in 2017.

My hope is that we don't see massive wholesale changes. I don't think it's needed. But..... I know that's the norm. Sadly.

Coming days and weeks are critical.

Name the guy.

Get staff in position

Spring ball

QB search?

Will be interesting how our prticipation in 7 on 7 could change. Coach Harper supported the weekly league games in the summer. But he wasn't a fan of the SQTs.

Wonder if we rev up participation in those.

Exciting times ATM for Mav fans

I would think Mathis will bring in his own OC and DC. I am sure he has his guys he wants to bring in. Now I would think he would do like Surratt did, and keep some of the older coaches and some of the very long tenured coaches if y'all have them. Mathis is probably going to want to have a pretty good bit of control over the offense given that's his background. But who knows. Just have to wait and see.

:lol: UnclePig, would you elaborate for me what a "get krunk" coach is?

I think it's an awesome title and would love to steal it from you, but I want to make sure I'm clear on its meaning. I know the expression "get krunk," but I'm not quite sure how you're using it to describe Mathis. Do you mean that he's a "cool" coach, who gets the players excited with trending hashtags and swagcopters and such?

:lol: UnclePig, would you elaborate for me what a "get krunk" coach is?

I think it's an awesome title and would love to steal it from you, but I want to make sure I'm clear on its meaning. I know the expression "get krunk," but I'm not quite sure how you're using it to describe Mathis. Do you mean that he's a "cool" coach, who gets the players excited with trending hashtags and swagcopters and such?

haha you know he meant it as that he gets the boys fired up, but lacks in Xs and Os...

Showing more ignorance than anything.

If all High Schools needed were "get krunk" coaches, there would be a lot more winners in this state than we currently have.

• Like 1

Yeah. 74-18 is easy to do against the likes of Duncanville, Cedar Hill, etc

Taking Allen to the brink not once..... but twice was easy.

Never missing the playoffs and winning district titles is easy.

Making the semifinals is easy.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Looks like Coach Mathis has a son that will be a junior next year. I am sure he is a stud. Looks like he played CB at Desoto. Could be one of the reasons he wanted to come back and coach. I saw a YouTube video of him talking about coaching in college, and he mentioned that was one of the things he would miss. Not sure his personal life, but I would think his son would be coming with him. Marshall might add another stud to the roster.

Yeah. 74-18 is easy to do against the likes of Duncanville, Cedar Hill, etc

Taking Allen to the brink not once..... but twice was easy.

Never missing the playoffs and winning district titles is easy.

Making the semifinals is easy.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

You'd think Mathis is 18-74 with the way some of these posters are acting.

Marshall is getting a tremendous hire. Nevermind the haters.

You'd think Mathis is 18-74 with the way some of these posters are acting.

Marshall is getting a tremendous hire. Nevermind the haters.

Right?

And they only mention what he did at DeSoto.....

He completely turned around a dormant Austin LBJ team too.... had them in the playoffs for the first time in a decade when he was down there. Made the playoffs all 3 seasons he was there.

Can you imagine if a coach went to PT and had them in the playoffs for the first time since (2000?) and then 3 consecutive years?

Guy would be considered a genius.

Let them hate.... wait till they find out who the rumor for OC is..... LMAO.

Right?

He completely turned around a dormant Austin LBJ team too.... had them in the playoffs for the first time in a decade when he was down there. Made the playoffs all 3 seasons he was there.

Can you imagine if a coach went to PT and had them in the playoffs for the first time since (2000?) and then 3 consecutive years?

Too make a big waves it woud hav to b somebode like kerryStrong.

Yall were ripping Keeling for not turning around a girls program that might be the worst in the State. 2nd to only Marshall. Now yall are ripping a guy that isnt even hired yet. But Mathis did less with more than anyone. He leaves and Desoto and they win State. They have 20-30 guys go play college football every year. He wont have that in Marshall. The reason yall didnt want Keeling was he hasnt turned a girls program around!!!! But he is like 70-25. Won back to back State Championships and turned the worst into first. Maybe Mathis was better. I guess we will see.

Right?

Art Briles?

• Like 2

Yall were ripping Keeling for not turning around a girls program that might be the worst in the State. 2nd to only Marshall. Now yall are ripping a guy that isnt even hired yet. But Mathis did less with more than anyone. He leaves and Desoto and they win State. They have 20-30 guys go play college football every year. He wont have that in Marshall. The reason yall didnt want Keeling was he hasnt turned a girls program around!!!! But he is like 70-25. Won back to back State Championships and turned the worst into first. Maybe Mathis was better. I guess we will see.

"Y'all" = everyone. Marshall fans cared nothing about the girls program. In fact, Marshall fans only questioned the ability to adjust from small school ball where kids go both ways and 1 stud could win you a district championship to Marshall where if you rely on one kid to win you a game, its over.

Look, the guy is a fantastic coach. Who knows what he coulda woulda been in Marshall... BUT when you have a guy who is proven at the biggest of schools vs a guy who is proven at the smallest of schools, when you are technically a big school yourself... I mean, you are essentially asking people to accept that the bigger juicier watermelon is worse than the smaller juicier watermelon...