Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

People who make fun of Karnack also pick on the blind and the poor. Probably point and laugh at the fat kid too.

No. Just you.

And only because you feel the need to bash anything that has to do with MISD, the school board, bond issues, buildings, coaches, athletic teams, the color of the sky...... You seem to have a lot of time to sit around and gripe and moan about something you care so little about.

What's your axe to grind about the Mavs?

Meanwhile.....back on the farm.......

No spring ball. But should have a 7 on 7 schedule real soon.

Still just talk on the OC guy. Nothing denied or confirmed.

I saw on Twitter Ricklan Holmes was in Marshall yesterday visiting with Mathis.

Maybe a rebirth of the JT rivalry in the future?

-------

Worth noting since no one has brought it up.....

Because of Louisiana's realignment this past winter and forced the cancellation of the Marshall-Ouachita game. They couldn't work it out in the schedule.

That sent Harper in to scramble mode just to get a 10th game..... which is nearly impossible during a non-alignment year.

The result.... we're playing Alvin ISD's newest HS...Shadow Creek. It just opened this past fall and played a non-varsity schedule. They went 7-2.

Part of me thinks this should be an easy game for the Mavs..... much easier than playing Ouachita.

But...then I remember back to 2007 Cy Woods.

Not really excited about this game...but...it's better than a 9 game schedule.

With Texas Alignment coming....it will be interesting to see if Mathis can get us some intriguing non-district games.

Especially with the possibility of returning to Region III in 2018.

I don't bash. I only call out poor decisions made by the district. They under perform only second to Longview.

I still can't figure out how losses in state championship games are underachieving...

Are you KarnackKing because you are the only one left living there? :lol:

I'm just trying to figure out who we've lost to in the playoffs recently that we shouldn't have.

Every team we've lost to was better..... or exponentially better than us.

2010- Sherman. Lost to them in Bi-district. They were a 9-1 district champ.

2013- Wylie. Lost to them in Bi-district. They advanced all the way to the quarterfinals.

2014- SOC. Lost to them in Bi-district. They advanced all the way to the semifinals.

2015- Frisco Lone Star. Lost to them in the region semis. They were state runner-ups

2016- Wylie East. Lost to them in Bi-district. They advanced to the region semis. They beat state champion Highland Park in week 11.

While that Sherman game was winnable for us..... every single one of those teams was better than us. In some cases MUCH better than us. It's not like we lost because of poor coaching or bad management. We lost because they were all better than us.

I don't see the problem. We need to get better to compete with these teams.

• Like 1

I'm just trying to figure out who we've lost to in the playoffs recently that we shouldn't have.

Every team we've lost to was better..... or exponentially better than us.

2010- Sherman. Lost to them in Bi-district. They were a 9-1 district champ.

2013- Wylie. Lost to them in Bi-district. They advanced all the way to the quarterfinals.

2014- SOC. Lost to them in Bi-district. They advanced all the way to the semifinals.

2015- Frisco Lone Star. Lost to them in the region semis. They were state runner-ups

2016- Wylie East. Lost to them in Bi-district. They advanced to the region semis. They beat state champion Highland Park in week 11.

While that Sherman game was winnable for us..... every single one of those teams was better than us. In some cases MUCH better than us. It's not like we lost because of poor coaching or bad management. We lost because they were all better than us.

I don't see the problem. We need to get better to compete with these teams.

Denison is the one that I know we shouldn't have lost.

If the new AD stays 3-4 yrs I will consider it a successful hire and no longer express the disappointment endured. I am the last surviving Karnackian. The rest of them moved to parts of Texas where you can make a living and have a conversation with someone that has an education.

• Like 1

I don't bash. I only call out poor decisions made by the district. They under perform only second to Longview.

How many below .500 seasons has Longview had lately?

Anyone who thinks that program under performs doesn't know anything about football because that's a pretty consistent program. What, they haven't won a title lately?

I guess Barry Sanders was a horrible player too because he never won a ring. Same with Allen Iverson, Dan Marino, list goes on. You should stick to something other than this subject because you clearly don't know anything about sports.

• Like 2

If the new AD stays 3-4 yrs I will consider it a successful hire and no longer express the disappointment endured. I am the last surviving Karnackian. The rest of them moved to parts of Texas where you can make a living and have a conversation with someone that has an education.

He's already expressed his commitment to stay here a while. He wants to coach his son. And he had other children coming up.

They are house shopping.

And I know the search committee asked him about longevity prior to recommending him.

And he's already commented publicly about how excited he is about the current 9th graders (they were 9-1 district champions).

As for talking to educated people.... both Mavgrad and myself are college graduates. I'm working on my Masters and you think I'm a fool.

I still want to know what he axe to grind is. Something has made you bitter and you're incapable of hiding it.

He's already expressed his commitment to stay here a while. He wants to coach his son. And he had other children coming up.

They are house shopping.

And I know the search committee asked him about longevity prior to recommending him.

And he's already commented publicly about how excited he is about the current 9th graders (they were 9-1 district champions).

As for talking to educated people.... both Mavgrad and myself are college graduates. I'm working on my Masters and you think I'm a fool.

I still want to know what he axe to grind is. Something has made you bitter and you're incapable of hiding it.

I think I caught on to what he is saying in his last post.

Karnack correct me if I am wrong but here goes...

You think Marshall has underperformed because of the short stints of their coaching staffs. You think that with rather short term tenures of everyone after Bill Harper has to do with Marshall's exits in the playoffs.

However, if I am right... it still doesn't make sense to bring up losses in the State Title games.

How many below .500 seasons has Longview had lately?

Anyone who thinks that program under performs doesn't know anything about football because that's a pretty consistent program. What, they haven't won a title lately?

I guess Barry Sanders was a horrible player too because he never won a ring. Same with Allen Iverson, Dan Marino, list goes on. You should stick to something other than this subject because you clearly don't know anything about sports.

Dude. You know we underperform. I am a Lobo through and through but, I am a realist as well. We don't necessarily have state title athletes as of the past 5 or so seasons but, John King is the High School equivalent of Tony Romo. Not talking about playoff wins and losses either. I am talking about his glaring ability to make bonehead decisions at the most inopportune times.

Dude. You know we underperform. I am a Lobo through and through but, I am a realist as well. We don't necessarily have state title athletes as of the past 5 or so seasons but, John King is the High School equivalent of Tony Romo. Not talking about playoff wins and losses either. I am talking about his glaring ability to make bonehead decisions at the most inopportune times.

Some of you Longview fans are so ungrateful man. Do you know what programs like Pine Tree would do to be in Longview's shoes? Probably anything and King is a great coach. You don't get the record he has being subpar.

Need to get rid of that "state championship or bust" mentality man. Very unhealthy. Longview will get theirs in due time but to say that program under performs is hilarious when you consider how consistent they are.

• Like 1

Some of you Longview fans are so ungrateful man. Do you know what programs like Pine Tree would do to be in Longview's shoes? Probably anything and King is a great coach. You don't get the record he has being subpar.

Need to get rid of that "state championship or bust" mentality man. Very unhealthy. Longview will get theirs in due time but to say that program under performs is hilarious when you consider how consistent they are.

What is your idea of consistent? What is your Alma mater, by the way? WE Longview fans are tired of fans like you comparing us to the likes of what Pine Tree would love to have. I can't tell you about any other program inside and out except for where I was born and raised and played and got my diploma from - Longview I.S.D.

You, like many others are on the outside looking in. Pine Tree is on the level they are because they CHOOSE to be on that level. We at Longview High are where we're at because we work our butts off. But, the only thing about John King and his current millennials is that they are absolutely CONTENT with having a damn DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP T-SHIRT. Hell, these days they don't even mind sharing that T-SHIRT. There is an attitude that starts with John King that permeates throughout his entire staff and athletes that doing more to go that extra mile is always OPTIONAL.

In reality, it is. But, their MINDSET is that of being STAGNANT. We don't have a State Title because we aren't putting in the work to earn one but, that attitude starts with ONE person - John King. You mark my word. Claude Mathis at Marshall will bring them a State Championship in 5 years or less! He brings an infectious attitude about working hard and winning and IF he stays that long, it WILL happen.

You, like many others are on the outside looking in. Pine Tree is on the level they are because they CHOOSE to be on that level. We at Longview High are where we're at because we work our butts off. But, the only thing about John King and his current millennials is that they are absolutely CONTENT with having a damn DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP T-SHIRT. Hell, these days they don't even mind sharing that T-SHIRT. There is an attitude that starts with John King that permeates throughout his entire staff and athletes that doing more to go that extra mile is always OPTIONAL.

Actually, I'm LISD alum myself. But choose to unassociate myself from the program because of uninformed and simply ignorant fans like you. Many things within your post above proves my point.

1. Singling out millenials and John King Era of Lobo Football for not winning a title is rediculous. Dude I don't know when you graduated, but unless you were on the 1937 team, why in the world would you be talking down on this generation of Lobo football? You won nothing yourself, yet talk down on this era of LV football. Makes no sense. Newsflash dude, THIS IS THE BEST ERA OF LONGVIEW FOOTBALL. That's factual and records prove it. Stop hating on these kids when they're accomplishing more than your era probably did.

2. I hate this one the most. Ignorant fans saying what the players aren't and are content with doing. I know for a FACT that the goal in the Lobo den every season is always state championship. Those kids want to win a ring, the staff does too. This staff has had two almost three state championship appearances. To say they are only content with winning district championships is completely false. Sometimes you just run into a better team or a team just as good. Hell most years Longview's losses came to eventual champions or finalist.

Lastly, are we really going to sit here and suggest that Claude Mathis is a better coach than John King. If that's the case then why is John King 2-0 against him even though Mathis had better teams both times? Answer me that. Did Mathis ever win a ring? State title appearance? But you give him so much praise yet hate on the greatest/most achievable coach in Longview history who btw is undefeated against Mathis. Makes no sense but to each their own I guess. Mathis is a huge hire for Marshall and I to think that Marshall will return to dominance especially since they'll be 5A D2. But turning this into a bash King show when Mathis hasn't accomplished anything that King has is as ignorant as it gets.

Love the Longview program, but cannot associate myself with it because of people like the above who complain about nothing.

• Like 2

Actually, I'm LISD alum myself. But choose to unassociate myself from the program because of uninformed and simply ignorant fans like you. Many things within your post above proves my point.

1. Singling out millenials and John King Era of Lobo Football for not winning a title is rediculous. Dude I don't know when you graduated, but unless you were on the 1937 team, why in the world would you be talking down on this generation of Lobo football? You won nothing yourself, yet talk down on this era of LV football. Makes no sense. Newsflash dude, THIS IS THE BEST ERA OF LONGVIEW FOOTBALL. That's factual and records prove it. Stop hating on these kids when they're accomplishing more than your era probably did.

2. I hate this one the most. Ignorant fans saying what the players aren't and are content with doing. I know for a FACT that the goal in the Lobo den every season is always state championship. Those kids want to win a ring, the staff does too. This staff has had two almost three state championship appearances. To say they are only content with winning district championships is completely false. Sometimes you just run into a better team or a team just as good. Hell most years Longview's losses came to eventual champions or finalist.

Lastly, are we really going to sit here and suggest that Claude Mathis is a better coach than John King. If that's the case then why is John King 2-0 against him even though Mathis had better teams both times? Answer me that. Did Mathis ever win a ring? State title appearance? But you give him so much praise yet hate on the greatest/most achievable coach in Longview history who btw is undefeated against Mathis. Makes no sense but to each their own I guess. Mathis is a huge hire for Marshall and I to think that Marshall will return to dominance especially since they'll be 5A D2. But turning this into a bash King show when Mathis hasn't accomplished anything that King has is as ignorant as it gets.

Love the Longview program, but cannot associate myself with it because of people like the above who complain about nothing.

Did I bash King? Let me see. I never once called the man out of his name. I said he is the high school equivalent of Tony Romo and that he makes bonehead decisions at the most inopportune times. That is a FACT! That is not fabricated or made up. And, if you think this is the BEST group of Lobos to come through then that is your opinion. I'll put my 97 team against ANY of them.

Did I bash King? Let me see. I never once called the man out of his name. I said he is the high school equivalent of Tony Romo and that he makes bonehead decisions at the most inopportune times. That is a FACT! That is not fabricated or made up. And, if you think this is the BEST group of Lobos to come through then that is your opinion.

It is not opinion. It is factual that the John King Era of Longview football is the best in Longview history. The man is 139-34 (72-5). Majority if not all of Lobo player records are owned by John King football players. Find another era in Longview history with that resume. Yeah, you wont. And the Bero era sure as heck isn't anywhere near the level of King's and I dare you to say otherwise so I can murder you with more facts.

You can brag about 97' all you want. At the end of the day Katy smashed that team and you won nothing, yet you're trying to give these "millenials" hell for not winning a title. lol

• Like 1