Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

Jeez......things at MHS are looking up.....a Mav football / Mathis thread is the venue for a John King (one of the best and most respected coaches in the state) / Lobo bashing.......IMO most schools & alumni bases would give their left arm (and other more important parts) to have the success of the Lobo program....granted, I thought the LHS would body slam 5A when they were there, but if you look at the big picture, several of the 5A D1 programs are on a par with any 6A program (with the possible exception of a couple mega programs), and hence any HS program in the nation.....maybe I'm looking at it from 'lil ole Marshall's viewpoint, but I don't see the shame there......

It is not opinion. It is factual that the John King Era of Longview football is the best in Longview history. The man is 139-34 (72-5). Majority if not all of Lobo player records are owned by John King football players. Find another era in Longview history with that resume. Yeah, you wont. And the Bero era sure as heck isn't anywhere near the level of King's and I dare you to say otherwise so I can murder you with more facts.

You can brag about 97' all you want. At the end of the day Katy smashed that team and you won nothing, yet you're trying to give these "millenials" hell for not winning a title. lol

Dude. I ain't bashing them. I am stating what MOST people inside and out will tell you about this program. With the talent King has he UNDERPERFORMS. Period. You can keep running your mouth about my 97 team but, go ask people like Mavchamp & Mavgrad99 (if they'll be completely honest) about the thoroughbred athletes Marshall had back in the 90's. John King would be sitting his butt at the house year in and year out. Not to mention the U.I.L. was not allowing everyone to go to the playoffs back then.

Ask them about the likes of LOADED DI talent like Paul Todd, Greg Lawson and Kendrick Starling. What about the 1994 John Tyler team LOADED with DI talent! What about the likes of Terrance Kiel, Sparky Hamilton, and the phenom duo twins in Courtney & Derrick Garcia. Dude you have NO idea. You just talking just to be talking. I LIVED AND PLAYED the game. It was a gauntlet EVERY week for EVERY team in the Old 12-5A. This is no fault of their own that they came up when they did but, I DO recognize a LOT of little things that we done as athletes that King makes OPTIONAL and that comes right out of the student athletes mouths.

People always want more. King could win the State title the next 2 years then lose in the playoffs the next 3 and people would be saying he should have won 2 more.

Whoever does the hiring and firing in Longview ISD is smart to keep King there. I almost want to say Marshall got lucky with the timing of this hire. How big would Longview go to top John King? I don't think they can and that is why they should keep him as long as he will have them.

The fact he takes the pressure from some of the dysfunctional fans of Longview and keeps trucking says volumes to me.

• Like 1

People always want more. King could win the State title the next 2 years then lose in the playoffs the next 3 and people would be saying he should have won 2 more.

Whoever does the hiring and firing in Longview ISD is smart to keep King there. I almost want to say Marshall got lucky with the timing of this hire. How big would Longview go to top John King? I don't think they can and that is why they should keep him as long as he will have them.

The fact he takes the pressure from some of the dysfunctional fans of Longview and keeps trucking says volumes to me.

I agree with you on just about 95% of what you said. In nearly 17 years of play calling I believe King has reached his ceiling as far as his ability to coach under pressure. He's had some great highlights but, I honestly believe that he's not the coach to bring Longview a State Title. Our program and community is in search of that and I don't believe another 17 years is going to change that with him.

There's a reason that Claude Mathis was sought out from the college ranks regardless of his losses to King. Of course, this is my opinion like everyone else's. Doesn't make me right or wrong. But, if I was a betting man, I'd bet that come 2034 we'll be having this same debate.

Dude. I ain't bashing them. I am stating what MOST people inside and out will tell you about this program. With the talent King has he UNDERPERFORMS. Period. You can keep running your mouth about my 97 team but, go ask people like Mavchamp & Mavgrad99 (if they'll be completely honest) about the thoroughbred athletes Marshall had back in the 90's. John King would be sitting his butt at the house year in and year out. Not to mention the U.I.L. was not allowing everyone to go to the playoffs back then.

Ask them about the likes of LOADED DI talent like Paul Todd, Greg Lawson and Kendrick Starling. What about the 1994 John Tyler team LOADED with DI talent! What about the likes of Terrance Kiel, Sparky Hamilton, and the phenom duo twins in Courtney & Derrick Garcia. Dude you have NO idea. You just talking just to be talking. I LIVED AND PLAYED the game. It was a gauntlet EVERY week for EVERY team in the Old 12-5A. This is no fault of their own that they came up when they did but, I DO recognize a LOT of little things that we done as athletes that King makes OPTIONAL and that comes right out of the student athletes mouths.

You're clearly bashing these "millennials" as you put it by saying that they only care about district championships when that has never been true. You look down on them as if you won a title when you won nothing yourself. C'mon dude. I'm guessing you're class of 98'? So in your 4 years of being at Longview, the program only went to the playoffs twice? Dude John King's teams are winning district damn near every single year! They have no clue what it's like to even come close to missing the playoffs which is something your era is pretty familiar with. That's why this is the best era of Longview football. You have no business trying to lecture these kids or this staff on how to win games dude. You can talk about the "good ol" days all you want but evidently, wasn't too much good going on when you were there outside of 97'.

Btw, on a talent level, I only recall King losing twice to teams who truly weren't on the level of Longview talent wise. That's South Garland in 05' and Westbrook 16'. So, not sure how he's underperforming based on talent when the rest of LV's losses were to just as talented teams. You need to get out and watch more football if you think Longview is the only talented program in the state.

• Like 1

What is your idea of consistent?

Consistency only has one definition. If you don't know the meaning, too bad. But let me map it out for you using facts:

2004 - 12-1 (6-0)

2005 - 10-1 (6-0)

2006 - 9-3 (5-0)

2007 - 12-2 (5-0)

2008 - 13-3 (6-0)

2009 - 14-2 (6-0)

2010 - 10-5 (4-1)

2011 - 11-2 (5-0)

2012 - 9-4 (4-2)

2013 - 11-2 (6-0)

2014 - 9-3 (7-0)

2015 - 11-3 (6-1)

2016 - 8-3 (6-1)

End of debate. Greatest era in Longview history.

• Like 1

Consistency only has one definition. If you don't know the meaning, too bad. But let me map it out for you using facts:

2004 - 12-1 (6-0)

2005 - 10-1 (6-0)

2006 - 9-3 (5-0)

2007 - 12-2 (5-0)

2008 - 13-3 (6-0)

2009 - 14-2 (6-0)

2010 - 10-5 (4-1)

2011 - 11-2 (5-0)

2012 - 9-4 (4-2)

2013 - 11-2 (6-0)

2014 - 9-3 (7-0)

2015 - 11-3 (6-1)

2016 - 8-3 (6-1)

End of debate. Greatest era in Longview history.

Keep your account open for the next decade and a half. You're missing the entire point and you want to throw out numbers when they only tell PART of the story. The accomplishments are great and all but, you'll defend King because you too are content with the status quo. That's why you have all the local East Texas schools (Especially the smaller ones) poking at us on a yearly basis about not getting the job done.

Even the coaches at Region VII and State Coaching Clinics give John King and his staff an earful on how they wish they'd had half the talent we have and could do more. But, I digress. It's pretty safe to say that at the end of the year I should ALWAYS see you in support of John King no matter what. I want you to ACT like you're going critique King at any point and I'm going to get dead on your butt like stank on you know what! I'm watching you the ENTIRE year homeboy.

you'll defend King because you too are content with the status quo.

Nah. I'll defend em because of the credentials above which are far better than Bero's era ever was. Dude I bet you didn't even know that John King won a state ring back when he was in HS. But keep thinking that the man doesn't know or care about anything but winning district titles.

And I have never cared nor paid attention to what small schools have to say about Longview. They don't have the SOS to give any type of lecture about winning, just like you or anyone else from Bero's era don't have the credentials to lecture these kids or "Millennials" on how to win either. Since you didn't do near as much winning as they have.

Keep your account open for the next decade and a half. You're missing the entire point and you want to throw out numbers when they only tell PART of the story. The accomplishments are great and all but, you'll defend King because you too are content with the status quo. That's why you have all the local East Texas schools (Especially the smaller ones) poking at us on a yearly basis about not getting the job done.

Even the coaches at Region VII and State Coaching Clinics give John King and his staff an earful on how they wish they'd had half the talent we have and could do more. But, I digress. It's pretty safe to say that at the end of the year I should ALWAYS see you in support of John King no matter what. I want you to ACT like you're going critique King at any point and I'm going to get dead on your butt like stank on you know what! I'm watching you the ENTIRE year homeboy.

I see this everywhere. "I could do so much more with that talent that they have at Carthage." "I could have won the State Championship with that talent at Henderson last year." "Pine Tree shouldn't be in the dumpster with some of the athletes in that school, if I were Head Coach there......."

These are just coaches being coaches. They are head coaches because of their confidence in themselves. John King could probably do more with the teams the coaches are saying that about him than they currently are.

Nah. I'll defend em because of the credentials above which are far better than Bero's era ever was. Dude I bet you didn't even know that John King won a state ring back when he was in HS. But keep thinking that the man doesn't know or care about anything but winning district titles.

And I have never cared nor paid attention to what small schools have to say about Longview. They don't have the SOS to give any type of lecture about winning, just like you or anyone else from Bero's era don't have the credentials to lecture these kids or "Millennials" on how to win either. Since you didn't do near as much winning as they have.

I know a hell of lot more than you THINK I know. And, yes I do know about his state ring he got when he was a Springhill Lumberjack wearing the Black & Gold. His Dad was a Head Coach and My uncle was also on the same team as John King when they won state together. I know a LOT more than that as I sit and watch you and others throughout this offseason make your comments. I just keep most of it to myself since it's irrelevant to his coaching.

I also know about all the surrounding towns that had to consolidate in that area and form what is now North Webster Parish.

I know a plethora of things just by LIVING that you can't research with Google or Wikipedia.

By the way, you're so quick to talk down on Robert Bero but, his staff beat Pat Collins and John King with ONE of the worst Lobo teams in history. I wonder if you can go research the year. I don't have to, of course. I witnessed it with my own eyes watching John King call the plays as the offensive coordinator.

If that's true then the name I heard for the OC isn't going to happen.

Woulda been a hell of a homerun announcement.

I'm thinking an OC from LT wouldn't hurt either. lol

Shaping up to be one of the better Marshall staffs that I can remember.

I'm thinking an OC from LT wouldn't hurt either. lol

Shaping up to be one of the better Marshall staffs that I can remember.

Oh I agree completely. I think Mathis is trying to put a staff together that wants a ring.

But if he had pulled the name I had heard off...... I think it would have created a lot of buzz. But I doubt the $ was going to be there to have him leave his college job to come to Marshall after the bump the AD/HFC job just got...... even for a chance to worth with Mathis.

I'm interested in seeing a 7 on 7 schedule for Marshall. Mathis is a big proponent of 7 on 7, which is a total shift from Harper. Harper was OK (not excited, but OK) with 7 on 7 league play in the summer. We've been doing that since Southern was here with Carthage, Evangel, and Waskom (EF and Jefferson participated occasionally)....but we haven't been doing SQTs since Harris I think (2009).

----

Was told Mathis was at the Marshall-Hallsville game Friday night....was talking to some boosters.

Said he is REALLY excited about the young players coming up in the program. Said these guys are doing everything he's asking them to do. Said they were hungry willing to learn.

Numbers are WAY up. There are as many freshmen right now as there are sophs and Juniors COMBINED.

Was also bragging about the incoming 9th grade team this fall from MJHS....

said they better hope they get us this year but we are coming.

Nice to see him paying attention what's going on at MJHS. That's long term thinking and planning.

I'm excited.... and he's the talk of the town right now.

Although......... I'm nervous about 2016. Not having spring ball, coupled with not having a QB named for varsity, plus not having your staff in place yet is a little unnerving.

But.....he's not coming to rebuild. We're in a much better place than when Harper got here in 2013....or when Southern got here in 2002.

And....well.... I'm not really sure how good 16-5A is going to be in 2017. Three new coaches... a fourth one in only his 2nd year at PT. Do we have to rehash how atrocious the district was last season?

But who knows.... could be a juggernaut.

As a side note....

While football is getting all the attention and excitement online..... the boys sports at MHS overall have been pretty solid for a while.

Carson is a yearly playoff/district title contender with Boys Basketball going over a decade

Dunnaway with baseball (he won his 100th game Friday night)... always a contender...always in the playoffs

the Powerlifting team is always a highlight for Marshall every year

soccer is in the post season more often than not.

and while the track team struggled this year....overall it's one of our highlight sports annually.

BUT.....

This year our girls sports went a combined 0-48 in 16-5A this year.

Yeah...you read that right. 0-48 between volleyball, basketball, soccer, and softball.

The girls soccer team scored 2 goals in 12 district games.

Before last season.... the Lady Mav softball team had been in the playoff every season from 1995-2015. Never missed. They missed last season for the first time in program history... and went winless this year for the first time in program history.

Mathis has inherited a mess in women's sports. Luckily...before he got here......MISD had already taken action to get an Assist AD to take over all girls sports. But Mathis already stated he had intentions of fixing the girls side of things at his job announcement.

I hope he does..... because....WOW. What a MESS.

0-48???? The ONLY girls sport in Marshall not to finish in last place was track and Tennis.

I don't even think they took a girls CC team to the district meet last fall. Can't ever recall that happening.

And I heard no news on the swim team..... I don't even know if it's even still together..... basically undoing 20+ years of hard work done by previous coaches.

I know football ultimately will be what people care about...... and hopefully the Assit- AD will work to correct things.... but the girls sports are in disarray.

They deserve better..... they've been ignored as of late.

LMAO. The guy has a job....he might not want that out there.

He's at an FCS school..... in Texas.

lol I can live with that the OC will probably be in control in name only since Mathis is so offense centric the DC is the most important hire imo we need big help with technique and discipline on that side of the ball I remember when Defense was what we hung our hat on around here we need to get back to that

We haven't been a great defensive program since Bill Harper IMHO.

We've had scattered years of good defense. But nothing consistent.

Harper was the last coach that consistently had success with Longview. Consistently made deep playoff runs. Consistent challenges for district titles.