Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

We should have been in the semifinals in 2009.....no doubt in my mind.

NEVER should have lost to Denison. We were up....what? 19-3 at one point.....

Defense collapsed and the offense got too conservative.

Ugh...I was just sick after that game. Another semi-final appearance in 2009 might made 2011, 12, and 13 a little easier to swallow.

And TBH.... we had a chance to pull off the upset of the year Vs. Sherman in the first round in 2010.

But.......ultimately....... W/L record had nothing to do with Harris' departure.

All of his playoff losses were just gut wrenching. McKinney, Denison, Kilgore, Sherman.... every single one of them were winnable.

Ugh...I was just sick after that game. Another semi-final appearance in 2009 might made 2011, 12, and 13 a little easier to swallow.

And TBH.... we had a chance to pull off the upset of the year Vs. Sherman in the first round in 2010.

But.......ultimately....... W/L record had nothing to do with Harris' departure.

All of his playoff losses were just gut wrenching. McKinney, Denison, Kilgore, Sherman.... every single one of them were winnable.

I would LOVE to see a potential DeSoto vs. Marshall football game in preseason next year. That would be standing room only.

I would LOVE to see a potential DeSoto vs. Marshall football game in preseason next year. That would be standing room only.

DeSoto is at an entirely different level than us right now..... and I don't just mean classification (6A).

They would slaughter us I fear.

Now...in a couple of seasons...... that could be an interesting match-up if Mathis-ball takes full reign.

He seems to be getting an overwhelming positive from the students, parents, and community thus far.

When Marshall is winning.... I can't imagine there being a city that loves and supports their team more passionately. It's special. If he achieves that.....he will be blown away.

Don't believe me? Ask Dennis Parker, Bill Harper, and Rodney Southern..... they all three had this town wound up in their stints.

The switch in offensive aggressiveness is what killed us against Denison. Going into that game, we knew they were going to score a few points on us at some point. Their RBs were too good not to. However, it is like we completely took our foot off of the gas to start the 2nd quarter and they flew by us like we were in a NASCAR race... And if I remember the Kilgore 1st round loss, that was the high scoring game right with a late TD by kilgore to win it?

Should have never gone for it on 4th down in the Denison game. Should have punted.

Im going to say he stays in Marshall however Desoto plays out. Couldn't see a guy leave a job one month in after his repeatedly said he's here for the long haul. But you never know I guess.

You are aware that he was at UofH for about a month. Coach Peterman and Coach Mathis are very close friends. I can't see Mathis going back to Desoto if they fire his friend after a state championship.

Why?

Peter man could walk away with a chunk of cash.... take the year off and see what comes open in 2018.

There are no top jobs open this late.

I think he stays though. The community has spoken.

If the school board was to proceed....it would be political suicide.

Between this year and next year.....DISD may have a new board.

• Like 1

Mathis got his OC.

Not who I originally was told it could be....from an FCS school.

Instead picked one off from Lake Travis.

Will see if it's ok to name drop.

Now it's all about naming the D.C.