Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

Looks like Texas High hired one of our great ex players AJ Wilson to be the head track coach and special teams/safeties coach maybe he'll make his way home soon

I loved AJ, we used to chat a lot when he came and watched practice

Coach Thomas was opposite Dez Bryant at Lufkin, also played baseball there & was drafted by LA Dodgers out of high school. He played both at SAU. Coach Griedl & Thomas were at SAU, he contacted Thomas about coming to Marshall to coach WRs and he took the job.

• Like 2

With this staff shall the district go ahead and cede the district championship to Marshall?

Asking for a friend.

I've been watching HSFB long enough to know we need guarded excitement in Marshall.

This is an outstanding staff. But it has to translate on the field.

And at the end of the day.... Texas High has been our Daddy since we dropped in 2002.

And do we even need to discuss our house of horrors against that other team just to the West of us?

The names are great.

Very exciting.

Maybe the best staff in school history

But all that means nada if we go 2-8, 3-7..... anything less than 6-4 would be disappointing TBH.

I would think even that would be disappointing TBH.

I agree. It would be. But adding up where 7 wins comes from gets tough.

We will be major underdogs Vs Texas High and Longview. And history says they are losses.

That leaves only 1 more loss and Tyler Lee still on the schedule. Hallsville will have new systems. Corsicana is usually tough.

Just not sure it's a given we go 7-3.

Hey, I won't rain on y'all's parade. I hope Marshall becomes a perennially state-ranked powerhouse... who loses to Longview each year. :P

That's not rain.

That's just a fact until it changes.

Bill Harper was 5-6 against Longview 1991-2001 and he's the most successful in my lifetime.

Southern was 0-5

Harris was 0-4

Richters was 0-2

Clint Harper was 1-3

Dennis Parker was 3-4 I think. Maybe 3-5

I've been watching HSFB long enough to know we need guarded excitement in Marshall.

This is an outstanding staff. But it has to translate on the field.

And at the end of the day.... Texas High has been our Daddy since we dropped in 2002.

And do we even need to discuss our house of horrors against that other team just to the West of us?

The names are great.

Very exciting.

Maybe the best staff in school history

But all that means nada if we go 2-8, 3-7..... anything less than 6-4 would be disappointing TBH.

Texas High should be good this year. No doubt about it but I think Marshall will be slightly better.

I see Marshall winning every regular season game this year, outside of that awful trip to Lobo Stadium of course. That could get ugly.

I agree. It would be. But adding up where 7 wins comes from gets tough.

We will be major underdogs Vs Texas High and Longview. And history says they are losses.

That leaves only 1 more loss and Tyler Lee still on the schedule. Hallsville will have new systems. Corsicana is usually tough.

Just not sure it's a given we go 7-3.

Schedule is top loaded for sure, but I think Marshall beats LEE, plays Longview close with a chance to win it in at the end, beats Corsicana at home and gives Texas High all they want.

To me 8-2 is a solid expectation and 9-1 is a possibility.

Schedule is top loaded for sure, but I think Marshall beats LEE, plays Longview close with a chance to win it in at the end, beats Corsicana at home and gives Texas High all they want.

To me 8-2 is a solid expectation and 9-1 is a possibility.

Playing Longview close or even having a shot next season will depend on QB play and how quickly the offense comes together.

Bill Harper was 5-6 against Longview 1991-2001 and he's the most successful in my lifetime.

Southern was 0-5

Harris was 0-4

Richters was 0-2

Clint Harper was 1-3

Dennis Parker was 3-4 I think. Maybe 3-5

For what it's worth, Mathis has never beaten us either :P

Really though, I'm hoping he can stay there and build y'all up. Y'all will be on our schedule until the end of time so y'all might as well actually be a good test! No more 56-7 games plz.

• Like 1