Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

Really though, I'm hoping he can stay there and build y'all up. Y'all will be on our schedule until the end of time so y'all might as well actually be a good test! No more 56-7 games plz.

That's what I'm saying. Marshall being weak doesn't help Longview at all. I want the Mavericks state-ranked. I want Longview-Marshall games to be important.

• Like 1

I'm on my cell in Mexico, so I can't copy and paste the article....

But was it just me or did Mathis throw some shade at Clint Harper in today's MNM article??? Lmao 😂

Truth hurts a little sometimes. And I was (still am) a fan of Harper the football coach.... not so much as Harper the AD. Girls sports are a total disaster right now.

Anyhow. Just wondering if someone else sensed it in the article or if I'm reading more than what's there.

Now excuse me.... the beaches of Puerto Vallarta are begging my attention 😜😜

There was definitely shade thrown. Imo Harper never took responsibility for the girl sports he was to concerned about just the football program. True they are the head football coach but first he is the Athletic director. Looks like Maths is trying to improve every sport at MS and is say it is HIS responsibility to do that and to make sure he has the right coaches to do that.

"When it comes to the overall athletic department, we have to do some things that are going to get us back headed in the right direction but again, the culture overall for the whole athletic department has to change," Mathis continued. "All the coaches are on board. They know my expectations and it starts with me. I'm holding everybody accountable but again, it starts with me. If they see me doing it, if they see me holding myself accountable, change is going to happen and it's going to be for the best because our No. 1 priority is these kids."

Can't really complain about the boys sports. Almost all of them were in the playoffs. Football, soccer, powerlifting, basketball, baseball. Track had a dip.... but they were very young.

Girls sports were horrendous. Volleyball, basketball, soccer, softball.... total of 0-48 in district play.

And we are talking about a softball program that missed the playoffs for the first time in program history last year after 22 consecutive seasons of making the playoffs. Now 0-12?

The girls soccer team scored 1 goal in 12 district games. 1!!!

Girls Basketball was a biweekly blowout.

Mathis has his work cut out for him. Ladies are in shambles.

Boys sports are doing well... but need to take the next step by becoming regional competitors. Not just district competitors.

"When it comes to the overall athletic department, we have to do some things that are going to get us back headed in the right direction but again, the culture overall for the whole athletic department has to change," Mathis continued. "All the coaches are on board. They know my expectations and it starts with me. I'm holding everybody accountable but again, it starts with me. If they see me doing it, if they see me holding myself accountable, change is going to happen and it's going to be for the best because our No. 1 priority is these kids."

Can't really complain about the boys sports. Almost all of them were in the playoffs. Football, soccer, powerlifting, basketball, baseball. Track had a dip.... but they were very young.

Girls sports were horrendous. Volleyball, basketball, soccer, softball.... total of 0-48 in district play.

And we are talking about a softball program that missed the playoffs for the first time in program history last year after 22 consecutive seasons of making the playoffs. Now 0-12?

The girls soccer team scored 1 goal in 12 district games. 1!!!

Girls Basketball was a biweekly blowout.

Mathis has his work cut out for him. Ladies are in shambles.

Boys sports are doing well... but need to take the next step by becoming regional competitors. Not just district competitors.

I still think all of this starts at city league sports. Last time I was at Airport park, there was a team practicing at every field EXCEPT the softball fields. I haven't seen or heard of a girls basketball or sports camp for youth girls in FOREVER in Marshall. Marshall softball surely has a lot to do with the quality of pitching they have had which has literally been average at best over the last 7 years or so.

I'll credit Clint Harper. He resurrected the football program from probably the lowest it's been 75 years.

And to his credit he left the football program in fantastic shape. Even if more development at the JH level was needed.

He inherited a strong boys basketball, powerlifting, track, and baseball. All that to say the boys sports have been consistent winners for a while now.

But a real disservice has been done to the ladies. It dates back a while.... but the last 3-4 years have been when it has all destructed.

Outside of girls track and softball.... none of the others have been consistent winners. Girls BB has always been less than mediocre, occasionally making the playoffs... but it's been brutal of late. Same with volleyball.

Soccer has not been successful since its induction.

The girls cross country and swim teams disbanded under Harper's watch.

Here's to righting the ship. The girls deserve it.

Yup. No girls CC.

Was a time when the girls CC team had won something like 12 district titles in a row.

More disppointed in the swim team. They had been growing the program for a looooong time. Had really made some huge progress. Had started competing at the regional level. But from what I hear there was no team at all 2016-17. Very disappointing.

Also no girls golf.

Like I said.... Harper did a great service to football. But he dropped the ball for the ladies. Shame on him.

With Mathis AND an assistant AD for girls sports.... things will be righted.

Sounds like a change needed to be made at the AD position anyway. I know football is King, but the girls going 0-48? That is shocking. No CC or golf for the girls. Swimming ok, it's ETX. But still, that's 3 girls programs that didn't have athletes compete. I mean Marshall is a big town by ETX standards. I had no idea it was that bad. I would think Marshall would have some awesome female athletes.

I think this is a blessing. No way Marshall would have got rid of Harper due to the success in football. I don't know if Mathis can coach a lick, but he sure does say all the right things. If he makes good on 60% of what he says, Marshall will have an outstanding all around athletic program. I am excited to see the progress over the next couple of years. Exciting times for the Mavs.

I would call this a rumor, but I heard it from someone who directly dealt with a lot of this...

Part of the deconstruction of some of the girl's teams was simply to increase the boy's sports budget... The swim team probably saved the budget a couple of thousand alone in travel and food for away meets. It barely brought in revenue...

However, without those teams, there are a lot of talented girls in Marshall that excel in swimming and golf that are missing out. Didn't Marshall have a state finalist not too long ago in girl's golf?

I would call this a rumor, but I heard it from someone who directly dealt with a lot of this...

Part of the deconstruction of some of the girl's teams was simply to increase the boy's sports budget... The swim team probably saved the budget a couple of thousand alone in travel and food for away meets. It barely brought in revenue...

However, without those teams, there are a lot of talented girls in Marshall that excel in swimming and golf that are missing out. Didn't Marshall have a state finalist not too long ago in girl's golf?

Your not the only one that has heard this but like you figured it was a rumor. But they say he gutted the budget in all girl sports and put it all towards football i.e. new helmets, new pants. Never knew if it was true but from thelook of it it makes you go hhhmmmmmm.

The thing is....... he didn't have to take anything from the other programs to pay for football stuff.

The booster club has never left the football program in need when something was needed not covered by the athletic budget I.e. the flags he cheerleader boosters use, the inflatable run through... and a MASSIVE donation from a single booster made the replay board happen.

Absolutely no reason to be taking from the other programs.

I'm sure football, baseball, and basketball all make money.

But I fInd it unconscionable money was taken away from girls sports that were already getting peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

The thing is....... he didn't have to take anything from the other programs to pay for football stuff.

The booster club has never left the football program in need when something was needed not covered by the athletic budget I.e. the flags he cheerleader boosters use, the inflatable run through... and a MASSIVE donation from a single booster made the replay board happen.

Absolutely no reason to be taking from the other programs.

I'm sure football, baseball, and basketball all make money.

But I fInd it unconscionable money was taken away from girls sports that were already getting peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

I agree. I have no idea what kind of pressure the budget was under at MISD... but i do know that when i was there, my portion of the budget was very healthy. I heard some grumblings of the girl's coaches at the time about how small their budget was and that they had to go to Thed Harris to get certain things bought that were out of their budget... Take that for what it is worth....

I will say this about a few of those sports too... Golf and swimming are 2 sports that will attract kids to a physical activity that would not fit in well with too many other sports. While they aren't wildly popular or publicly supported sports in Marshall, TX, I think that they were an asset to the school district simply because it just got more kids involved in something in a mostly boring town.

Just was informed that Marshall will participate in a 7 on 7 league over the summer with Carthage and Henderson. Games will rotate between the 3 team's home stadiums.

Mavs will participate in the Tyler SQT. Was hoping for another....but I guess that will be it.

Been told that the entire staff is now in place and things are ready to hum.

Team had an outstanding spring in spite of no spring drills. Mathis seems very pleased with where the kids are and how receptive they are to the new work ethic and expectations. They are responding to everything he's asked of them. Same with the staff that will remain from Harper's crew.

Lots of excitement. Now to see if we can have it all translate on the field.

From what I can piece together:

HC/AD: Claude Mathis (SMU/DeSoto)

Offensive Coordinator: Jake Griedl (Lake Travis where he was WR and Strength and conditioning coach; won 2 titles on staff there)

Defensive Coordinator: Jarry Poth (Somerset HS- 19 years experience including college at D3 Sul Ross and Oklahoma D2 Oklahoma Panhandle State)

Special Teams Coordinator: Brent Pradia (13 years experience. Comes from Del Rio HS, who went 10-2 last season. Before that he was at Mesquite HS)

Wide Receivers Coach: Rafael Thomas. He was a Lufkin standout. Attended college at D2 Southern Arkansas. He was on staff at his hometown Lufkin last year.

Offensive Line Coach: Zac Quinlan. He comes from Nacogdoches where he was the offensive Coordinator.

Lawrence Ciznernos: He's from Clint Harper's staff and will remain. He was WR coach with Harper, not sure of his title under Mathis.

Jason Bird: Also a Harper staffer remaining. He was RB and WR coach with Harper. He actually has experence with OC Greidl as he came from Lake Travis with his dad back in 2014.

I've heard Coach Lottingger has been around....but never have heard if he was officially hired back to Marshall. He's been in Longview I believe the last couple of seasons.

------------------

Staff that has left:

LB Scott Hale landed at Coushatta Parish HS

DC Brandon Joslin landed at Tatum

OC Mike Ludlow I think ended up going to Texas High

------------------

I'm sure there are other position coaches I haven't heard about....but this is the crux of what I know.

Things I've overheard. Take it with a grain of salt. Some may be gospel truth...some may be small town rumor

1. Mavs will participate in the Tyler SQT next week. First time they have done an SQT since 2010 I think. They've only done league play on Tuesday nights since 2011. So this is a nice development.

2. Several players are participating in summer camps in Dallas and Austin this summer.

3. Mathis has formed a 7 on 7 league with Henderson and Carthage. No word on what nights it will be.

4. Mavs are expecting to have the numbers to split the JV team and the 9th grade team into A &B teams when opposing schools have B teams as well. We've had B Frosh teams in the past. Never JV in my memory. But numbers have exploded.

5. Coordinators will not be teaching classes. Nor will baseball coach Dunaway or basketball coach Carson. They will have other sports to lead though.

That's the update for now.

Until next time!!