Tyler May Open A Third High School

cujoforlife

Isn't the Lee campus significantly bigger than JTs?

I've been all over the Lee campus from my HS days of UIL. What I've seen of JTs campus (not much granted) it's quite a bit smaller.

Historically I'd be against it.

But it has to cross the minds of people to simply consolidate and have a brand new SINGLE campus. Consolidatjng the administrative and support positions would save millions. And one big campus would probably be cheaper to build than to renovate two separate.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Isn't the Lee campus significantly bigger than JTs?

I've been all over the Lee campus from my HS days of UIL. What I've seen of JTs campus (not much granted) it's quite a bit smaller.

Historically I'd be against it.

But it has to cross the minds of people to simply consolidate and have a brand new SINGLE campus. Consolidatjng the administrative and support positions would save millions. And one big campus would probably be cheaper to build than to renovate two separate.

Just a thought.

Historically most money has always went to Lee when it comes to bonds.

I think it'd be fascinating to consolidated Tyler into one large high school.....doubt it ever happens but the thought intrigues me....same thing has been discussed in Wichita Falls but much like Tyler doubt it ever comes to pass

yea that would never happen in tyler

there's no way people from the southside would ever be caught dead in the same school as the north side folk

although i think it would be very beneficial to both sides of town

I think it'd be fascinating to consolidated Tyler into one large high school.....doubt it ever happens but the thought intrigues me....same thing has been discussed in Wichita Falls but much like Tyler doubt it ever comes to pass

If Tyler continues to grow like it has been that Third school will come soon. They are remodeling both schools so they will fit 2270 students Lee is already at 2500 and JT a 2200 Lee is going to be there in no time so what are you going to do influx of students they are going to have to open another school.

Putting both schools together you lose traditions at both schools mainly the traditional JT.

• Like 2

They can always add an additional wing on to the school's to bring capacity higher...I know that's what they are currently doing in McKinney instead of building a 4th HS...they are going to build the campuses to hold I believe 3300

Tyler may be growing some but also is that growth in TISD or is it in on the outskirts like Lindale, Whitehouse, Chapel Hill etc.

They can always add an additional wing on to the school's to bring capacity higher...I know that's what they are currently doing in McKinney instead of building a 4th HS...they are going to build the campuses to hold I believe 3300

Tyler may be growing some but also is that growth in TISD or is it in on the outskirts like Lindale, Whitehouse, Chapel Hill etc.

and in town the private schools continue to grow as well as the charter school, cumberland academy

Both schools will be built to a capacity of 2750. Tyler is growing at a fast rate but Tisd is not benefiting from the growth. Not including the suburbs of Tyler but the private schools located in Tyler and the charter schools are seeing growth as well. Tyler Classical Academy is building a brand new state of the art elementary, middle, and high school on East Grande. UT Tyler Innovation is another school on the rise in Tyler. I wouldn't be surprised if they started an middle and high school in the future. We also have Cumberland Academy that just finished building a high school and they will add 11th grade the next school year and 12th grade the year after that. Cumberland also said it would like to put an elementary in North Tyler in the future.

Tisd doesn't need a third high school. They just need to in my opinion build brand new schools for Lee and JT and not renovate them. Either way it goes Tisd will not need a third high school.

The Lee Campus is much older than the JT. If read all of the reporting about the proposed bond you will see that Lee needs almost a total rebuild due to the condition and age of the buildings.

JT was over 90% rebuilt after the fire making it much newer and easier to renovate. This is not a case of Lee getting more money because it is Lee. There is more need.

Everything does not have to be an us vs. them thing. TISD is trying to bring both schools up to par for the future. I for one think it is a great idea. The new elementary and middle schools are great. The high schools are next in line to be addressed. I hope it passes.

The Lee Campus is much older than the JT. If read all of the reporting about the proposed bond you will see that Lee needs almost a total rebuild due to the condition and age of the buildings.

JT was over 90% rebuilt after the fire making it much newer and easier to renovate. This is not a case of Lee getting more money because it is Lee. There is more need.

Everything does not have to be an us vs. them thing. TISD is trying to bring both schools up to par for the future. I for one think it is a great idea. The new elementary and middle schools are great. The high schools are next in line to be addressed. I hope it passes.

Great point. It doesn't matter if it's JT or Lee. They are both owned by Tisd which is owned by the tax payers of Tyler. If and when the bond does pass. We still have to pass a bond to build a new Dogan, Hubbard, and renovate Hogg.

the unfortunate fact of the matter is that in tyler, tx, it will always be an us vs them thing.

Great point. It doesn't matter if it's JT or Lee. They are both owned by Tisd which is owned by the tax payers of Tyler. If and when the bond does pass. We still have to pass a bond to build a new Dogan, Hubbard, and renovate Hogg.

It is a TISD thing. I think it is great that the School Board and Administration are trying to upgrade all the substandard facilities. Hubbard is a much better campus minus all the portables it used to house.

Personally, after they get the High School bond settled and passed, I think it would be great to just build one or two new middle schools. Consolidation would be nice. Not sure if TISD could make it work with only 4, but that would have two feeding into each high school. Would allow a continuity of athletic programs as well. Right now it is hard for the smaller middle schools to compete with the larger ones. This past season Three Lakes football teams were enormous in numbers compared to Hogg.

I say just build one big high school like allen and get rid of this us vs them thing and just bring everyone together.

And give up the JT and Lee tradition. I don't think so. Don't fix what is not broken. We need 2 high schools. If we had just 1 school Tisd would lose students at a faster rate.