Tyler May Open A Third High School

cujoforlife

I think both Tyler and Longview will have another high school added in the next 15-20 years because of the population. I would imagine that a new location for the Tyler school will be on the northwest side of Tyler. I can see Longview building one on the south side of town. I never understood why Longview put it's high school on the North side of town almost out of it's district closer to Judson.

I think its sooner than later. Both of these schools are packed and in need of repair. Just the fact its being talked about tells the story. TISD will have to do something with all the growth in South Tyler soon.

The Southside is not benefiting Tisd. If that was the case Lee would have over 4000 students. It's already to many schools in south Tyler.

They can always add an additional wing on to the school's to bring capacity higher...I know that's what they are currently doing in McKinney instead of building a 4th HS...they are going to build the campuses to hold I believe 3300

Tyler may be growing some but also is that growth in TISD or is it in on the outskirts like Lindale, Whitehouse, Chapel Hill etc.

Nothing is growing out there. All three of those School ladies take kids from Tyler. That is the only reason they are as big as they are now.

Isn't the Lee campus significantly bigger than JTs?

I've been all over the Lee campus from my HS days of UIL. What I've seen of JTs campus (not much granted) it's quite a bit smaller.

Historically I'd be against it.

But it has to cross the minds of people to simply consolidate and have a brand new SINGLE campus. Consolidatjng the administrative and support positions would save millions. And one big campus would probably be cheaper to build than to renovate two separate.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't say Lee is bigger than JT. If you are looking from the outside, you would think so, BUT when you look at JT from the outside, you are looking at the top level the school. JT is actually a two story school, you just can't see the bottom from the front of the school.

I think it'd be fascinating to consolidated Tyler into one large high school.....doubt it ever happens but the thought intrigues me....same thing has been discussed in Wichita Falls but much like Tyler doubt it ever comes to pass

won't happen any time soon. But at the rate the private and charter schools are taking from TISD, it may come to that in 20 yrs or so.

They can always add an additional wing on to the school's to bring capacity higher...I know that's what they are currently doing in McKinney instead of building a 4th HS...they are going to build the campuses to hold I believe 3300

Tyler may be growing some but also is that growth in TISD or is it in on the outskirts like Lindale, Whitehouse, Chapel Hill etc.

Tyler and its outskirts are growing. The problem is that parents are sending their kids to new charter schools and private schools, so as a result, TISD hasn't grown at the rate you would think, given the rate of growth of the city. The hope is with all the bonds that have basically rebuilt most of the schools in Tyler, parents will chose to keep their kids in TISD. Also, TISD has built a couple of schools in the areas with the most growth in hopes of parents choosing to keep kids in TISD.

It is a TISD thing. I think it is great that the School Board and Administration are trying to upgrade all the substandard facilities. Hubbard is a much better campus minus all the portables it used to house.

Personally, after they get the High School bond settled and passed, I think it would be great to just build one or two new middle schools. Consolidation would be nice. Not sure if TISD could make it work with only 4, but that would have two feeding into each high school. Would allow a continuity of athletic programs as well. Right now it is hard for the smaller middle schools to compete with the larger ones. This past season Three Lakes football teams were enormous in numbers compared to Hogg.

It could happen, but It probably won't. the old supt wanted to go to 4 middle schools. Boulter, Moore, and Three Lakes were build to hold larger capacities than what they have. They will probably just remodel those schools (hogg, dogan, hubbard).

It could happen, but It probably won't. the old supt wanted to go to 4 middle schools. Boulter, Moore, and Three Lakes were build to hold larger capacities than what they have. They will probably just remodel those schools (hogg, dogan, hubbard).

They already said they are going to rebuild Dogan and use 8-10 million to renovate Hogg. Hogg is an historical building so it will never get rebuilt like the other middle schools. Caldwell is the same way. I'm quite sure you already knew that.

They already said they are going to rebuild Dogan and use 8-10 million to renovate Hogg. Hogg is an historical building so it will never get rebuilt like the other middle schools. Caldwell is the same way. I'm quite sure you already knew that.

i forgot about that, But didn't they do some renovations to Caldwell when it open again, because they moved the kids from Gary to Caldwell yrs ago. So what about Hubbard?

i forgot about that, But didn't they do some renovations to Caldwell when it open again, because they moved the kids from Gary to Caldwell yrs ago. So what about Hubbard?

They did. I was just saying they wouldn't redo the whole school. They should redo Hubbard also.

And give up the JT and Lee tradition. I don't think so. Don't fix what is not broken. We need 2 high schools. If we had just 1 school Tisd would lose students at a faster rate.

lol tisd isnt just broken at the secondary level, its been annihilated, destroyed and shattered.

tisd has virtually nothing going for it outside of the renovation of the high schools

I hope they get a third high school. Tyler needs one . It doesn't have to be necessary 6a. JT and Lee need major overall. Neither one looks all that great and long overdo. I been in Lee a couple of times but am going by what I seen.

why does Tyler need a third high school?

Yes they do

Tyler is a fast growing city. Of course another highschool would be beneficial.

Do you know how many high schools are in Tyler. Not Tisd but Tyler. If you do know (in which I know you don't know) well you know Tisd does not need another high school. You are right Tyler is growing but Tisd is not benefiting from the growth. Quit bumping your gums all the time. You don't know nothing.
  • Like 1

Lol it a sports forum kinda the point. Those private schools do not count nor does surrounding communities. Aka Whitehouse/chapel Hill. A third high school would do some good. It doesn't have to be 6A just better than they currently got.

What's wrong with what they currently have? Nothing, just two average size high schools. Tisd has always had two schools in the highest classification except for when JT went down in classification 2010- 2015.

Lol it a sports forum kinda the point. Those private schools do not count nor does surrounding communities. Aka Whitehouse/chapel Hill. A third high school would do some good. It doesn't have to be 6A just better than they currently got.

And what do you mean the private schools and surrounding area schools don't count. They draw students from Tyler don't they. Well they count. That's the reason TISD don't need a third high school. Tisd is not growing at the same rate as the city of Tyler.

• Like 1

One more likely to happen. Combined ain't happening.

Agree to disagree

adding another would do nothing except make the two existing hs worse off than they already are

if parents cant get their kids into the new hs, they will just send their kids to private schools

there is so much work that needs to be done at the secondary level and jt is suffering academically because of it

adding another would do nothing except make the two existing hs worse off than they already are

if parents cant get their kids into the new hs, they will just send their kids to private schools

there is so much work that needs to be done at the secondary level and jt is suffering academically because of it

Jt has improved a lot in the last 6 years! Are you basing it off this BS NEW grading system by the state? You make it like Jt is in inner city Dallas or Houston! Jt is a GREAT SCHOOL!

Yes they do

Tyler is a fast growing city. Of course another highschool would be beneficial.

Yes Tyler is growing, but TISD ain't growing at anywhere close to that rate. The private schools and charter schools are getting the growth. TISD needs to fix the two schools they have before they consider opening a new school in my opinion. I think if TISD would have open a third high school 10-15 yrs ago in Gresham area, they probably would have got the growth that Tyler was getting, but they were late to the game. Part of it has to do with desegregation orders and ect., but I think if they would have done so, it would have slowed the privates (and now charters) from taking over.

Public school and teachers are getting such a bad rep these days, that many parents are turning to alternative learning environments like privates and charters.

• Like 3

Even before I saw that they'd decided just to repair Lee and JT...I had a feeling it'd go that way. I lived in Tyler for a while and then being in athletics and education, the Tyler area is strange compared to most around. Private schools have a real strangle hold and I knew that by saying "we're opening new 5A school and pumping cash into it"...that would potentially hurt Brook Hill, All Saints, the Catholic school on the loop, and some of the new ones in some small way. It would lead to some competition for the fringe kid that those schools need to survive (tuition - plus whatever little bit they get from state per kid).