Tyler May Open A Third High School

cujoforlife

Having all these private schools and having whitehouse isd line so far up into tyler kills TISD....its crazy that one side of the street is LEE and the other is Whitehouse

They need to redraw the lines so Whitehouse doesn't take kids from Tyler anymore. I'm quite sure they can since Tisd is not under a desegregation order any more.

They need to redraw the lines so Whitehouse doesn't take kids from Tyler anymore. I'm quite sure they can since Tisd is not under a desegregation order any more.

It's my understanding that they are going to redraw the lines. Hogg, Boulter, Dogan. Should all go to JT and the other three go to Lee.

Jt has improved a lot in the last 6 years! Are you basing it off this BS NEW grading system by the state? You make it like Jt is in inner city Dallas or Houston! Jt is a GREAT SCHOOL!

who in the world told you this?

there's a reason there is such a high rate of turnover at jt every year

and youre right, it's not an inner city school and has far more potential but tisd is squandering that potential at every turn

who in the world told you this?

there's a reason there is such a high rate of turnover at jt every year

and youre right, it's not an inner city school and has far more potential but tisd is squandering that potential at every turn

Believe what you want to but I know the truth! Schools like Jt are not like the Austin Westlakes, Katys, and Lake Travis of the world, but they're what most high schools in America look like today! Now do I think Jt can be better but so can many schools out there. You probably think Lee is so great! NEWSFLASH Lee has WAY MORE ISSUES than Jt! They replaced their entire administration and athletic department on Lee's campus last year! I know because I work for TISD. Sorry but your bashing of Jt is misguided BS!

IMO Tyler already has the makings of a third high school. They could use the model of Townview in DISD. Utilize the CTE building for students who only want CTE certifications and are not interested in UIL events or athletics. They go to the CTE center as their home school. Yes they would have to hire more teachers to teach non CTE courses.

Believe what you want to but I know the truth! Schools like Jt are not like the Austin Westlakes, Katys, and Lake Travis of the world, but they're what most high schools in America look like today! Now do I think Jt can be better but so can many schools out there. You probably think Lee is so great! NEWSFLASH Lee has WAY MORE ISSUES than Jt! They replaced their entire administration and athletic department on Lee's campus last year! I know because I work for TISD. Sorry but your bashing of Jt is misguided BS!

you may work in tisd but do you work at jt? are you even a teacher?

btw, you did not dispute anything i said

also, lee has a ton of problems as well, most of which are not as well known because tisd really doesnt want you to know about them

I may be wrong, but I don't think they can do anything about that now. Tyler has grown that way, to be so close to the Whitehouse ISD line. Back when those lines were drawn, both towns were much smaller.

The only way that could happen would be for Whitehouse to agree to give up part of their district. I don't see that happening. They can't just say "we want that in our boundary". Just because it's a Tyler address doesn't make it TISD's right.

Same thing happens in Longview with surrounding districts (Spring Hill, Hallsville, etc) and all over the metroplex.

IMO Tyler already has the makings of a third high school. They could use the model of Townview in DISD. Utilize the CTE building for students who only want CTE certifications and are not interested in UIL events or athletics. They go to the CTE center as their home school. Yes they would have to hire more teachers to teach non CTE courses.

Good idea.

I may be wrong, but I don't think they can do anything about that now. Tyler has grown that way, to be so close to the Whitehouse ISD line. Back when those lines were drawn, both towns were much smaller.

The only way that could happen would be for Whitehouse to agree to give up part of their district. I don't see that happening. They can't just say "we want that in our boundary". Just because it's a Tyler address doesn't make it TISD's right.

Same thing happens in Longview with surrounding districts (Spring Hill, Hallsville, etc) and all over the metroplex.

correct. They ain't redrawing lines between TISD and Whitehouse. Whitehouse would never agree to give up students, because when you give up students, you give up Federal dollars and tax revenue.

• Like 1

Tyler should have never let another town come into their city and take kids from there isd. I understand what you are saying and Whitehouse would never give up their district lines in Tyler city limits.

I've never seen anything like this TISD and whitehouse thing I was so confused when moving here

I was in Tyler four days ago coming up 110 and saw Whitehouse buses coming up all the way to Shiloh and all I could do was shake my head and think about Longview/Hallsville. It's a pretty similar situation in Longview going on with LISD and HISD. Maybe worse because Hallsville is literally getting all of East Longview. All of it. Go down the loop to Alpine (5 minutes away from LHS) and those kids in that area are getting bused 15 mins to Hallsville. If that isn't happening there may be around 3,000 enrolled at Longview. A one/two light town like Hallsville having 1400+ enrolled is odd enough.

• Like 1

I was in Tyler four days ago coming up 110 and saw Whitehouse buses coming up all the way to Shiloh and all I could do was shake my head and think about Longview/Hallsville. It's a pretty similar situation in Longview going on with LISD and HISD. Maybe worse because Hallsville is literally getting all of East Longview. All of it. Go down the loop to Alpine (5 minutes away from LHS) and those kids in that area are getting bused 15 mins to Hallsville. If that isn't happening there may be around 3,000 enrolled at Longview. A one/two light town like Hallsville having 1400+ enrolled is odd enough.

some of these schools districts lines where drawn many many decades ago. The area around Shiloh road and to the south used to be very rural. I know the area along Paluxy south of Shiloh was called the Copeland community. At the time the ISD was created, Tyler probably didn't extend that far. The rural districts like Whitehouse probably took every land available at the time to increase the number of kids at the school.

Also, I believe East Longview goes into Harrison county. Usually ISD's don't cross county lines unless there is some sort of agreement worked out. Harrison probably didn't want to to give those tax dollars to Longview ISD.

Lee has schools pulling on it from all sides.

True but Lee is still a school pushing 2600 strong. Largest school (by enrollment) in East Texas. There has to be some type of talent roaming those halls. I know the privates are taking away from Lee but at the same time I'm not seeing any Dada Brown's or Matt Flynn's at those schools.

True but Lee is still a school pushing 2600 strong. Largest school (by enrollment) in East Texas. There has to be some type of talent roaming those halls. I know the privates are taking away from Lee but at the same time I'm not seeing any Dada Brown's or Matt Flynn's at those schools.

Who is Chance Amie? The Wickware kid had a great year. They have some talent. They just don't have enough confidence in their program right now.

I think both Tyler and Longview will have another high school added in the next 15-20 years because of the population. I would imagine that a new location for the Tyler school will be on the northwest side of Tyler. I can see Longview building one on the south side of town. I never understood why Longview put it's high school on the North side of town almost out of it's district closer to Judson.

You don't understand??? Hmmph.......

It happens all over the state....huge swaths of kids who live in Fort Worth city limits attend Eagle-Mountain Saginaw, White Settlement, Keller, Northwest, Birdville, H-E-B, Everman, Burleson and Crowley schools.....could name another 10 ISD's in Dallas, Houston, Austin etc...

I live in a Fort Worth address but my kids attend Keller iSD schools

I never understood why Longview put it's high school on the North side of town almost out of it's district closer to Judson.

The HS has a perfect location. Restaurants in vicinity, great environment and it's located along a main Longview road that allows out of towners to travel in and out of Longview conveniently. Where else should it be?

Also, I believe East Longview goes into Harrison county. Usually ISD's don't cross county lines unless there is some sort of agreement worked out. Harrison probably didn't want to to give those tax dollars to Longview ISD.

I believe this is just one of the many reasons as to why LISD decided to go the open enrollment route. So kids (specifically East Longview kids) would not have to go so far for an education.

It has helped too. TEA hasn't posted numbers yet from October 2016 but I'm told that Longview was up to just under 2400 enrollment when they took the numbers.

I believe this is just one of the many reasons as to why LISD decided to go the open enrollment route. So kids (specifically East Longview kids) would not have to go so far for an education.

It has helped too. TEA hasn't posted numbers yet from October 2016 but I'm told that Longview was up to just under 2400 enrollment when they took the numbers.

I thought open enrollment only applies to those students in your school district. If that is the case, LV high is the only high school in the district so that really doesn't matter. I think the open enrollment is to prevent kids at the lower levels (middle, elementary) from going to charter and private schools. In other words, a parent may live in a part of LISD but doesn't like the school the kid is zoned to, so they send them to a private or charter instead. With open enrollment, they can just bus them to another LISD school of their liking.