2 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

...BWAAAA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAA!!! 😂🤣😂🤣

Marino was a pure timing passer with a great arm.  He was like a robot ... one, two, three....bang the ball was gone ... Rarely did you see him go through his progressions looking for a second or third receiver  ... rarely  did he improvise and make great plays like Montana ... Pressure Marino and he was very ordinary  ... Marino had maybe the best passing arm the NFL has ever seen ... he was super accurate ... but he was no Joe Montana ... he a great passer but really wasn't a great QB unless you look at nothing but passing statistics  ... I would take Montana over Marino all day, every day ... tru storie  ...

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1

It's a team sport. I'll bust CarthDawg's knee and put him under center on a team with Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Brent Jones, Ricky Watters, not to mention receivers like John Taylor and the greatest player in NFL history, coached by Bill Walsh, George Siefert, Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, etc, and he'd go to the Pro Bowl. 

Marino never had a team or coaching staff like that. He certainly never had a running game to take a defense's focus off him. Every opposing defensive coordinator he ever faced told his players to shut down the passing game. I'd bet that no defensive coordinator ever went into a Dolphins game and said, "Watch the running game." If the Dolphins had beaten them with their running game, the opposing coaches would've gone into the post-game and flat out said, "Hey, we'll take that loss. Who'da thunk it?" And Marino still accomplished what he accomplished. 

I'm not saying Montana sucked,  by any stretch of the imagination. Montana was almost drafted by the Bucs. The mid-'80s Buccaneers?! You really think if Montana had quarterbacked that team, we'd be talking about him in Marino's class? No way. 

If Marino had been 49ers QB, the government would've broken them up for violating monopoly law.  Even Walsh has said he wishes he'd had Marino. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Stinks 1

13 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

It's a team sport. I'll bust CarthDawg's knee and put him under center on a team with Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Brent Jones, Ricky Watters, not to mention receivers like John Taylor and the greatest player in NFL history, coached by Bill Walsh, George Siefert, Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, etc, and he'd go to the Pro Bowl. 

Marino never had a team or coaching staff like that. He certainly never had a running game to take a defense's focus off him. Every opposing defensive coordinator he ever faced told his players to shut down the passing game. I'd bet that no defensive coordinator ever went into a Dolphins game and said, "Watch the running game." If the Dolphins had beaten them with their running game, the opposing coaches would've gone into the post-game and flat out said, "Hey, we'll take that loss. Who'da thunk it?" And Marino still accomplished what he accomplished. 

I'm not saying Montana sucked,  by any stretch of the imagination. Montana was almost drafted by the Bucs. The mid-'80s Buccaneers?! You really think if Montana had quarterbacked that team, we'd be talking about him in Marino's class? No way. 

If Marino had been 49ers QB, the government would've broken them up for violating monopoly law.  Even Walsh has said he wishes he'd had Marino. 

If either Montana or Young had quarterbacked the teams Marino played on they would have won multiple Super Bowls ... I don't buy the argument that Marino didn't have the talent around him to win Super Bowls ... great quarterbacks find a way to win ...

• Stinks 1

On 4/29/2019 at 9:33 AM, AKA said:

Montana was so awesome that, when he got injured, Steve Young came in and had almost the exact same results...  if not better. 

Montana was my favorite QB of all time... but he was a lot like Troy Aikman.  Never sucked, very likable, had horses to make him look like a stud, and was great on the big screen.  However, while stats boosted him up, he was never “the best” if you compare talents to other QBs.  He just had Tom Brady smarts and that boosted his prowess

7 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Montana was my favorite QB of all time... but he was a lot like Troy Aikman.  Never sucked, very likable, had horses to make him look like a stud, and was great on the big screen.  However, while stats boosted him up, he was never “the best” if you compare talents to other QBs.  He just had Tom Brady smarts and that boosted his prowess

You can't measure great quarterbacks with "stats" .... that's why I consider Marino to be the most over rated QB in NFL history ....  Steve Young and Joe Montana were very similar in their abilities to extend plays and make exceptional plays out of nothing .... I don't think Aikman compares to either of them in that regard ... Aikman was a solid drop back passer and had the ability to find open secondary of third receivers, something Marino rarely did ... Great QBs like Montana, Young and Brady had that intangible ability to get the job done and overcome adversity and take their teams on their back and carry them to victory many times against the odds ... Brady was probably the best at finding a way to win, Montana and Young were right up there with him ... I honestly just can't put Marino in that group ... he racked up a lot of passing statistics but when the chips were down and the season was on the line, he never seemed to be able to get it done like the others ..... Romo comes to mind as well, great stats, but no cigar ....

59 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Montana is the elite of the elite (so was Young, for that matter), but yeah, surrounding cast played a big part in his post-season success. 

11 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

You can't measure great quarterbacks with "stats" .... that's why I consider Marino to be the most over rated QB in NFL history ....  Steve Young and Joe Montana were very similar in their abilities to extend plays and make exceptional plays out of nothing .... I don't think Aikman compares to either of them in that regard ... Aikman was a solid drop back passer and had the ability to find open secondary of third receivers, something Marino rarely did ... Great QBs like Montana, Young and Brady had that intangible ability to get the job done and overcome adversity and take their teams on their back and carry them to victory many times against the odds ... Brady was probably the best at finding a way to win, Montana and Young were right up there with him ... I honestly just can't put Marino in that group ... he racked up a lot of passing statistics but when the chips were down and the season was on the line, he never seemed to be able to get it done like the others ..... Romo comes to mind as well, great stats, but no cigar ....

What do the names of these players tell you?

OJ McDuffie
Mark Duper
Mark Clayton

Do any of these names sound familiar to you?

Jerry Rice
Dwight Clark
Roger Craig

Now, how about these names?

Jerry Rice
JJ Stokes
John Taylor
Terrell Owens

Those are the best players each of them had playing behind them.  I am pretty sure that Marino may not have had any HoF players with him except maybe Mark "Super" Duper.

Joe Montana's list features 3 HoFamers and a team that spent like the Cowboys when there was no salary cap.

and Steve Young's list is just as impressive.  I think you hate Dan Marino for whatever reason and you don't want to give up your stance.  He was an amazing QB, but never had the team to win or compete for a SB.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

What do the names of these players tell you?

Here's some fun stats... 

Miami Dolphins defense rank (record + post-season results) during Marino's career:
1983: 1st (12-4 lost in playoffs)
1984: 7th (12-4 lost Super Bowl)
1985: 12th (12-4 lost in AFC champ)
1986: 26th (8-8 missed playoffs)
1987: 26th (9-7 missed playoffs)
1988: 24th (6-10 missed playoffs)
1989: 22nd (8-8 missed playoffs)
1990: 4th (12-4 lost in AFC champ)
1991: 24th (8-8 missed playoffs)
1992: 11th (11-5 lost in AFC champ)
1993: 24th (9-7 missed playoffs)
1994: 17th (10-6 lost in playoffs)
1995: 15th (9-7 lost in playoffs)
1996: 19th (9-7 missed playoffs)
1997: 16th (9-7 lost in playoffs)
1998: 1st (eliminated by eventual Super Bowl winner Denver)
1999: 13th (9-7 record, lost in playoffs)

In those same years San Francisco's defense ranked 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 6th, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 4th.

Gee, it's almost as if defense wins championships or something.

tenor.gif

During his career, Marino only had one 1,000 yard rusher (Karim Abdul-Jabbar) and the Dolphins finished at or near the bottom in team rushing every year except for 1984 and 1994 (when they finished 13th).

In that same span of time, the 49ers never finished lower than 10th in team rushing (frequently were in the top 5 in team rushing) and had 1,000 yard rushers annually.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Mr. P changed the title to ⭐ Greatest quarterback in NFL history?
11 hours ago, AKA said:

Here's some fun stats... 

Miami Dolphins defense rank (record + post-season results) during Marino's career:
1983: 1st (12-4 lost in playoffs)
1984: 7th (12-4 lost Super Bowl)
1985: 12th (12-4 lost in AFC champ)
1986: 26th (8-8 missed playoffs)
1987: 26th (9-7 missed playoffs)
1988: 24th (6-10 missed playoffs)
1989: 22nd (8-8 missed playoffs)
1990: 4th (12-4 lost in AFC champ)
1991: 24th (8-8 missed playoffs)
1992: 11th (11-5 lost in AFC champ)
1993: 24th (9-7 missed playoffs)
1994: 17th (10-6 lost in playoffs)
1995: 15th (9-7 lost in playoffs)
1996: 19th (9-7 missed playoffs)
1997: 16th (9-7 lost in playoffs)
1998: 1st (eliminated by eventual Super Bowl winner Denver)
1999: 13th (9-7 record, lost in playoffs)

In those same years San Francisco's defense ranked 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 6th, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 4th.

Gee, it's almost as if defense wins championships or something.

tenor.gif

During his career, Marino only had one 1,000 yard rusher (Karim Abdul-Jabbar) and the Dolphins finished at or near the bottom in team rushing every year except for 1984 and 1994 (when they finished 13th).

In that same span of time, the 49ers never finished lower than 10th in team rushing (frequently were in the top 5 in team rushing) and had 1,000 yard rushers annually.

LOL ... It's hard to have a 1,000 yd rusher when you throw the ball 90% of the time ...

• LOL! 1

10 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Tough question, is the greatest QB Archie Manning, Bobby Hebert, or Drew Brees? Guess only time will tell!

Bobby Hebert woulda had Brees-like numbers if he'd had Sean Payton as his coach.  :woot:

On 5/1/2019 at 10:37 PM, Hayseed said:

Tough question, is the greatest QB Archie Manning, Bobby Hebert, or Drew Brees? Guess only time will tell!

Archie Manning had the third greatest NFL career......in his own family. That's just cause Cooper Manning had a bad break and went another route.

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

On 5/2/2019 at 8:59 AM, AKA said:

Bobby Hebert woulda had Brees-like numbers if he'd had Sean Payton as his coach.  :woot:

And Hokie Gajan woulda put up Kamara like numbers easily.

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

And Hokie Gajan woulda put up Kamara like numbers easily.

Dalton Hilliard and Reuben Mayes. Just imagine the kinda production Sean Payton could get outta those two.