Umpire Chapters

DoorMat

This could get interesting. All chapters have good umpires. It really depends on who you get for a game. The better umpires typically get the higher classification games.

I wonder what the motivation was for starting this thread. Hopefully not to bash officials. The number of officials at the High School level is decreasing in all sports. Most of it is due to coach, player, and parent abuse of officials.

Actually, I started this because I have several friends that umpire baseball. Most of them belong to the Tyler Chapter. Tyler seem to have a good bunch of umpires calling games. I was just curious to what everyone thinks about the Chapters here in East Texas. One of my buddies was calling games at a school located in Cherokee County a few weeks ago and experienced the abuse you spoke of at the end of your post. He ejected a player for throwing his bat and helmet after being called out on strikes. The player also used profanity during his tirade. After the game the players dad had to say his piece and his son again showed poor judgement coming across the field using profanity toward the umpire that ejected him. Like I said earlier, there are a lot of good umpires in East Texas. But, you are right in saying that some are quitting due to parents and players like the two I mentioned.

I have umpired high school baseball and officiated high school football in East Texas for 10 years. I can honestly say that regarding baseball umpires (or football officials for that matter), you can get a good one from either Tyler chapter or Longview chapter. You can also get a bad one from either chapter. I agree with the post earlier that it all depends on who you get from either chapter. He is also correct that the high classification games are usually officiated by the better officials, especially in football since they are drafted by the coaches, starting with the higher classification choosing first, then down the line to smaller schools.