T.I.S.D. Stadium Renovations And Crowd Size

cujoforlife

Yet JT's enrollment has grown considerably the last few years.... Lee's has been stuck around 2500 for over a decade.

Back in 2012, JT had little over 1,800 students, but now JT has close to 2,300 students. JTs Hispanic population has grown. Lee has actually lost over 300 plus kids in the last 5 years. The last 3 freshman classes have been around 700 plus at JT! There is a reason Tisd is trying to renovate the school. The NEW high school will hold over 2,750.

Back in 2012, JT had little over 1,800 students, but now JT has close to 2,300 students. JTs Hispanic population has grown. Lee has actually lost over 300 plus kids in the last 5 years. The last 3 freshman classes have been around 700 plus at JT! There is a reason Tisd is trying to renovate the school. The NEW high school will hold over 2,750.

It caps off at 2750. Not over 2750. Get it right.

Yet JT's enrollment has grown considerably the last few years.... Lee's has been stuck around 2500 for over a decade.

Lee population would be over 3000 if not for privates.

The reason for growth at JT is not due to growth in N.Tyler, its the growth of the Hispanic population,

Although the Hispanic population has grown like crazy in Tyler, the area in JT zone is not growing much. I know that sounds crazy, but just look at the trend across Texas or even the US. You can have a boom in Hispanic population in areas that aren't really growing that much. Not to pick on Marshall, but Marshall isn't really growing much at all, but the Hispanic population at Marshall High has more than tripled since 2000. I read a article not too long ago that stated that the avg. Hispanic family is larger than the rest of the races in the US.

basically is what is happening at JT, Just drive through Tyler, and you can easily see the growth is in the South. Just alot of large Hispanic families in North and East Tyler and those kids are zoned to JT.

Lee population would be over 3000 if not for privates.

The reason for growth at JT is not due to growth in N.Tyler, its the growth of the Hispanic population,

Although the Hispanic population has grown like crazy in Tyler, the area in JT zone is not growing much. I know that sounds crazy, but just look at the trend across Texas or even the US. You can have a boom in Hispanic population in areas that aren't really growing that much. Not to pick on Marshall, but Marshall isn't really growing much at all, but the Hispanic population at Marshall High has more than tripled since 2000. I read a article not too long ago that stated that the avg. Hispanic family is larger than the rest of the races in the US.

basically is what is happening at JT, Just drive through Tyler, and you can easily see the growth is in the South. Just alot of large Hispanic families in North and East Tyler and those kids are zoned to JT.

If there were no new private schools like Grace ( I know Grace been around for 22 years) and etc and no charter schools like Cumberland . I can see Lee with close to 4000 students and JT with over 3000 easily. Tyler has grown so much these last 15 plus years but Tisd has not benefitted from the growth.
  • Like 1

If there were no new private schools like Grace ( I know Grace been around for 22 years) and etc and no charter schools like Cumberland . I can see Lee with close to 4000 students and JT with over 3000 easily. Tyler has grown so much these last 15 plus years but Tisd has not benefitted from the growth.

Lee would easily be over 3000, and your probably correct about being close to 4000. Im not so sure about JT. BUT, I think If Lee had got over the 3000 mark, they would have probably built another High school in the Gresham area. In my opinion, I think very few of those kids in the privates would be at JT if those privates or charters didn't exist. Well at least not anymore. If the IB programs was only at JT like it used to be, then maybe.

Lee would easily be over 3000, and your probably correct about being close to 4000. Im not so sure about JT. BUT, I think If Lee had got over the 3000 mark, they would have probably built another High school in the Gresham area. In my opinion, I think very few of those kids in the privates would be at JT if those privates or charters didn't exist. Well at least not anymore. If the IB programs was only at JT like it used to be, then maybe.

If there were no private schools and everyone was in Tisd. Where would everyone go? If Tisd didn't have another highschool built. The only place they could go is JT. That's why I said JT could have over 3000 if and Lee could have close to 4000. These are your only option if the privates and charter schools didn't exist.

If there were no private schools and everyone was in Tisd. Where would everyone go? If Tisd didn't have another highschool built. The only place they could go is JT. That's why I said JT could have over 3000 if and Lee could have close to 4000. These are your only option if the privates and charter schools didn't exist.

Im saying that the overwhelming majority would be at Lee. Lets be honest the demographics in JT zone, ain't the demographic that is going to the private schools. I guess TISD could have rezone, but you think those kids would have ended up at JT...Im going to say NO, they would home school or move before they send their kids to JT. You know how it goes.

Isn't growth....still growth.... no matter which demographic it comes from?

2300 is still greater than 1900 no matter if the student is white, black, or hispanic.

Growth is growth.

All this talk of no growth in North Tyler...... yet JT's enrollment has jumped more in the last 5 years than ANY OTHER school in East Texas 5A or 6A.

Not even the white-flight havens of Whitehouse and Hallsville have seen their enrollments jump that much in such a short period of time.

Maybe I'm missing something.....but.... looks like to me ...... growth is growth. No matter if it's black or brown.

• Like 1

I've personally credited JT's recent growth to the school simply being a magnet school. Pair this with TISD being open enrollment, I do not believe that all 2300 kids at JT live in North Tyler.

• Like 1

All this talk of no growth in North Tyler...... yet JT's enrollment has jumped more in the last 5 years than ANY OTHER school in East Texas 5A or 6A.

John Tyler indeed is currently the fastest growing school in East Texas followed closely by Longview.

The rest of the East Texas 5A/6A schools are pretty stagnant. I'd say Lufkin is in between stagnant and very limited growth.

Lee, Nac, THigh, LVPT, Marshall etc. seem to have been floating around the same number for years now. I know Marshall has shrunk a little since the mid 2000s but I still describe them as stagnant and not declining.

10 years ago we were all expecting the Hallsville's and Whitehouse's to be on top of the fastest growing list by this time. But White flight is little to nothing now. At least compared to what it use to be.

I've personally credited JT's recent growth to the school simply being a magnet school. Pair this with TISD being open enrollment, I do not believe that all 2300 kids at JT live in North Tyler.

Of course not. I know people want to see things black or white/ north and south but you have us country folks. I live dang near in Chandler. I do all my Brookeshire's groceries shopping in Chandler. Between Hwy 31, 64, & 69 we send probably 300 to 500 kids that way.

Im saying that the overwhelming majority would be at Lee. Lets be honest the demographics in JT zone, ain't the demographic that is going to the private schools. I guess TISD could have rezone, but you think those kids would have ended up at JT...Im going to say NO, they would home school or move before they send their kids to JT. You know how it goes.

You are not understanding me. I said if there were no private and charter schools and everyone had to go to schools in Tisd. Tisd only has 2 high schools. JT would benefit from it. I'm not saying the kids in private schools would be at JT. The kids in Bulter College, White City, St. Louis and etc. would be at JT most likely because all the kids who live in South Tyler would get 1st dabs at Lee because they live closer. It's not hard to fathom that because JT is already at 2300+. Another 6-700 wouldn't be hard.

Isn't growth....still growth.... no matter which demographic it comes from?

2300 is still greater than 1900 no matter if the student is white, black, or hispanic.

Growth is growth.

Not even the white-flight havens of Whitehouse and Hallsville have seen their enrollments jump that much in such a short period of time.

Maybe I'm missing something.....but.... looks like to me ...... growth is growth. No matter if it's black or brown.

I guess you can look at it like that. I look at it this way. There has been very little housing development in N.Tyler in like forever. South Tyler, on the other hand has new subdivisions and apartments going up like crazy. So how has JT grown, Here is an example, lets say 100 black families have moved out of North Tyler. Those 100 black families have been replaced with 100 Hispanic families. But here is the difference, those 100 black families avg 2-3 kids, the new 100 Hispanic families has 4-5.

So is it growth, in a way. To me growth is what south Tyler is having, where new subdivisions and new families are moving in. Also, like Anti said, all the kids at JT ain't from N.Tyler, there are tons of kids from East Tyler and some from West Tyler at JT. But I get what you are saying, and Im not saying your wrong, I guess Im just viewing it in a different way.

You are not understanding me. I said if there were no private and charter schools and everyone had to go to schools in Tisd. Tisd only has 2 high schools. JT would benefit from it. I'm not saying the kids in private schools would be at JT. The kids in Bulter College, White City, St. Louis and etc. would be at JT most likely because all the kids who live in South Tyler would get 1st dabs at Lee because they live closer. It's not hard to fathom that because JT is already at 2300+. Another 6-700 wouldn't be hard.

I get what you are saying, JT would probably get some of those kids, but probably more like 200-300. Butler, College, White City, and etc. are zoned for Lee so It wouldn't be a matter of 1st dabs. Heck those kids in those neighborhoods have always gone to Lee, so I don't think that would change. But I understand what your saying. With 2 high schools only, it would have to rub off on JT in some way.

I get what you are saying, JT would probably get some of those kids, but probably more like 200-300. Butler, College, White City, and etc. are zoned for Lee so It wouldn't be a matter of 1st dabs. Heck those kids in those neighborhoods have always gone to Lee, so I don't think that would change. But I understand what your saying. With 2 high schools only, it would have to rub off on JT in some way.

That's the bubble neighborhood. I promise you if all the kids in South Tyler went to Lee. The kids in the west, Normandy Heights, Wellington Place, and the subdivision past the old Kelly on 31 would have no choice but to got JT because Lee would be to pack. It's way more people in the south than any other part of Tyler. I didn't even include part of East Tyler that's zone to Lee. The south along would make Lee overcrowded. They would have to trickle down somewhere. Neither school is built to hold the amount of kids they have right now. If we did have all those kids from the privates and charter schools, they would have no choice but to build a third high school any way.

• 1 month later...

Now that Rose Stadium is getting upgrades and a new seating plan is going to be put into place. With this 198 million dollar bond being passed. When will the upgrades start?

It doesn't say. So us outsiders don't know.

It doesn't say. So us outsiders doesn't know.

Well I hope they get it done as soon as possible. Even the old seats at Rose stadium needs an upgrade. Which is what I think they are going to do. I like for them to add more seats to be able to host big playoffs games. To come close to matching Home Bryce Stadium, or bigger.

• 1 month later...

When you look at what the renovations renderings look like and what their proposing, it may be that some of the kids that are going elsewhere, may choose TISD. Right now their campuses and infrastructure are so run down, its not a very attractive place to educate kids. Especially all of the portable buildings that have been there since I was at Lee. This is way overdue, and about time.

Bond%20Proposal.jpg

When you look at what the renovations renderings look like and what their proposing, it may be that some of the kids that are going elsewhere, may choose TISD. Right now their campuses and infrastructure are so run down, its not a very attractive place to educate kids. Especially all of the portable buildings that have been there since I was at Lee. This is way overdue, and about time.

Bond%20Proposal.jpg

I know what they were going to do to the school. I wanted to know about the stadium.

I know what they were going to do to the school. I wanted to know about the stadium.[/quote

I'm not hearing much about the stadium other than rumors of the press box and end zone seating

The only reason to add new seating would possibly be to draw playoff games there but most schools can fit in there now.

Lee and JT don't fill it now. So I'm not sure the seating may even be a topic of discussion when money is tight

I know what they were going to do to the school. I wanted to know about the stadium.[/quote

I'm not hearing much about the stadium other than rumors of the press box and end zone seating

The only reason to add new seating would possibly be to draw playoff games there but most schools can fit in there now.

Lee and JT don't fill it now. So I'm not sure the seating may even be a topic of discussion when money is tight

This is what he is talking about.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local/283349/tyler-isd-names-construction-manager-for-198-million-high-school-renovation-project-approves-phase-one-of-rose-stadium-seating-plan