T-High Staff

ontheinside

The year after the state title when Chris Marshall got busted the backup was black and was coach Rhone's son. Instead of playing the backup against N. Crowley Norton elected to go with the freshman Mallett. That was not a suprise since Norton had started Mallet in the first game or two because Marshall had mononucleosis. After Marshall got well Mallet was moved back to jv. A lot of black parents were upset that Rhone didn't play qb against N. Crowley but he was also a starter on defense. I did not really have a problem with the Mallett move but I understood the dissatisfaction of some of the black parents. In my opinion he is racist against black qbs and it is going to be interesting how this is going to play out at Arkansas High going forward. This past season Norton carried three qbs on varsity all of whom are white. The senior, Pearson was a three year starter. The sophomore got 90% of the backup snaps. The other qb was a junior. I figured the sophomore had the inside track on the job this upcoming season because in 19 years Norton's qbs have been multi year starters except twice. Thefirst time was Norton's first season when he inherited Jess Parker's qb and the other time was when he started Saxby for one season. On the jv was a black starter that ran a read option spread offense which was not the offense that was ever used on the varsity. So coming in to the upcoming season, with Norton as the coach, the black kid was going to be the one with no chance to start. This kid is a qb. Period. He is not a wr or a rb or a dB and sure as heck not a deep snapper. He has good wheels, good size,and a good arm. Norton was not going to change the varsity offense to play this kid. The offense has been basically the same the whole time that Norton was at THS. He never changed his offense to fit the personnel he had to work with. Texas high is the only school in Northeast Texas and southwest Arkansas that has this track record of not playing a black qb at some point on varsity. Yet more times than not THS got put out of the playoffs and beaten at other times by teams with black qbs. I'm not saying that the qbs must all be black or all be white. Just treat every kid fairly and don't be bigoted. I know of kids from other schools in town that wanted to transfer to THS because of the facilities. Some were D1 recruits playing in power 5 colleges. But once they peeped out the coaching at THS they stayed put.

I get the perception. However, I have a hard time believing a football coach won't play the best player for a position which could cost them wins... Seeing who Mallet became, I completely get that move. I also get where some people would be upset about it. But I don't know any other way of putting it... I just find it far-fetched that a coach would play "the white kid" who isn't nearly as good at a position over another kid, just because of skin color...

But then again, I've seen a lot of redneck bull #### in my short life... Just not under the lights on Friday Nights.

QUATERBACKS UNDER COACH NORTON (a couple of first names might be iffy, but the last names are correct)

Brad Vincent

Charles Ray

Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall (missed 2 games in the middle of the season, Jordan Williams replaced him)

Chris Marshall (missed first 2 games with mono, suspended last game, Mallett starts those 3 games)

Ryan Mallett

Ryan Mallett

Ryan Mallett

Nate Sorenson

Nate Sorenson

Nate Sorenson

Levi Saxby

Addison Porter

Clete Norton for about 6 games then Dakota Hunter

Dakota Hunter

Cade Pearson

Cade Pearson

Cade Pearson

The year after the state title when Chris Marshall got busted the backup was black and was coach Rhone's son. Instead of playing the backup against N. Crowley Norton elected to go with the freshman Mallett. That was not a suprise since Norton had started Mallet in the first game or two because Marshall had mononucleosis. After Marshall got well Mallet was moved back to jv. A lot of black parents were upset that Rhone didn't play qb against N. Crowley but he was also a starter on defense. I did not really have a problem with the Mallett move but I understood the dissatisfaction of some of the black parents. In my opinion he is racist against black qbs and it is going to be interesting how this is going to play out at Arkansas High going forward. This past season Norton carried three qbs on varsity all of whom are white. The senior, Pearson was a three year starter. The sophomore got 90% of the backup snaps. The other qb was a junior. I figured the sophomore had the inside track on the job this upcoming season because in 19 years Norton's qbs have been multi year starters except twice. Thefirst time was Norton's first season when he inherited Jess Parker's qb and the other time was when he started Saxby for one season. On the jv was a black starter that ran a read option spread offense which was not the offense that was ever used on the varsity. So coming in to the upcoming season, with Norton as the coach, the black kid was going to be the one with no chance to start. This kid is a qb. Period. He is not a wr or a rb or a dB and sure as heck not a deep snapper. He has good wheels, good size,and a good arm. Norton was not going to change the varsity offense to play this kid. The offense has been basically the same the whole time that Norton was at THS. He never changed his offense to fit the personnel he had to work with. Texas high is the only school in Northeast Texas and southwest Arkansas that has this track record of not playing a black qb at some point on varsity. Yet more times than not THS got put out of the playoffs and beaten at other times by teams with black qbs. I'm not saying that the qbs must all be black or all be white. Just treat every kid fairly and don't be bigoted. I know of kids from other schools in town that wanted to transfer to THS because of the facilities. Some were D1 recruits playing in power 5 colleges. But once they peeped out the coaching at THS they stayed put.

#facts

I stand corrected about the second qb after Vinson but I stand by my opinion. But even that year the jv qb would have been Nate Jones and he got moved to wr and Chris Marshall would become the sophomore starter the next year. I never said the Norton did not do what was best for the team because he did. I know that a coach can never satisfy all the parents, fans, and players. IMHO Norton was nevertheless biased against black qbs. THS has had a history regarding this matter and unless you have been in the position to watch this unfold since integration like I have you wouldn't know it. I personally saw racial bias with Watt Myers. I know of a former school board member that told a head coach that he (the coach) would never start a black qb over his (the school board member) son. In both of those cases those coaches left the following year. The former was a basketball coach. THS is also the only school never to have had a black man as a head coach on a permanent basis in a public school in Texarkana Texas or Arkansas. All of this cannot be blamed solely on a HC/AD as the school board has a say in personnel matters since integration in 1970 or 1971. I just hope that a new era has arrived at Texarkana Texas Senior High School.

While Coach Norton absolutely brought a winning tradition to Texas High, it is well known that he never trusted athletes of a certain ethnicity as varsity quarterbacks. With that said, Coach Norton is someone else's problem now. I thought this thread was about the current/ future staff.

While Coach Norton absolutely brought a winning tradition to Texas High, it is well known that he never trusted athletes of a certain ethnicity as varsity quarterbacks. With that said, Coach Norton is someone else's problem now. I thought this thread was about the current/ future staff.

Threads are allowed to evolve. Especially when it's a healthy discussion

. not sure about nortons plans for his qb at a-high.

And don't care :lol: Everybody here knows what a special Soph class they have that will be Jrs next year. He will take credit for what everybody knew was coming the next 2 years.

I'm very anxious to hear how Texas High's spring practice goes. Only concern for this team is the OL......and that is a MAJOR concern

I would like to see some Tiger practices. I was told by a parent that there will be a spring game. Can't wait. As for Norton, he has some "eyes" on him in more ways than one I can assure you all. As I have said before, it's all about the student athletes. I hope that they are successful at Arkansas High. I used to live over there so I can't help but to support them and hope for their success. If that means Norton looks good then so be it. But I could care less if he ever racked up another "W".

Who is mike Thomas...and what the #### is a the dead T....with one of the top receivers in the state...I doubt they would turn to a run heavy offense

Better recognize the great Mike Thomas and the prolific dead T offense. He's about to take the Texas High offense to never before seen heights.

Who is mike Thomas...and what the #### is a the dead T....with one of the top receivers in the state...I doubt they would turn to a run heavy offense

If he is that good then he will catch 3 passes a game but all three will be for touchdowns. If he is just average then he will catch 3 passes a game and all three will be for touchdowns. That's the beauty of the dead T. You will learn to love it when you start scoring 40-50 a game.

Dead T is an off set 3 RB power I formation, just FYI. I know this only bc my dad would only run that in NCAA14 when he played against me :lol:

• Like 1

This makes no sense...that offense is worse than. What Norton ran...name the last State champion who ran this #### offense in Texas?

If he is that good then he will catch 3 passes a game but all three will be for touchdowns. If he is just average then he will catch 3 passes a game and all three will be for touchdowns. That's the beauty of the dead T. You will learn to love it when you start scoring 40-50 a game.

This makes no sense...that offense is worse than. What Norton ran...name the last State champion who ran this #### offense in Texas?

Ennis ran the wing t in 2014 and won state. And you would score more than 50 a game in tecmo bowl if you got the raiders that's why me and my brother had a rule that you couldn't pick the raiders when we played each other.

40- 50,points in a run oriented offense with ...lol...this aint Tecmo Bowl!!!..bro quit playing this is not funny

And yes it is funny quite hilarious to me. Remember when you are playing poker or on Smoaky if you can't find the sucker then you probably are it.

Mike Thomas only calls that touchdown play..

Just like Kerry Strong only draws up plays for 3 pointers.