Coaching Profession

Why in the world do people get into the coaching profession if they are not willing to work?

It is obvious that everybody that wants to coach was once a player at the high school level at least. We all watched our coaches work, saw the amount of time they put in, were the recipient of their knowledge, were disciplined by them and saw the passion that they brought to the job every day. Why would you choose to be a coach if you aren't willing to do those same things?

Some people need to find another line of work or quit shortchanging today's youth. These kids today need coaches now more than ever to set a positive example of how to be a man, to be responsible, be honest, follow the rules, don't break the law, and to simply do your dang job.

Why in the world do people get into the coaching profession if they are not willing to work?

It is obvious that everybody that wants to coach was once a player at the high school level at least. We all watched our coaches work, saw the amount of time they put in, were the recipient of their knowledge, were disciplined by them and saw the passion that they brought to the job every day. Why would you choose to be a coach if you aren't willing to do those same things?

Some people need to find another line of work or quit shortchanging today's youth. These kids today need coaches now more than ever to set a positive example of how to be a man, to be responsible, be honest, follow the rules, don't break the law, and to simply do your dang job.

While I agree with most of this, the coaching profession is getting severely short changed by the governing bodies (UIL, state and US government). They are limiting contact hours that coaches can have with athletes, telling them how they can run their practices, and who knows what else they have outlawed...

Lazy coaches are always exposed unless the Head coach just doesn't care...

Play...you are correct....back in the stone age....late 70's.....we coaches worked our 8 hrs in the classroom...then spent 2-3 hrs practicing Mon-Wed...then on Thursdays...had a JH/JV game that if we traveled...didn't get back to school till 11-12...then WASH clothes and were at school on Friday till end of school then Friday Night Lights till 10-11....then back to the fieldhouse to WASH OR go drop off and WAIT for film to be developed....then BACK to fieldhouse by 7AM...then watch game film...grade it....THEN...WASH and put up game stuff and workout clothes...THEN watch the next week opponent and start getting ready for NEXT week.....get home around 6PM...then see the family....Sunday...go to "EARLY church"...and be back to the fieldhouse by 12 to finish up washing and storing...then meet with coaches to get finalized game plan for the week....THEN write out the weeks practice schedule and get home by.....6-7PM....THEN start the WHOLE process again.....all the while we counseled kids....were our own "trainer" with bumps and bruises.....and had to teach our lessons and keep grades in the gradebook......Basketball...well THAT's another story......atleast 2 games a week till you started tournament play.....thurs-sat.......then it was 5-6 games......LOTS of hamburgers and Home Ec made sandwiches on trips......and YES we WORKED OUR BO-hinds OFF......BUT it was ALWAYS FOR THE KIDS....lets not get into having to keep Jr or "sally" who were having problems at the house and they got kicked out of the house.....OR didn't HAVE a place to sleep or do their homework because there was NO electricity at their house...OR they needed a quiet place to do homework because it was WAY to"dramatic" at their house.......YES...PLAY...we worked HARD....but the rewards were PRICELESS!!!!!!!....watching kids graduate and succeed....YEP it's been FUN and rewarding...and NOT $$ wise....BUT it's ALWAYS BEEN FOR THE KIDS!!!!!....Don't know WHY these young coaches don't understand that.....It's NOT about them or WHAT THEY DID....You coach and teach for the KIDS!!!

• Like 4

99.9% of the guys/gals coaching today, do the things you said they should. Someone on your mind you want to ### about?

Play...you are correct....back in the stone age....late 70's.....we coaches worked our 8 hrs in the classroom...then spent 2-3 hrs practicing Mon-Wed...then on Thursdays...had a JH/JV game that if we traveled...didn't get back to school till 11-12...then WASH clothes and were at school on Friday till end of school then Friday Night Lights till 10-11....then back to the fieldhouse to WASH OR go drop off and WAIT for film to be developed....then BACK to fieldhouse by 7AM...then watch game film...grade it....THEN...WASH and put up game stuff and workout clothes...THEN watch the next week opponent and start getting ready for NEXT week.....get home around 6PM...then see the family....Sunday...go to "EARLY church"...and be back to the fieldhouse by 12 to finish up washing and storing...then meet with coaches to get finalized game plan for the week....THEN write out the weeks practice schedule and get home by.....6-7PM....THEN start the WHOLE process again.....all the while we counseled kids....were our own "trainer" with bumps and bruises.....and had to teach our lessons and keep grades in the gradebook......Basketball...well THAT's another story......atleast 2 games a week till you started tournament play.....thurs-sat.......then it was 5-6 games......LOTS of hamburgers and Home Ec made sandwiches on trips......and YES we WORKED OUR BO-hinds OFF......BUT it was ALWAYS FOR THE KIDS....lets not get into having to keep Jr or "sally" who were having problems at the house and they got kicked out of the house.....OR didn't HAVE a place to sleep or do their homework because there was NO electricity at their house...OR they needed a quiet place to do homework because it was WAY to"dramatic" at their house.......YES...PLAY...we worked HARD....but the rewards were PRICELESS!!!!!!!....watching kids graduate and succeed....YEP it's been FUN and rewarding...and NOT $$ wise....BUT it's ALWAYS BEEN FOR THE KIDS!!!!!....Don't know WHY these young coaches don't understand that.....It's NOT about them or WHAT THEY DID....You coach and teach for the KIDS!!!

Very well said, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that understands why we Should be in this profession.

Feel better now?

Actually, I do. Venting is good.

Sound so like he is bitter someone developed Hudl.

Nope, Hudl is the greatest invention to hit our world. Love the fact that I can watch video anytime, anywhere.

99.9% of the guys/gals coaching today, do the things you said they should. Someone on your mind you want to ### about?

I think your % estimation is way inflated.

the first half of this post is why the coaching industry has one of the highest divorce rates

• Like 1

the first half of this post is why the coaching industry has one of the highest divorce rates

Rough.....been with the SAME woman for 39 years....It was in our wedding vows...."to love, cherish, in sick and in health, when games go good and games go bad, And to be a "sounding board" when things go bad at school.....And to support him with your prescense at games win, lose or draw......in-laws tried their dead level best for her to NOT marry me.....NOW am the "favorite" son of the mother-in-law.....I know I am the "exception" to the coaching "family"...I GOT A KEEPER!!!!....when we first got married...she wanted 12 kids.....11 football players and a substitute.....NOW after #3.....I was told NO MORE KIDS!!!!...you have enough "other" kids to tend to....and she was and is right....I have MANY other kids that I take care of...as I said in my first post......and yes have had to "rent" many a graduation robe for young men and young women that their families couldn't afford.....and have fed literally 100's of kids meals after practice

• Like 4

Give out assignments, Hold the assistants accountable, and weed out the ones that don't meet expectations. That's in any field. You show me a bunch of young coaches not willing to work on a staff I would say they may not be getting the right leadership. If it's just one or two... call them in and fire a shot over the bow. I've been around some the hardest working young coaches and the laziest of old coaches. Everybody grab a hold of the rope and let's go to work.

• Like 2

Been in the business 30 years. Coaching is not any different than it has ever been, except technology has taken out some of the work. You have always had coaches that would work countless hours with no complaints and others that were just trying to draw a paycheck. That is why so many of them bounce around to a new job every year.

• Like 2

Been in the business 30 years. Coaching is not any different than it has ever been, except technology has taken out some of the work. You have always had coaches that would work countless hours with no complaints and others that were just trying to draw a paycheck. That is why so many of them bounce around to a new job every year.

You are probably right and I'm sure it has a lot to do with previous leadership and the direction (or lack there of) coaches were given early on in their career.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are young and ####

Not at all. Wasn't around for 8mm trade or punch holes Been in this for years. VHS was my starting point. Legal pads drawing formations. Too many old timers cry about this new generation of coaches. They are going to do what they are allowed. I don't cry about the hours I've put in at the field house. Technology has made some of the hours I worked obsolete, but what I had to do when I was a younger coach makes me appreciate the new developments.

Not at all. Wasn't around for 8mm trade or punch holes Been in this for years. VHS was my starting point. Legal pads drawing formations. Too many old timers cry about this new generation of coaches. They are going to do what they are allowed. I don't cry about the hours I've put in at the field house. Technology has made some of the hours I worked obsolete, but what I had to do when I was a younger coach makes me appreciate the new developments.

Dawg....YES SIR.....I hated those 3-4 hr wait times for film to be developed.....then drive back to the fieldhouse...just in time for 7AM meetings....glad I carried a piller and a blanket....especially when play-offs....they would close the Tyler drop off and would have to drive to either Dallas or Houston to get film developed.....THOSE WERE THE DAYS....yes Hudl has sped up the process...AND with pads and laptops that we can all access the film....kids know a lot more about the game....even if it's JUST THEIR highlights.....

Brotherman, are you talking about coaches in general or just football coaches? Are we talking about coaches who can't keep their hands to themselves and have no integrity or coaches who don't want to work 16 hour days, Saturday and Sunday during FB season? Help a brother out!