***Breaking News*** Clayton George Resigns at Tyler Lee...

Smoaky

News today Clayton George is moving on. Not sure the MO behind it all at this point, but its very disappointing to be losing a quality coach this late in the year, with some promising kids coming back.

I wish him and his family the best, not sure I want to know whats going on at Tyler Lee , with so many coaches leaving. Something is up for sure.

He came in as a coming home coach, wanting to be here long term. Sold the whole program and community. It will be interesting in coming days whats really going on. C aims he wants to spend more time with family.. thats great I hope he can and does, but dont pop up in another town, next season. That doesn't add up.

News today Clayton George is moving on. Not sure the MO behind it all at this point, but its very disappointing to be losing a quality coach this late in the year, with some promising kids coming back.

I wish him and his family the best, not sure I want to know whats going on at Tyler Lee , with so many coaches leaving. Something is up for sure.

He came in as a coming home coach, wanting to be here long term. Sold the whole program and community. It will be interesting in coming days whats really going on. C aims he wants to spend more time with family.. thats great I hope he can and does, but dont pop up in another town, next season. That doesn't add up.

Where have you been? We have been having this discussion since this morning.

I think you can hire a guy from DFW if you are in East TX but its got to be someone willing to put down roots.....in this case as much as Coach George tried making it work it just didn't happen for him and his family....a lot of times you aren't just hiring a coach you are hiring the entire family....

• Like 1

I think you can hire a guy from DFW if you are in East TX but its got to be someone willing to put down roots.....in this case as much as Coach George tried making it work it just didn't happen for him and his family....a lot of times you aren't just hiring a coach you are hiring the entire family....

I agree, but the second you hear that he wasn't going to move his family...I would've had second thoughts about him. It's a failure waiting to happen.

You are right, I want to know what's really going on at Lee or with the coach. I don't think it has anything to do with kids. Administration has known this for sometime I think. I feel like he did the right thing taking the kids through spring practice and game.
  • Like 1

I agree, but the second you hear that he wasn't going to move his family...I would've had second thoughts about him. It's a failure waiting to happen.

true, but people will tell you anything in an interview. Once they are signed on the dotted line, they can do whatever. TISD im sure probably thought family was coming. Sometimes you just never know. Who would think Traylor or Surrattt, or any other of these huge successful coaches in these small towns would stay as long as they have. Its really all about the individual. Its always a risk when you hire a coach of them leaving for some reason or another, just like its always a risk, these coaches can be fired. Just the nature of the business.

true, but people will tell you anything in an interview. Once they are signed on the dotted line, they can do whatever. TISD im sure probably thought family was coming. Sometimes you just never know. Who would think Traylor or Surrattt, or any other of these huge successful coaches in these small towns would stay as long as they have. Its really all about the individual. Its always a risk when you hire a coach of them leaving for some reason or another, just like its always a risk, these coaches can be fired. Just the nature of the business.

Exactly. I'm sure they thought he was coming. I remember him selling it as a "homecoming" to East Texas. Once he's signed his contract he can do whatever he wants.

No more DFW Coaches here. We need a East Texas guy whoever that is. The DFW connection has so many contacts to the area, the first time it gets rocky ( and its going to at Lee) they make a phone call and back to their area. This football program has been set back again.

Im hearing all kinds of things regarding Claytons exit, from the Lee people, I cant and dont want to speculate, nor do I care 24 hours later.

It is what it is at this point, and time to move on to the next one.

This will take 3-5 years just to get it off the runway again.

Lee had a chance for a playoff spot next year with a great QB and RB, and still do, but its hard to keep kids in the program and motivated when your 2-8 and keep turning over coaching staffs.

What about that coach that was successful at Daingerfield and Whitehouse? Apparently he knew what he was doing because Whitehouse is going in the wrong direction now. What was his name??

Randy McFarlin was recently named the head coach at Bishop TK Gorman . The only other name I know out there this late is Mike Meador who recently resigned a long stint at Lindale

No more DFW Coaches here. We need a East Texas guy whoever that is. The DFW connection has so many contacts to the area, the first time it gets rocky ( and its going to at Lee) they make a phone call and back to their area. This football program has been set back again.

Im hearing all kinds of things regarding Claytons exit, from the Lee people, I cant and dont want to speculate, nor do I care 24 hours later.

It is what it is at this point, and time to move on to the next one.

This will take 3-5 years just to get it off the runway again.

Lee had a chance for a playoff spot next year with a great QB and RB, and still do, but its hard to keep kids in the program and motivated when your 2-8 and keep turning over coaching staffs.

I understand the anger, but saying no to DFW coaches is not the answer. Coaches with deep east Texas ties leave to go to DFW all the time and sometimes the other way around. Again, the coaching profession is an uncertain career. Coaches have told schools they were not leaving, and then the next day, they are introduced at their new school. And then coaches are fired when they thought their job was secure. No matter where you get a coach from, there is always a chance they can leave and go anywhere. Sometimes coaches leave bigger schools and go to smaller schools. Heck, Allen's coach left and went to Barbers Hill. Nothing against Barbers Hill, but come on...who saw that coming. Lee just caught unlucky break. I feel bad for the kids, but don't limit yourself. You may get a great coach from DFW who brings in a great staff, and if he leaves, his OC or DC may be the next great coach in line for your program. Thomas Brooks left JT for Jasper and his DC became head Coach and took the program to another level, and coach Holmes was under him.

• Like 1

I understand the anger, but saying no to DFW coaches is not the answer. Coaches with deep east Texas ties leave to go to DFW all the time and sometimes the other way around. Again, the coaching profession is an uncertain career. Coaches have told schools they were not leaving, and then the next day, they are introduced at their new school. And then coaches are fired when they thought their job was secure. No matter where you get a coach from, there is always a chance they can leave and go anywhere. Sometimes coaches leave bigger schools and go to smaller schools. Heck, Allen's coach left and went to Barbers Hill. Nothing against Barbers Hill, but come on...who saw that coming. Lee just caught unlucky break. I feel bad for the kids, but don't limit yourself. You may get a great coach from DFW who brings in a great staff, and if he leaves, his OC or DC may be the next great coach in line for your program. Thomas Brooks left JT for Jasper and his DC became head Coach and took the program to another level, and coach Holmes was under him.

I think its possible if the coach was a good fit for the kids in the program. I think Marshall is a good example of a great coach fitting their program and the kids there.

At the end of the day, I just hope they can get a good fit. This late in the year, it will more than likely come from within, but it will be interesting to see what names pop up. .

I think its possible if the coach was a good fit for the kids in the program. I think Marshall is a good example of a great coach fitting their program and the kids there.

At the end of the day, I just hope they can get a good fit. This late in the year, it will more than likely come from within, but it will be interesting to see what names pop up. .

We will see how it works out for Marshall. But even if he leaves, its possible he leaves behind someone on the staff. Pat Collins left Longview, but he left behind Coach King. Thomas Brooks left JT, but he left behind Coach Rush, then Rush left and he left behind Coach Holmes. The idea situation is one like JT where you have several Alumni coaches or Tyler area coaches on staff, because you know they are rooted in the area, and are most likely to at least stay for several yrs. BUT, the next best thing is the make a hire like Marshall, and hopes he bring in a great staff, that could replace the head coach if he leaves.

Its just been alot of bad timing at Lee, with Coach Owens and now Coach Clayton leaving in May. When you leave a program after Spring ball, you are probably not going to get the coach you want.

Pretty selfish guy tbh. He should've left right after the season which would have given TISD more than enough time to find a good guy for the job. He wasn't thinking about the kids one bit throughout this process.

Pretty selfish guy tbh. He should've left right after the season which would have given TISD more than enough time to find a good guy for the job. He wasn't thinking about the kids one bit throughout this process.

We will see how it works out for Marshall. But even if he leaves, its possible he leaves behind someone on the staff. Pat Collins left Longview, but he left behind Coach King. Thomas Brooks left JT, but he left behind Coach Rush, then Rush left and he left behind Coach Holmes. The idea situation is one like JT where you have several Alumni coaches or Tyler area coaches on staff, because you know they are rooted in the area, and are most likely to at least stay for several yrs. BUT, the next best thing is the make a hire like Marshall, and hopes he bring in a great staff, that could replace the head coach if he leaves.

Its just been alot of bad timing at Lee, with Coach Owens and now Coach Clayton leaving in May. When you leave a program after Spring ball, you are probably not going to get the coach you want.

Its 3 month until kickoff against Marshall.

Clayton didnt leave behind much, as you know... this staff is in shambles

. By the time we hire a outside coach and he assembles a staff, they would have about 2 1/2 weeks to practice with the team,in August because we had spring ball.

Thats almost impossible to put O and D in and special teams.. The more you put pen to paper, its really a no brainier to go within because of those issues, unless Tom Herman walks in, and that aint happening

Clayton should have done this in January. He had to have known his family wasn't moving here. We could have had a coach and staff in here for spring ball, and been somewhat ready for summer practice.

Not selfish at all. A lot of people knew he was leaving. My 2 cents is that he was asked to stay for the Bond to pass and to make it through Spring Ball. Also he set up the interim-coaches to have at least a one year shot at being a head coach.

I'm sure his new school would have preferred to have him on board for their Spring Ball, but he waited and gave Lee a 100% right up to the last minute. Could you imagine the chaos of losing your coach right before Spring Ball. I don't have to imagine what it's like because my school has been through it...

I think he was thinking 100% about these kids through the process, however he had his own kids and family to think about. If they roll with one of the interim-coaches, which would be the smart move, then they can keep the same offense-defense and keep the program on track. If they see steady improvement with the interim coach then give him a contract, if not do the reset right after next season when there is a deeper talent pool of coaches available.

If you notice, both interim coaches come from the SLC coaching tree:

http://www.tylerleefootball.com/brad-skinner

http://www.tylerleefootball.com/shelton-gandy

My guess if that both apply for the HC position, and they one that doesn't get it only stays a year or immediately leave (same situation happened to us...)

Skinner probably has the inside track, but there is a lot of talk about the lack of black head coaches... There may be more intelligent design in this chaos than is currently visible.

Not selfish at all. A lot of people knew he was leaving. My 2 cents is that he was asked to stay for the Bond to pass and to make it through Spring Ball. Also he set up the interim-coaches to have at least a one year shot at being a head coach.

I'm sure his new school would have preferred to have him on board for their Spring Ball, but he waited and gave Lee a 100% right up to the last minute. Could you imagine the chaos of losing your coach right before Spring Ball. I don't have to imagine what it's like because my school has been through it...

I think he was thinking 100% about these kids through the process, however he had his own kids and family to think about. If they roll with one of the interim-coaches, which would be the smart move, then they can keep the same offense-defense and keep the program on track. If they see steady improvement with the interim coach then give him a contract, if not do the reset right after next season when there is a deeper talent pool of coaches available.

If you notice, both interim coaches come from the SLC coaching tree:

http://www.tylerleefootball.com/brad-skinner

http://www.tylerleefootball.com/shelton-gandy

My guess if that both apply for the HC position, and they one that doesn't get it only stays a year or immediately leave (same situation happened to us...)

Skinner probably has the inside track, but there is a lot of talk about the lack of black head coaches... There may be more intelligent design in this chaos than is currently visible.

Lee is not getting a black head coach! Just the powers that be on that side of town and TISD. The way they're talking, it could go to a outside guy.

Whatever they do they have to retain Brad Skinner as the offensive coordinator..... Amie has a full season and recent spring ball running this offense. He is familiar with it and Coach Skinner. It gives them the best chance to win next year.
Even if a outside coach walks in he will have to go that route for a season

I feel bad for Lee. Marshall was in the dumps for 3 seasons (2011-13) and it felt like a lifetime.

I can't imagine anything longer.

Mathis has set the town on fire.

Lee deserves the same. I hope they get it.

Selfishly hope it doesn't kick in for them until week 2 though lol

• Like 2