Kurt Traylor to be named Tyler Lee Football Coach...

Smoaky

I'm on a golf trip in Orlando, Florida, but Justin Wells from Inside Texas Football reported earlier today Gilmer assistant coach Kurt Traylor will be the next head football coach at Tyler Lee.

I sent a congrats text to Kurt who responded, "Thanks Smoak."

He will be introduced after he returns from vacation.

Smoaky

• Like 1

Or hire a young ETX assistant and roll the dice. Who knows. Might accidentally hire the next Traylor or Surratt. But trying to lure these big time assistants from the metroplex won't work in most cases IMO. Hire a ETX guy and take a chance. Can't be any worse than the Lee has been over the past 5 years (17-33).

Great hire for Lee. What's to say he's not as good of a head HS football coach as his brother one day. IMO this was the exact kind of hire they needed to take a chance on. Now leave the man alone and let him coach. Let him build y'all a program without a buncha bs and interference.

Will be curious to see if any Gilmer coaches go with him. He will bring a different mindset to Lee. Will be interesting to see if the kids can and will buy in. Everyone in Gilmer drinks the kool aid, all the way down to the youngest.

If you hired the oc from Gilmer why not hire the oc from Lee. The reason I say this, is because they just learned tbe system from the coaches who have been here for a year and a half. Now you bring in a new coach. Do the old coaches leave on their own because one of their guys didn't get job? Does the new coach ask them to stay because he know they know the kids. Or does he clean house and bring in his own staff. Bringing in new coaches is going to hurt a program that's already struggling as is. It's to late to be trying to learn a new playbook with only 2 weeks to get ready for Marshall.

Maybe they felt like if they gave it to the OC from Lee he might up and leave at anytime as well...he came with Coach George right?

If they keep the current OC and work off that and maybe just adjust a few things i think it works out

Possible! It depends on if the holdovers from George's staff want to stay. We will see!

Its sad for the SC coaches that came here with George. They both were candidates. They were really innocent in all of it.

There were alot of people messed around in all of this. Some might say " well thats coaching, and it is" but not really when a guy sells his story one way, and then leaves in the middle of the night, and all those around him fall into that hole.

At the end of the day, Its Traylor's job now to bring in what he feels like he can work with.

Thats a pretty easy solution. I like the hire. Hopefully he will be given time to build a program and get the students excited about football again. Needs to stay a while. Hopefully he will want to and the administration will allow it....might be a reboot with a new offensive system possibly coming in.

If you hired the oc from Gilmer why not hire the oc from Lee. The reason I say this, is because they just learned tbe system from the coaches who have been here for a year and a half. Now you bring in a new coach. Do the old coaches leave on their own because one of their guys didn't get job? Does the new coach ask them to stay because he know they know the kids. Or does he clean house and bring in his own staff. Bringing in new coaches is going to hurt a program that's already struggling as is. It's to late to be trying to learn a new playbook with only 2 weeks to get ready for Marshall.

He's not the Offensive Coordinator, he is (was) the Offensive Line and Running Game Coordinator, which I believe is different from the RB Coach since they had one of those too?? This is a great hire for Lee. Those boys better get ready to work, not Tyler Lee work, but Gilmer Buckeye work, and yes there IS a difference, lol. I expect Lee to have a good year from the get go!