Kurt Traylor to be named Tyler Lee Football Coach...

Smoaky

• 3 weeks later...

Nice article. He's going to do it his way ...the Gilmer way because that's what he knows. It's been successful in Gilmer

However he will find out Lee doesn't get every kid in the school system and shares a lot of talent with the privates in South Tyler.

Gilmer didn't win all these years without great talent.

Finding all that talent at Lee to compete in their district is going to be a challenge year in and out. Until you establish that culture and a " program" you tend to get a good group and 5 bad ones ,,Traylor can do it I have faith ..but as he said this won't happen overnight or until they put roots down. I know I'm ready for the drought to end. These 2-8 seasons are killing me anymore

I've read that Mesquite Horn lost a lot, but if Lee did too then may still be a struggle

Horn reloads as they always do. They may not be as good as Rockwall, Longview and JT but they have no business not getting the 4th slot in district this year.

North should be terrible.

Not expecting much out of Mesquite either.

Heath's offensive style won't be effective in this district and Lee will need way more than just Amie to make the playoffs.

Horn reloads as they always do. They may not be as good as Rockwall, Longview and JT but they have no business not getting the 4th slot in district this year.

North should be terrible.

Not expecting much out of Mesquite either.

Heath's offensive style won't be effective in this district and Lee will need way more than just Amie to make the playoffs.

Horn is definitely the favorite to get the 4th spot. But I still think Mesquite is gonna be better than most think. We'll see.

Lee not finishing last in district will be an accomplishment imo. Though North is going to be pretty dang bad from everything I've heard.

Horn is definitely the favorite to get the 4th spot. But I still think Mesquite is gonna be better than most think. We'll see.

Well, there have been some weird outcomes the past few years within MISD. And Mesquite did make a great hire at HC so we'll see. I don't think they do much in year one though. Loss some firepower to graduation too.

Well, there have been some weird outcomes the past few years within MISD. And Mesquite did make a great hire at HC so we'll see. I don't think they do much in year one though. Loss some firepower to graduation too.

I have never understood the Mesquite Skeeters

When Halpin was there they were a very tough out .. since he left or???

That place has been way down. When you look at the kids they have take the field during warm ups you would never guess they would be that bad. They have some good looking kids. I see this a coaching issue. If their new coach gets kids back on track they will be back up in no time.

That place has been way down. When you look at the kids they have take the field during warm ups you would never guess they would be that bad. They have some good looking kids. I see this a coaching issue. If their new coach gets kids back on track they will be back up in no time.

Yeah, Halpin won them a championship. One major thing has happened since then, the building and upcoming of Mesquite Horn. Mesquite would be getting the talent they use to get if it weren't for Horn.

Fun fact: Halpin almost joined the Longview staff sometime back. Guess it was a good thing he didn't though.

https://www.leadsonline.com/main/news/2009-news-archive/former-mesquite-coach-indicted-on-felony-charge-accused-of-pawning-more-than-100000-in-school-equipment.php

Yeah, Halpin won them a championship. One major thing has happened since then, the building and upcoming of Mesquite Horn. Mesquite would be getting the talent they use to get if it weren't for Horn.

Fun fact: Halpin almost joined the Longview staff sometime back. Guess it was a good thing he didn't though.

https://www.leadsonline.com/main/news/2009-news-archive/former-mesquite-coach-indicted-on-felony-charge-accused-of-pawning-more-than-100000-in-school-equipment.php

Yea he was going to be their JV coach. But wisdom was found. That was an amazing story of a good coach.

That place has been way down

That 2012 team they had was fantastic. I wish Alex Cooper hadn't gotten injured or they would've had a decent shot to knock off Allen that season.

If it wasn't for our good defense that season, they easily could've hung 50 on us.

http://www.etfinalscore.com/ET-Robert+E+Lee/292884/q-a-with-new-lee-football-coach

I like what Coach Traylor had to say. Hopefully it translate on the field for Lee.

I think I have already posted this, but I'll say it again. If this guy can coach half as good as he can talk then REL is gonna have some success. I would be excited if I was a REL fan. Obviously REL isn't going to be winning ships, but being competitive and playing in the postseason has to sound good to their fanbase. Hopefully this guy will give them some stability, and have enough success where he sticks around for a while. You never know with this kind of hire. If it works out he could be coaching there the next 15-20 years. That's always the goal IMO.

I will say this the kids are excited and really buying in more than they did with Coach George and the numbers are going up....I just hope all this translates on the field.,

Give it a couple of years. REL might not out athlete teams, but kids fully bought into a program playing team ball can have a lot of success. The kids will be strong and in shape that's for sure. I think year 3-4 will really tell the kind of success he is going to have. I'll be rooting for y'all.

I will say this the kids are excited and really buying in more than they did with Coach George and the numbers are going up....I just hope all this translates on the field.,

I like the fact that Traylor is a O line guy. He will take a personal interest in that group, which to me is the heart of your football team.

If that group is tough and physical, they set the game plan .

All the weight room training makes a big difference on Friday nights. However.. all schools know this.. Everyone is on it.

Lee needs the Ciron Blacks, Nick Redwines, Derrick Farmers, Da Da Browns, Fred Colemans, Joeffry Reynolds, Justin Warrens of the world to walk in the door .

I think our inconsistency in Coaching has not built those players.

Traylor is going to need some Jimmys and Joes or raise up some talent to compete with the Longviews, JTs, and Rockwalls on a consistent basis

You do have one of the top qbs in the state. So id say you got your one guy. Just need some studs on defense. Kurt is coming from a small school so maybe he plays your top athletes both ways to get job done.

You do have one of the top qbs in the state. So id say you got your one guy. Just need some studs on defense. Kurt is coming from a small school so maybe he plays your top athletes both ways to get job done.

Yep. Amie is going to be a great one. Wickware will give him some relief, however a whole new O line has to be built, along with a defense.

We had to play some kids on special teams last year to stop the bleeding. I have always thought that if you have a shot at winning a game in the 4th quarter you put your best 11 on the field, or a goaline package, 3rd and short, and a 4th and long on defense.. Im sure he will draw from some of those experiences and do just that.

I like the fact that Traylor is a O line guy. He will take a personal interest in that group, which to me is the heart of your football team.

If that group is tough and physical, they set the game plan .

All the weight room training makes a big difference on Friday nights. However.. all schools know this.. Everyone is on it.

Lee needs the Ciron Blacks, Nick Redwines, Derrick Farmers, Da Da Browns, Fred Colemans, Joeffry Reynolds, Justin Warrens of the world to walk in the door .

I think our inconsistency in Coaching has not built those players.

Traylor is going to need some Jimmys and Joes or raise up some talent to compete with the Longviews, JTs, and Rockwalls on a consistent basis

Plus the OL coach he brought in is pretty good too.. his lines have had many 1,000 yard rushers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope he does well but let's be honest Nick Saban and bill bellick would have a struggle at first in that District. Playoffs are the ultimate goal at least in year one.

I hope he does well but let's be honest Nick Saban and bill bellick would have a struggle at first in that District. Playoffs are the ultimate goal at least in year one.

I think that will be Lee's goal for most seasons in this current District.

Lee has skill kids but needs O and D line guys

That's kinda Traylors forte. Once he gets those groups built up like Gary Fleet used to, Lee will compete again

• 2 weeks later...