Kurt Traylor to be named Tyler Lee Football Coach...

Smoaky

I don't care if he is an oc or not. I was speaking about the bond these kids just built with the staff. Now they have to start all over. That's all I was saying.

I wasn't bashing what you were saying. Just pointing out he hasn't been a coordinator,which it seems like a lot don't realize. And to go from a position coach to head coach is very uncommon.

I wasn't bashing what you were saying. Just pointing out he hasn't been a coordinator,which it seems like a lot don't realize. And to go from a position coach to head coach is very uncommon.

Isn't that exactly what his brother did?

Isn't that exactly what his brother did?

Back when I was in high school it was on a Sunday morning and I was at church in Sunday School. As the class was ending it came time to do the closing prayer. The teacher looked at one of the members in the class, called him out by name, and said, "Your brother is studying to be a pastor so why don't you close us in prayer?"

Needless to say the brother that was studying to be a pastor became one. The one that prayed that day did not study to become a pastor but turned out to be an OK guy.

Coach Holmes at JT was a position coach before he became the head guy at JT.

I see the jump from position coach to Head coach at a 6A ...and have a little concern ,but I will trade it for his East Texas Roots and Connections.

I think the Lee kids never really grasped Clayton as much as he didn't either. These kids don't drive hummers to school and dye their hair blonde

I think the East Texas connection will be a leader they can call one of their own and buy into it

The other concern is the other duties as a AD for all the other sports and the time needed to deal with. It can be overwhelming if you don't have the right people to lean on. I have a lot of faith he will get the people he needs Clayton sure did.

I see the jump from position coach to Head coach at a 6A ...and have a little concern ,but I will trade it for his East Texas Roots and Connections.

I think the Lee kids never really grasped Clayton as much as he didn't either. These kids don't drive hummers to school and dye their hair blonde

I think the East Texas connection will be a leader they can call one of their own and buy into it

The other concern is the other duties as a AD for all the other sports and the time needed to deal with. It can be overwhelming if you don't have the right people to lean on. I have a lot of faith he will get the people he needs Clayton sure did.

Football, powerlifting and track are the only programs he will have to worry about. The basketball coach will be over every other sport. This issue was fixed by Priest last week.

Kurt will bring a passion that is contagious. If the people give him time he will get something going in the right direction.

Im pretty sure if he is willing to stick it out, TISD will keep him for a while to see what happens. This program needs long term stability, in order to bring up the JVs and middle schools and establish " a program" . Good to hear from a Gilmer person. He wont have any problems getting the Lee people behind him after whats been going on for 5 years.

Who determines what the kids run in junior high? With TISD having so many middles schools, I would think it would make it harder to convey the message down the line. The Traylors didn't have that problem in Gilmer. With 1 junior high they ran the same thing as the big kids did. You just want them to continue to get better every year.

Who determines what the kids run in junior high? With TISD having so many middles schools, I would think it would make it harder to convey the message down the line. The Traylors didn't have that problem in Gilmer. With 1 junior high they ran the same thing as the big kids did. You just want them to continue to get better every year.

The thing is Tyler doesn't have a true feeder school system. We have assigned schools but that doesn't mean they'll go to Lee or Jt. Jt gets students from all 6 middle schools believe it or not! Thanks to TISD athletics rule change, you play at the high school you're zoned to not the middle school you go to. If you transfer you miss 2 years of varsity play.

The thing is Tyler doesn't have a true feeder school system. We have assigned schools but that doesn't mean they'll go to Lee or Jt. Jt gets students from all 6 middle schools believe it or not! Thanks to TISD athletics rule change, you play at the high school you're zoned to not the middle school you go to. If you transfer you miss 2 years of varsity play.

That seems like it would make it very hard to have any consistency and stability at the JH level.

That seems like it would make it very hard to have any consistency and stability at the JH level.

When I was going to school only two middle school ran the offense of the high school that most of the players were going to. Boulter middle school ran JT's and Hubbard ran Lee's offense.

it is my understanding:

Kurt presented a big change program...one that has been successful @ Gilmer...one that builds character, a work ethic, responsibility, ownership...the X's & O's will come later. Three assistance have turned in their resignation & two more are in the decision process.

Kurt will be missed just like Jeff...Buckeyes will be fine cause they believe in our program.

And on the liger side...Buckeye Nick York is coming home as the new Receiver Coach

Best of luck to Kurt & his family

That will definitely be an obstacle

it is my understanding:

Kurt presented a big change program...one that has been successful @ Gilmer...one that builds character, a work ethic, responsibility, ownership...the X's & O's will come later. Three assistance have turned in their resignation & two more are in the decision process.

Kurt will be missed just like Jeff...Buckeyes will be fine cause they believe in our program.

And on the liger side...Buckeye Nick York is coming home as the new Receiver Coach

If he can pull 5 assistamts from Gilmer, that would be huge. To already have a staff that knows the system and ways he wants things done would be very beneficial.

it is my understanding:

Most all new coaches bring in their own staff and inject the team and character building slogans into the locker room. This team has had alot of those in place with Coach George, and jumped thru hoops for the Coach and program. They played 4 quarters every week last season even when the season was over, or the score was out of reach. They never quit on a game. Had they had any kind of defense at all or a D Coach that could make adjustments,.. they would have been a playoff team no doubt. They will put up some great offensive numbers next season with Amie and Wickware. One trait I like about Traylor is he is a O line guy, just as Mike Owens was.

If Traylor can shore up the defense and special teams , he will be in every game next season with that offense.

Nice article from Lee Facebook page

Robert E. Lee High School head football coach approved by Tyler ISD Board of Trustees

June 5, 2017

The Tyler ISD Board of Trustees approved Tyler ISD Athletic Director Greg Priest's recommendation of Kurt Traylor as the new head football coach for Robert E. Lee High School at a special called board meeting Monday afternoon.

Coach Traylor comes to Tyler ISD from Gilmer, where he was assistant football coach serving as offensive line and running game coordinator for 17 years. During his time at Gilmer, the football team claimed three state championships (2014, 2009, 2004) and reached the championship finals in 2012 and 2007. In the 2014 championship run, Gilmer scored 950 points, ranking as the 2nd highest scoring team in Texas history.

I am excited to have Kurt Traylor as the new head football coach at Robert E. Lee, Priest said. During our search, it was clear Coach Traylor was the right fit for the job. He is an East Texas guy with great passion for the game and a strong work ethic. Our goal was to get someone who could not only successfully lead the football program, but understood the importance of building relationships with the middle schools, faculty, staff and most importantly the community.

Coach Traylor has received many accolades from notable high school and college coaches, including the following:

Kurt is one of the best football coaches that Ive had the opportunity to coach against, Scott Surratt, head football coach at Carthage ISD, said. He is a great motivator, has a great mind for the game of football, and will do great as the head football coach at Tyler Lee.

Ive known Kurt for many years and consider him to be one of the brightest minds in the business, Chad Morris, head football coach at Southern Methodist University said. His ability to develop young men into leaders is what sets him apart from others. His reputation across our State for the type of person he is and the programs he has been associated with is as good as anyone Ive known. There is no doubt that Coach Traylor is ready for this new challenge and his players will be ready for any endeavor they will encounter both on and off the field.

Kurt Traylor is one of the most loyal and hardworking coaches I have ever had to pleasure of working with, SMU associate head coach, Jeff Traylor, added. His teams will be as prepared for life as they will be on the field. I cant wait for Tyler to get to know Kurt, Katie, Allie, Rylie, Will and Kole.

Kurt Traylor, who I worked with at Texas A&M, is as good as I have ever been around, JB Grimes, offensive line coach at University of Connecticut and former offensive line coach at Texas A&M, said. No one knows Texas high school football as well as he does and certainly no one knows East Texas and the brand of football that is played there better. He is a great student of the game and one the finest innovators offensively as I have ever seen in high school and college. He will always be on the cutting edge scheme wise, and he has a great understanding of how to run a top rate high school program. He will create great relationships with his players, but also has the personality to train them as well. He is a proven winner many times over. Tyler Lee is getting a great teacher, a great coach and great family man in Kurt.

Coach Traylors official start date with the District will be June 12. Media interviews can be arranged with Coach Traylor through the Communications Department after his start date.

Most all new coaches bring in their own staff and inject the team and character building slogans into the locker room. This team has had alot of those in place with Coach George, and jumped thru hoops for the Coach and program. They played 4 quarters every week last season even when the season was over, or the score was out of reach. They never quit on a game. Had they had any kind of defense at all or a D Coach that could make adjustments,.. they would have been a playoff team no doubt. They will put up some great offensive numbers next season with Amie and Wickware. One trait I like about Traylor is he is a O line guy, just as Mike Owens was.

If Traylor can shore up the defense and special teams , he will be in every game next season with that offense.

The offense won't be as good as you think it is. A whole new offensive line and new receiving core.