Become a Football Official

HSBRangers

You guys like to talk about football, but do you have what it takes to be a Football Official? There is a need for more Football Officials all across the state of Texas and East Texas is know different. Come and be a part of the Tyler Chapter of the Texas Association of Sports Officals. Training is provided.

We have an Informational Meeting on Monday July 17th at TJC West Campus in room 101. The meeting will begin at 6:30 and last approximately 1 hour.

For more information check us out on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/tylertasofootball/

FB Informational meeting.jpg

The shortage of football officials is getting dangerously low...no officials no HSFB....so if you are even considering it I encourage you to look into it...great way to be involved, stay in shape and potentially make some decent money down the line...

The shortage of football officials is getting dangerously low...no officials no HSFB....so if you are even considering it I encourage you to look into it...great way to be involved, stay in shape and potentially make some decent money down the line...

In shape. That's not what I see on Friday night's.

• Like 2

There is a chapter in Longview and one in Tyler. Coverage areas overlap. Longview chapter has more games to the east.

There is a chapter in Longview and one in Tyler. Coverage areas overlap. Longview chapter has more games to the east.

Come join us on the 17th. You can show us what in shape looks like.

I used to officiate basketball . I have kids who play sports now. I enjoy watching them from the sidlines. Officiating is on the backburner as of now. Trust me I know what being in shape looks like.

You guys like to talk about football, but do you have what it takes to be a Football Official? There is a need for more Football Officials all across the state of Texas and East Texas is know different. Come and be a part of the Tyler Chapter of the Texas Association of Sports Officals. Training is provided.

We have an Informational Meeting on Monday July 17th at TJC West Campus in room 101. The meeting will begin at 6:30 and last approximately 1 hour.

For more information check us out on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/tylertasofootball/

Thanks for all you guys do. It's tough to call a game all the fans, players, and coaches are so passionate about without instant replay.

Without you guys the show can't go on.

Houston is about to face the consequences of high school footballs looming officiating crisis

One solution to the issue? One coach suggested schools work with local colleges that offer sport management degrees to provide an officiating and game operations elective that would staff games with young, eager refs. This would compel young people a critical demographic that isnt replacing older referees at the necessary numbers to work to earn school credits and/or cash and provides a new batch of recruits for local sports organizations. Some will likely enjoy getting a hands-on avenue to work in youth sports and keep doing it beyond graduation, but even if they dont, a new batch of students would come right behind to replace them. Its a win-win for both sides.

http://footballscoop.com/news/houston-face-consequences-high-school-footballs-looming-officiating-crisis/

How bout this for a solution; $200 a game tax free varsity games and $150 a game for sub varsity games...problem solved.

How bout this for a solution; $200 a game tax free varsity games and $150 a game for sub varsity games...problem solved.

Certainly ought to help, and with the money spent on athletics, that would hardly make a ripple at bigger schools.

So the pay is a percentage of the gate?

Yes. Football is the only sport where "gate" still factors. You can google uil 1204 and see the pay for all sports in Texas

In East Texas, $200 would be an extremely high game fee. Matt Steps assertation that many guys get more than that is probably more true in the areas with a lot of large schools. Officials do get paid mileage. Some schools fudge on the gate as well.

Not a perfect solution out there, but I wish they would raise the Varsity pay and get rid of the gate. Subvarsity pay has gone up in recent years...but I would not complain if it were higher.

The officials that love the gate are the ones that only work 5A and 6A games. Plus gates can be large in the playoffs as well.

Some guys make way more than 200$ a game for a varsity game.....just depends on the gate etc..its the subvarsity pay and issues at that level that IMO are causing the shortage of officials

Gotcha; wasn't real sure how that worked. If that's the case, pay em $400 a game.

Football rates per UIL......

Varsity Gross Gate Receipts 1 Game

$150 to $250 $60

$250 to $500 $65

$500 to $1,000 $70

$1,000 to $2,000 $75

$2,000 to $3,000 $80

$3,000 to $4,000 $85

$4,000 to $5,000 $90

$5,000 to $7,500 $95

$7,500 to $10,000 $100

$10,000 to $12,500 $105

$12,500 to $15,000 $110

$15,000 to $17,500 $125

$17,500 to $20,500 $135

Each additional $5,000 $30

Sub-Varsity and Junior High (7th & 8th Grade) Each Game Per Official 12-minute quarters $55 10-minute quarters $50 8-minute quarters $45

NOTE: After three hours, each additional hour is $50 for all sports except football, which is $75 each additional hour.

The note at the end refers to scrimmages. That money goes to the chapter. Officials are not paid for scrimmages

Just a reminder...Football Officiating is not only about Friday nights. I know many of you attend and support your favorite team each week on Friday. Our biggest need is Sub-Varsity coverage on Thursday nights...we also have some games on Monday and Tuesday. We have officials that only work sub-varsity games because of child playing on Friday or wanting to just be fan....but if you get into officiating and grow to love it, you won't want to be in the stands on Friday either. We have the best seats in the house.

See the original post for information on our meeting July 17th. Come and check it out. You might find that you look good in vertical stripes.