Argyle football

Sportsfanatic1

I agree with that. Argyle has a top notch program without question. But there are far more advantages when you are taught from an early age and your family has a high income to be able to do all the extras that aren't afforded in small town ETX.

Yes but teams like Carthage out athletes Argyle by miles. It's like BYU taking on Bama as far as athletes go.

I can't spell it out any better without stirring the pot. I'll just keep it at demographics. If you don't think that plays a major role in HS football then you are not paying attention to the schools that play in Jerry's World on a yearly basis.

I understand where you trying to come from but my thinking is how do you explain Carthage, Gilmer, Navasota or Kilgore being dominant 4A state title contenders year in and out. Those schools demographics differ a lot from the Argyle, Aledo, and SLC schools but yet they find a way to make it to jerry worlds too.

I should have been more clear, skilled players. I'm sure Argyle has had some lineman go because of size and the fundamentals they have been taught.

Also their strength program is very good.

What about Ralston and Sadler? Ian Sandler was one of the best skill players I have ever seen in HS. They have had plenty of outstanding skill guys. Those 2 are just off the top of my head. But I understand what you are saying. Top to bottom Carthage will have more athletic skill guys year in and year out.

I understand where you trying to come from but my thinking is how do you explain Carthage, Gilmer, Navasota or Kilgore being dominant 4A state title contenders year in and out. Those schools demographics differ a lot from the Argyle, Aledo, and SLC schools but yet they find a way to make it to jerry worlds too.

To be honest Kilgore is not a state title contender year in and year out. Their playoff record since dropping is 10-5. For reference in that same time Carthage's is 20-3, and Argyle's is 20-4. Both have won championships. Navasota was Carthage. They had a once in a lifetime coach who built an outstanding program. Now that he is gone they can barely win games. Carthage and Gilmer are anomalies. Especially Gilmer.
  • Like 1

Argyle has hands down the best overall athletic program in the state at the 4a level. Followed by AW. If you look at those 2 schools you will see a lot of similarities. I'm not taking anything away from them. But those school's kids have a lot of privileges that kids in ETX do not have. Rodgers has built an outstanding program not only in football, but all sports. But as for pure football coach, I don't think he is on the same level with Surratt. Just a personal opinion, that is probably thru the eyes of a homer. So take it for what it is.

Argyle has hands down the best overall athletic program in the state at the 4a level. Followed by AW. If you look at those 2 schools you will see a lot of similarities. I'm not taking anything away from them. But those school's kids have a lot of privileges that kids in ETX do not have. Rodgers has built an outstanding program not only in football, but all sports. But as for pure football coach, I don't think he is on the same level with Surratt. Just a personal opinion, that is probably thru the eyes of a homer. So take it for what it is.

Yes but, AW has a huge enrollment advantage. If you notice they are the Highkand Park of 4A, barely under the cutoff line every time.

• Like 1

Argyle is one of the best in the state this year. They are every year, but this team blew out a decent Lovejoy team in week one. My Lovejoy contact, says they are much better than last year. It would be a good matchup between Carthage and Argyle, but that is a long way from now. It will be fun following these teams until that possible game.

• Like 1

How y'all doin' over here? Having a hard time swallowing on Argyle, Huh? Well....last year they had a pretty darn good team with a hurt qb, but still managed to go undefeated until they met a very mature Wylie team in the playoffs. BTW>>>Wylie played a much better game against Argyle than they did against Carthage. They came out pretty tough against Carthage, but made some bad mistakes too. This year we'll see what happens.......apparently there are lots of very quality teams in 4A-D1. Stephenville is back.....so is Brownwood. Waco LV, Cuero, PG, and who knows what other team like Midlothian Heritage might emerge? Kennedale is always good, and then there's always Argyle to worry about. Carthage and Argyle don't ever have to worry about each other until State because one or the other will either lose to somebody else or they will both keep winning and finally say Hello again at State. BTW>>>LE ain't dead yet......they could come on and have a run at this thing too. Then there's injuries that could happen......don't forget about that. Argyle has 4 capable qb's......4 rb's......10 recievers......they are very very deep with athletes this year. Not as big on the D-line as in past years.......but much quicker and EVERYBODY is running hard to the ball this year. I did not see much difference between the starters and 2nd teamers......so far. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks against Celina and Wylie. I hear Celina has reverted back to their "old style" of play......running and grinding and playing tough defense. Liberty Christian barely got by them, but actually Celina should have won that game. I would not sneeze on Celina this year come playoff time......just sayin'. What else do you want to know? It's football season in Texas.....expect the unexpected and be happy you live in Texas.

How y'all doin' over here? Having a hard time swallowing on Argyle, Huh? Well....last year they had a pretty darn good team with a hurt qb, but still managed to go undefeated until they met a very mature Wylie team in the playoffs. BTW>>>Wylie played a much better game against Argyle than they did against Carthage. They came out pretty tough against Carthage, but made some bad mistakes too. This year we'll see what happens.......apparently there are lots of very quality teams in 4A-D1. Stephenville is back.....so is Brownwood. Wylie, Waco LV, Cuero, PG, and who knows what other team like Midlothian Heritage might emerge? Kennedale is always good, and then there's always Argyle to worry about. Carthage and Argyle don't ever have to worry about each other until State because one or the other will either lose to somebody else or they will both keep winning and finally say Hello again at State. BTW>>>LE ain't dead yet......they could come on and have a run at this thing too. Then there's injuries that could happen......don't forget about that. Argyle has 4 capable qb's......4 rb's......10 recievers......they are very very deep with athletes this year. Not as big on the D-line as in past years.......but much quicker and EVERYBODY is running hard to the ball this year. I did not see much difference between the starters and 2nd teamers......so far. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks against Celina and Wylie. I hear Celina has reverted back to their "old style" of play......running and grinding and playing tough defense. Liberty Christian barely got by them, but actually Celina should have won that game. I would not sneeze on Celina this year come playoff time......just sayin'. What else do you want to know? It's football season in Texas.....expect the unexpected and be happy you live in Texas.

Sorry to you Kilgorites.......didn't mean to leave you out of the equation.....or Van either. Both of these teams look strong this season. Like I said......apparently there must be 15 teams in 4A-D1 that are "loaded" this season. Should make for some very exciting Friday nights. Argyle at Celina this week......we lost at their place a couple of years ago......it can happen again and can happen any week to any of these fine football teams. It's very possible that there will not be an undefeated team in 4A-D1 this season......very possible.

How y'all doin' over here? Having a hard time swallowing on Argyle, Huh? Well....last year they had a pretty darn good team with a hurt qb, but still managed to go undefeated until they met a very mature Wylie team in the playoffs. BTW>>>Wylie played a much better game against Argyle than they did against Carthage. They came out pretty tough against Carthage, but made some bad mistakes too. This year we'll see what happens.......apparently there are lots of very quality teams in 4A-D1. Stephenville is back.....so is Brownwood. Waco LV, Cuero, PG, and who knows what other team like Midlothian Heritage might emerge? Kennedale is always good, and then there's always Argyle to worry about. Carthage and Argyle don't ever have to worry about each other until State because one or the other will either lose to somebody else or they will both keep winning and finally say Hello again at State. BTW>>>LE ain't dead yet......they could come on and have a run at this thing too. Then there's injuries that could happen......don't forget about that. Argyle has 4 capable qb's......4 rb's......10 recievers......they are very very deep with athletes this year. Not as big on the D-line as in past years.......but much quicker and EVERYBODY is running hard to the ball this year. I did not see much difference between the starters and 2nd teamers......so far. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks against Celina and Wylie. I hear Celina has reverted back to their "old style" of play......running and grinding and playing tough defense. Liberty Christian barely got by them, but actually Celina should have won that game. I would not sneeze on Celina this year come playoff time......just sayin'. What else do you want to know? It's football season in Texas.....expect the unexpected and be happy you live in Texas.

Excellent post as usual!

Celina should NOT have won lol. Liberty Christian should have scored at least two more touchdowns, but fumbled the ball twice. Liberty Christians dline destroyed Celinas oline all night.

• Like 1

Celina should NOT have won lol. Liberty Christian should have scored at least two more touchdowns, but fumbled the ball twice. Liberty Christians dline destroyed Celinas oline all night.

Well heck, Red......don't blow my hype for next week's game for heaven sakes, LOL. I gotta keep everybody wondering about the Argyllians......I guess Celina is in for a double dose back to back, hahaha.