Argyle football

Sportsfanatic1

Well heck, Red......don't blow my hype for next week's game for heaven sakes, LOL. I gotta keep everybody wondering about the Argyllians......I guess Celina is in for a double dose back to back, hahaha.

Argyle can name there score against Celina lol. It will be ugly fast unless Argyle forgets how to play football...

Yeah......you're right.......I got kinda carried away with all the good teams. But I think I drove the point home anyways......don't y'all??? Now that we have that settled.......how many are ready to hand that trophy to Carthage, Huh???

Don't hand Carthage anything, we have always fought and earned our trophies. One game at a time, win or lose!

Celina should NOT have won lol. Liberty Christian should have scored at least two more touchdowns, but fumbled the ball twice. Liberty Christians dline destroyed Celinas oline all night.

Nail on the head!

Liberty coughed up three scores against Celina. Celina's one TD was on a broken play 10 second scramble and throw up a prayer with about 3 holding calls missed that got them inside the 5. Celina was manhandled by Liberty's front 7! Liberty should have won that game 28-0...will settle for 10-9 though because a W is a W.

Argyle will destroy Celina. The QB the Eagles stole from Liberty 😉 will tear up the Celina D. He did it last year for Liberty with a terrible OL and banged up WR corps.

• Like 1

Nail on the head!

Liberty coughed up three scores against Celina. Celina's one TD was on a broken play 10 second scramble and throw up a prayer with about 3 holding calls missed that got them inside the 5. Celina was manhandled by Liberty's front 7! Liberty should have won that game 28-0...will settle for 10-9 though because a W is a W.

Argyle will destroy Celina. The QB the Eagles stole from Liberty will tear up the Celina D. He did it last year for Liberty with a terrible OL and banged up WR corps.

Argyle did not go looking for any qb in the off-season......didn't need to. Copeland came over because he wanted to. Argyle already had Clearman and two other very capable qb's that could lead this team to a championship. If the family is from Argyle, and wants their son to move from LC to Argyle.....or he wants it.....then that is their choice to make. There was still a qb competition to determine which one would start. Clearman would be the starter on most 4A teams.....and probably for LC this season as well. He's an excellent thrower and runner.....a very good athlete. He starts on defense in the secondary, and can lay a hit too! He's a junior this season and will most likely be the starter next season....but not necessarily. He's a good baseball player......a good pitcher.......and may get some offers there. Besides, we have a soph. qb that's very good too. You just never know what will happen from year to year......look what Copleland decided to do. Argyle has a population of only 4000, so splitting up the athletes between two schools in this small town does somewhat diminish the homegrown talent. LC is private, but there are plenty of well-heeled families in Argyle that want their son attending a "private" school instead of a public one.......and they are willing to pay for it. I hope this clears up any misconceptions by those not close to the circumstances.

• Like 1

I was told this might be Argyle's best team they've ever had.....very well could be.....I do know Argyle has a lot of new faces this year (18 PAPF's is what I was told)...don't know how many contribute or are key varsity players but that is an unusually high number....

Also generally speaking teams with more affluent socio-economic bases have more success in football...that's been especially true over the past 20 years...I don't think its coincidence at all...these kids come from good homes, where their parents are generally successful people so they have that mentality instilled in them...they generally don't have to get jobs to support their family, they can pay for the best training in many cases to maximize their talent...the more affluent schools do come with their own set of issues, but they aren't something that generally hinders winning...

Talk to a coach who has coached at a school with a high socioeconomic base vs. one at a school where the kids aren't as well off....big differences!

• Like 1

As for Lovejoy being ranked #8 in 5A, the announcer was probably just handed some press release to read...remember Argyle-Lovejoy was part of the Tom Landry Classic, so the PR machine was running full speed ahead to drum up the game...I'm sure they found something that had Lovejoy ranked 8th somewhere and rolled with it.....

• Like 1

Argyle did not go looking for any qb in the off-season......didn't need to. Copeland came over because he wanted to. Argyle already had Clearman and two other very capable qb's that could lead this team to a championship. If the family is from Argyle, and wants their son to move from LC to Argyle.....or he wants it.....then that is their choice to make. There was still a qb competition to determine which one would start. Clearman would be the starter on most 4A teams.....and probably for LC this season as well. He's an excellent thrower and runner.....a very good athlete. He starts on defense in the secondary, and can lay a hit too! He's a junior this season and will most likely be the starter next season....but not necessarily. He's a good baseball player......a good pitcher.......and may get some offers there. Besides, we have a soph. qb that's very good too. You just never know what will happen from year to year......look what Copleland decided to do. Argyle has a population of only 4000, so splitting up the athletes between two schools in this small town does somewhat diminish the homegrown talent. LC is private, but there are plenty of well-heeled families in Argyle that want their son attending a "private" school instead of a public one.......and they are willing to pay for it. I hope this clears up any misconceptions by those not close to the circumstances.

Trust me my Copeland comment was purely tongue in cheek. That kid left because the defensive minded HC decided last year Liberty would go one way when District started and left NO ONE on the offensive line. Copeland ran for his life for two months last season and wound up hurt because of it. Those of us in the stands felt bad for Copeland and understood why he left. It was clearly stupid when they made the decision and has proven stupid over time. No shock that this year they've made OL a priority.

That said the fact is Argyle is getting a lot more transfers in the past couple of years than they have in the past. That's what happens when you build programs like they have. Kids/Parents want to be a part of it.

The starting center at Argyle is a Liberty transfer too. Best WR is from Coppell. A coach from Argyle also reached out to the dad of one of Liberty's remaining top players over the summer when he heard a rumor the kid was thinking about leaving Liberty.

And 18 PAPF's says a lot about the makeup of your team. Argyle is a program with buzz and is receiving a lot of help from transfers. I personally don't have a problem with it because I don't think they're inducing these kids.

It's just funny to me when the coaches at Argyle pretend the big bad wolf is the private school down the street that wants to recruit all the talent away. In fact this year Liberty may have got their first ever transfer from Argyle that will actually contribute.

Most of Libertys athletes don't come from Argyle anyway. So there isn't this dilution of talent that some speak of.

I want to know why the Argyle Eagles and Liberty Christian don't play each other? That would be an awesome cross town rivalry.

1- Argyle would dominate; Liberty not on their level

2- It's a lose-lose for Argyle; you win and you're right where you are now (Argyle doesn't lose many HS kids to Liberty) but you lose and you may open that door

3- Liberty wouldn't want to create any animosity because they are going to hope Argyle families choose Liberty at some point.

Nail on the head!

Argyle will destroy Celina. The QB the Eagles stole from Liberty will tear up the Celina D. He did it last year for Liberty with a terrible OL and banged up WR corps.

This is a lot like Princeton losing at Celina. I believe the officiating allowed Celina 1 TD. Late in the game (if they were not behind and shouldn't have been) Princeton threw a Pick 6.

Three times Princeton got down and should have scored a TD those 3 times.

Princeton could have won something like 45 to 21 or 24 or something like that if Princeton hadn't have beaten themselves more than Celina had beaten them.

Celina got fortunate. I think after Argyle Celina's next strongest opponent on the schedule may be Melissa.

Also when Van came out like they did and Princeton was up 27-0 14 minutes into the game my friends and I knew Princeton would not win because Van woke up. That's how Princeton is right now. It's not looking so good.

As for Lovejoy being ranked #8 in 5A, the announcer was probably just handed some press release to read...remember Argyle-Lovejoy was part of the Tom Landry Classic, so the PR machine was running full speed ahead to drum up the game...I'm sure they found something that had Lovejoy ranked 8th somewhere and rolled with it.....

That was Lovejoy's normal announcer and there is a very long history of wrong stats, wrong player names, wrong down and distance, etc. You get the gist...

• Like 1

I should have been more clear, skilled players. I'm sure Argyle has had some lineman go because of size and the fundamentals they have been taught.

Also their strength program is very good.

Hmmm.

2013 football season / 2014 class - 5 D1 players (WR, LB, DB, K, DT). Also included D1 track athlete

2014 football season / 2015 class - 1 D1 player (RB)

2015 football season / 2016 class - 4 D1 players (DT, OT, TE, WR)

10 D1 players in 3 years, 3 of which were linemen. Not a slow prodding, cornfed program. Argyle has skill players

Transfers probably don't hurt, but I am talking more demographics. I don't think it's a coincidence that SLC, Aledo, Argyle, and all the other schools that share the same demographics have a ton of success every year.

Lovejoy has the same demographics, and are probably closest to SLC's and doesn't have the success. We simply don't have enough lineman. I think demographics are only one factor. The school board and superintendent are another huge factor that isn't talked about. Look at the fall the Plano ISD has taken. There is a formula for success and the admin/board are a big part of that formula.