Cushing/Hawkins lawsuit

CutBlock

Hawkins and Cushing ISD investigating altercation following Friday evening football game

By: Daniel Pierce

Posted: Sep 09, 2017 01:03 PM CDT

Updated: Sep 09, 2017 02:28 PM CDT

Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Headlines

Hawkins and Cushing ISD investigating...

One person killed in Friday afternoon...

Authorities identify pedestrian...

Both Hawkins ISD and Cushing ISD are looking into a situation which unfolded Friday evening following the high school football game.

Hawkins fell to Cushing 22-20 after a tense match-up all evening long.

After the game ended, both teams met for the traditional sportsman-like "congratulations." This is when the altercation reportedly began.

Details regarding what exactly happened during this time are still unclear.

According to Hawkins ISD Superintendent Morris Lyon, "at the end of our home game last night a coach from the opposing team ran onto the field to address our players resulting in a penalty against their team. The incident resulted in an altercation involving both teams."

A full post on social media from the superintendent reads:

"HISD is committed to ensuring safety on campus and at extra curricular events. Furthermore, Hawkins ISD strives to exhibit and instill sportsmanship, at all levels. After speaking with coaches, students, and officials, in regards to {friday's} incident at the home football game vs. Cushing, I believe our coaches responded in a manner to protect our students. Legal action will be pursued against Cushing team's personnel and a request for UIL sanctions against Cushing ISD and/or personnel will be field with the UIL Executive Director. . ."

Cushing Superintendent Michael S. Davis said they too are looking into the incident. He said, "allegations are that it involved two assistant coaches. An assistant coach for Hawkins, and an assistant coach for Cushing. I think the dispute's going to be who started that altercation."

He stated that once he understands the circumstances around the situation he will make a decision on how they will respond.

We will update you as we continue to follow this story.

Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

This really does not surprise me and supprised it does not happen more often really. Not saying anything about these two schools, but in general.

I have known a lot of coaches throughout my years and you have some great, great, mentors for our kids and then you have some #### ones who have no reason at all to be out there with our kids. They can't teach character because they have none at all! Some of these coaches live horrible personal lives and their personal time is their right, but that is a reflection of who they really are.

But don't get me wrong, I am not bashing on coaches, their are some great ones out there who are looked at like father/mother figures. JS

• Like 1

Is this a rival that no one's ever heard of?

No. These two rarely, if ever, meet up in any sort of competition. I think this series was scheduled because both programs were looking for a win. I don't think Hawkins has made the playoffs since '09, and Cushing has been much longer than that.