Gilmer vs Liberty Christian

RedRed

Gonna be a good ole ball game folks. Liberty Christian is way different than last year's team and they have 4 d1 players. They shocked Celina last week and rumor has it the score should have been a lot worse. I'm leaning Gilmer wins in a low scoring game, but would not be surprised if Liberty wins.

Gilmer 21

Liberty 17

I remember back about 7 or 8 yrs ago......whenever it was......that little ol' Argyle played Gilmer in the playoffs for the first time. Everybody on this board was sayin' how great Gilmer was and how they were gonna lay the mustard to the Argyllians. I know some of these same Gilmerites are still on this board and they remember well. And Gilmer DID have a very good team......but so did little ol' Argyle......and we know how that game turned out.......just sayin'. Nothing wrong with pulling for your beloved Boyz on the Gridiron of Glory, but as I recall.....Gilmer has had some troubles on the defensive side of the ball this season. And I seriously doubt they have faced a defense as good as Liberty Christian so far. I look for a very good ballgame here.......not a high scoring shootout. All in all, it should be a great predistrict game for both teams that will help both teams improve in areas of weakness. I'll take Gilmer in this one 35-21. I reckon Gilmer will start off the scoring and get a 2 touchdown lead before LC realizes how to contain them.......and those td's will be the winning margin.

• Like 1

Warning: Long Post

-Liberty has two players on roster with D1 offers. One of their senior safeties, Grant Sawyer, is committed to Tulsa as an OLB. They also have a junior DE that has offers from Baylor and Oklahoma State as of now. He played his first football game against Melissa in game 1. He's all projection right now but did wreak havoc against Celina.

-They do have another senior safety that's a D1 athlete...but is committed to Auburn for baseball...not football.

-They have quality players elsewhere but not sure where the "4 D1 players" is coming from.

-This is a much improved team...especially defensively. They have a solid front 7 and the two senior safeties are very good. They also have a sophomore CB that looks like he will be a top notch DB one day.

-The OL is also vastly improved...but unfortunately banged up already. They lost their starting C (220 pound soph) and RG (285 pound senior) for the year during pre season. They moved another senior (6'3" 280) from his original starting spot to center and he got hurt against Melissa. Came back against Celina but has a scary injury history. Against Celina they lost their starting RT for what will probably be a month or so. Their LT (6'5" 260 Soph) and LG (6'1" 250 JR) have managed to stay healthy and have looked pretty good. The big senior center is a great OL when healthy. At RG and RT they are now having to play a senior that hasn't played football since Middle School and a JV callup.

-They are without their #1 WR until District play begins. He hasn't played this year and missed the first three games last year as well with a different injury. He had 4-5 100 yard games in the 7 he played last year.

-They do have some serious talent but a lot of skill guys have to play both ways some of the game. That will really hurt against a team like Gilmer that goes at such a fast pace.

-The RB is the best offensive player...and he came out of game twice against Celina with an injury. Not sure of his status. He's an explosive runner with very good speed.

-The QB situation is what has kept the offense from being productive thus far. They are playing two juniors equal time and neither has played well yet. Neither are runners and both have looked very average. This is especially hard to watch with last year's starting QB dominating for Argyle right down the road. He had to carry the team last year and unfortunately left without getting to play with this much more complete team.

The depth issue, injuries along OL and mostly the QB problem look like they'll be too much to overcome against Gilmer. Liberty physically dominated Celina's OL which took away the power run game that is Celina's staple offense. Against Gilmer, the pace of the offense and how quickly the ball is out could completely negate the DL. Combine that with several of the LBs and DBs having to play offense as well and I feel like Gilmer will get to 42. I don't see any way Liberty can put up that many points offensively with the QBs playing the way they have been.

Prediction: Gilmer 42 Liberty 28

Gilmer could blow it wide open if Liberty sustains anymore injuries to what is already a paper thin Warrior squad.

• Like 1

Warning: Long Post

-Liberty has two players on roster with D1 offers. One of their senior safeties, Grant Sawyer, is committed to Tulsa as an OLB. They also have a junior DE that has offers from Baylor and Oklahoma State as of now. He played his first football game against Melissa in game 1. He's all projection right now but did wreak havoc against Celina.

-They do have another senior safety that's a D1 athlete...but is committed to Auburn for baseball...not football.

-They have quality players elsewhere but not sure where the "4 D1 players" is coming from.

-This is a much improved team...especially defensively. They have a solid front 7 and the two senior safeties are very good. They also have a sophomore CB that looks like he will be a top notch DB one day.

-The OL is also vastly improved...but unfortunately banged up already. They lost their starting C (220 pound soph) and RG (285 pound senior) for the year during pre season. They moved another senior (6'3" 280) from his original starting spot to center and he got hurt against Melissa. Came back against Celina but has a scary injury history. Against Celina they lost their starting RT for what will probably be a month or so. Their LT (6'5" 260 Soph) and LG (6'1" 250 JR) have managed to stay healthy and have looked pretty good. The big senior center is a great OL when healthy. At RG and RT they are now having to play a senior that hasn't played football since Middle School and a JV callup.

-They are without their #1 WR until District play begins. He hasn't played this year and missed the first three games last year as well with a different injury. He had 4-5 100 yard games in the 7 he played last year.

-They do have some serious talent but a lot of skill guys have to play both ways some of the game. That will really hurt against a team like Gilmer that goes at such a fast pace.

-The RB is the best offensive player...and he came out of game twice against Celina with an injury. Not sure of his status. He's an explosive runner with very good speed.

-The QB situation is what has kept the offense from being productive thus far. They are playing two juniors equal time and neither has played well yet. Neither are runners and both have looked very average. This is especially hard to watch with last year's starting QB dominating for Argyle right down the road. He had to carry the team last year and unfortunately left without getting to play with this much more complete team.

The depth issue, injuries along OL and mostly the QB problem look like they'll be too much to overcome against Gilmer. Liberty physically dominated Celina's OL which took away the power run game that is Celina's staple offense. Against Gilmer, the pace of the offense and how quickly the ball is out could completely negate the DL. Combine that with several of the LBs and DBs having to play offense as well and I feel like Gilmer will get to 42. I don't see any way Liberty can put up that many points offensively with the QBs playing the way they have been.

Prediction: Gilmer 42 Liberty 28

Gilmer could blow it wide open if Liberty sustains anymore injuries to what is already a paper thin Warrior squad.

Great post

I hope so. Can't remember last time Gilmer's O was held to 28 points.

2015 quarterfinal game at Pine Tree Pirate Stadium: Gilmer 24, Atlanta 15

I'd say this team has a few more weapons than that one, though. No D1 players, though, that I know of, hard as that is to believe.

I started out conservatively/optimistically/hopeful calling for a 42-28 game with potential to get worse in Gilmer's favor.

Well if there was a line in HS football games...move this one waaaay further in Gilmer's favor.

Hearing some bad news for this week and beyond.

Gilmer 49

Liberty 14

I remember back about 7 or 8 yrs ago......whenever it was......that little ol' Argyle played Gilmer in the playoffs for the first time. Everybody on this board was sayin' how great Gilmer was and how they were gonna lay the mustard to the Argyllians. I know some of these same Gilmerites are still on this board and they remember well. And Gilmer DID have a very good team......but so did little ol' Argyle......and we know how that game turned out.......just sayin'. Nothing wrong with pulling for your beloved Boyz on the Gridiron of Glory, but as I recall.....Gilmer has had some troubles on the defensive side of the ball this season. And I seriously doubt they have faced a defense as good as Liberty Christian so far. I look for a very good ballgame here.......not a high scoring shootout. All in all, it should be a great predistrict game for both teams that will help both teams improve in areas of weakness. I'll take Gilmer in this one 35-21. I reckon Gilmer will start off the scoring and get a 2 touchdown lead before LC realizes how to contain them.......and those td's will be the winning margin.

Buckeyes decided to bring the Defense to Center Friday night & it showed. Center Offense didn't score on the Bux...Pick Six, Fields Goal, & Fumble Runback.

I started out conservatively/optimistically/hopeful calling for a 42-28 game with potential to get worse in Gilmer's favor.

Well if there was a line in HS football games...move this one waaaay further in Gilmer's favor.

Gilmer 49

Liberty 14

What happened

Gilmer 49

Liberty 14

Gotta be injury related.

The one thing that is guaranteed...we will be celebrating Homecoming @ Jeff Traylor Stadium...1st Home Game for the season. we will attempt to make it fast, real fast. We are small but quick...will probably not run the ball much...we don't have anyone that can scoot with it...will throw the ball up & hope someone will catch it...with a good defensive line, you might hold us to mid-20's.

Good luck & a safe trip. It just might be a long trip home.

Oh...and we have been known to play dirty ball...sick the skunks on ya or turn the lights out are two of the favorites...& we run around on defense and try to confuse you....& we are real loud & say ugly things about your momma

I jus hope we can be presentable...Go BUX

Well here's some BS math. Melissa scored 14 on LC, which in Gilmer math, that means that Gilmer should be able to score 415 points on LC. Gilmer has played Melissa 3 years in a row, and scores an average score approximately 29.67 times greather than Melissa's score. So by the math, I'd say it should be around 415-9, give or take a couple of points.

Haha all jokes aside, this could be a really good game. I don't really see it being a low scoring game though, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1