Week Four: Longview at Mesquite Horn

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (3-0) vs Mesquite Horn Jaguars (2-1)  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mesquite Horn in a close one
    • Mesquite Horn in a blow out

longview.pngmesquitehorn.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (3-0, 0-0) AT MESQUITE HORN JAGUARS (2-1, 0-0)

DATE: Friday, September 22nd, 2017
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 JACK FM
MESQUITE HORN BROADCAST: 88.5 FM KEOM

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 9-1-0 longview.png
The two schools have never played a non-district contest before
The Lobos have a 9-1 lead when the game is a district contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 5-0 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 3-1 lead when the game is played at Mesquite Horn.
Longview won the last 2 contests against the Jaguars.
Longview is 2-1 all-time against the Jaguars at E.H. Hanby Stadium, but Mesquite Horn won the last meeting there.
The two schools have never played on September 22nd before.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
09.16.2016 - Longview 47, Mesquite Horn 37 - Lobo Stadium
10.18.2013 - Longview 49, Mesquite Horn 30 - Lobo Stadium
10.19.2012 - Mesquite Horn 25, Longview 17 - E.H. Hanby Stadium
10.14.2011 - Longview 38, Mesquite Horn 30 - E.H. Hanby Stadium
12.04.2010 - Longview 28, Mesquite Horn 14 - Independence Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Coming Soon.

WEEK FOUR 11-6A SCHEDULE:
Mesquite Horn vs Longview (E.H. Hanby Stadium}
North Mesquite vs Mesquite (Mesquite Memorial Stadium)
Rockwall vs John Tyler (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium)
Tyler Lee vs Rockwall Heath (Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium)

WEEK THREE 11-6A RESULTS:
Longview 38 South Oak Cliff 7
John Tyler 34 Lufkin 44
Mesquite 0 Garland Sachse 61
Mesquite Horn 20 Cedar Hill 28
North Mesquite 49 Arlington Bowie 45
Rockwall 38 Southlake Carroll 52
Rockwall Heath 48 Irving MacArthur 9
Tyler Lee 41 Nacogdoches 19

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. Longview (3-0, 0-0)
2nd. Tyler Lee (3-0, 0-0)
3rd. John Tyler (2-1, 0-0)
4th. Mesquite Horn (2-1, 0-0)
5th. North Mesquite (2-1, 0-0)
6th. Rockwall Heath (2-1, 0-0)
7th. Mesquite (1-2, 0-0)
8th. Rockwall (1-2, 0-0)

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 3-0 (0-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (142-34 in 13 seasons) (Playoffs: 31-13)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 698-339-52 (Playoffs: 59-40-1)
Playoff Appearances: 42
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 6A Division II Bi-District Round
State Championships (1): 1937 (1A)
State Championship Appearances (4): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)
SCHEDULE:
09.01 - vs Lufkin - Win 35-16
09.08 - vs Marshall - Win 41-7
09.15 - vs South Oak Cliff - Win 38-7
09.22 - at Mesquite Horn
09.29 - vs Tyler Lee
10.06 - at Rockwall
10.20 - vs North Mesquite
10.27 - at John Tyler
11.03 - vs Rockwall Heath
11.10 - at Mesquite

MESQUITE HORN JAGUARS
Record: 2-1 (0-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: Mike Overton (35-15 in 5 seasons) (Playoffs: 3-4)
First Year of Football: 2002
All-Time Record: 83-86-0 (Playoffs: 7-9)
Playoff Appearances: 9
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 6A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships:
State Championship Appearances:
SCHEDULE:
08.31 - at McKinney Boyd - Win 52-34
09.09 - v. Dallas Skyline (Cotton Bowl) - Win 59-27
09.15 - at Cedar Hill - Loss 28-20
09.22 - vs Longview
09.29 - at Mesquite
10.06 - at Tyler Lee
10.20 - vs Rockwall
10.27 - at North Mesquite
11.03 - vs John Tyler
11.10 - at Rockwall Heath

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: September 22nd
In 1916, Longview traveled to Mineola for a 18-0 beatdown at the hands of the Yellowjackets.
In 1922, Geno McCreary tallied two touchdowns as the Lobos knocked off Pittsburg 13-6 at Fair Park.
In 1926, the Loboes traveled to Marshall and were handed a 46-0 defeat at the hands of the Mavericks.
In 1928, Sulphur Springs recorded their only win over Longview to date in 12-6 win.
In 1930, five different players tallied scores as the Loboes fell 31-0 to Marshall at Fair Park.
in 1939, Longview escaped Lobo Stadium with a 2-0 victory over Dallas Adams.
In 1944, Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson showed its might in a 41-0 beatdown of the Lobos at Yellowjacket Stadium.
In 1950, Sonny Jones ran in two touchdowns as the Lobos shutout Nacogdoches, 13-0.
In 1961, Shreveport Byrd ran all over the Lobos at State Fair Stadium in Shreveport in a 21-8 victory.
In 1967, the Lobos overcame a 13-10 halftime deficit to shutout Houston Smiley in the 2nd half in a 27-13 win at Jones-Cowart Stadium.
In 1972, Larry Harkless scored three touchdowns as the Lobos rolled up 415 yards rushing in a 38-25 victory over Dallas Hillcrest.
In 1978, George Leiato scored Killeen’s only offensive touchdown with 52 seconds left to bring the Kangaroos into a tie with the Lobos in a 13-13 draw. Field goal kicker, Benton Goodnight for Killeen, missed an extra point and a 46-yard field goal with 5 seconds left that would’ve given the Roos the victory.
In 1989, Earnest Hunter rushed for three touchdowns to start the game, before 4 other Lobos would tally as the Lobos destroyed Galveston Ball, 49-7, at Lobo Stadium. Longview totaled 498 total yards on the night.
In 1995, Isiah Stoker rushed for three touchdowns highlighted by a 60 yard run in the 3rd quarter as the Lobos knocked off Texas High at Grim Park, 29-12.
In 2000, LaRandall McKind and Joel Armstrong tallied for the Lobos as Longview fell at Lion Stadium in Monroe to the Ouachita Lions, 33-14.
In 2007, Johnny Garrett scored the game winning touchdowns before a national televised audience as the Lobos knocked off nationally ranked John Curtis, 24-20.

lobohowl2.GIF
  • Like 1

Taking off my homer shades and coming from the heart. The season JUST arrived but, we've already played 30% of the regular season games. What you see on the field is usually an indication of who we are as a team. Just being honest. I think this week against Horn, we (MIGHT) just get exposed and in the worst way possible.

Our secondary has gotten away with not just a few but a boatload of blown coverages and missed touchdowns by our opponents overthrowing their intended targets. I quite honestly don't think we're a very bad team but I don't think we're a very good one either. This past game against S.O.C. should have been over with by halftime and the subs should have been in come the third quarter of play. BUT, that's John King and he's a whole novel by himself to explain.

I am going to ATTEMPT to enjoy the season since they are already short to begin with and take forever to come back around. If I had one word or a short phrase to describe what we see right now from this team albeit they are 3-0, it would be:

FOOL'S GOLD.

• Like 1

What it really all boils down offensively to is QB play.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record Haynes King's talent is far superior to that of Jordan Lawson. It's an honest and undeniable assessment.

The offense does not have an identity. Couple that with the slew of injuries that have been sustained and you have the recipe for potential disaster by keeping Lawson as the starter.

Coach King is doing both the team and the better option at QB a huge disservice by NOT putting Haynes into the starters role.

It's really that simple !

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding like a broken record Haynes King's talent is far superior to that of Jordan Lawson. It's an honest and undeniable assessment.

The offense does not have an identity. Couple that with the slew of injuries that have been sustained and you have the recipe for potential disaster by keeping Lawson as the starter.

Coach King is doing both the team and the better option at QB a huge disservice by NOT putting Haynes into the starters role.

Hammer to nail.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yall think maybe king playing the other qb so people can see the disparity between thw three kids, so when he starts young king he won't catch flack?

If he's that worried about public perception, he shouldn't be our head coach to begin with.

Horn has a good running QB and secondary. Longview will take away Horns running game and Givens will have to prove that he can be accurate for us to have a chance. I think Longview will play ball control offense and rugged defense to win it late. I do think we have a punchers chance if Givens can be effective passing the ball. Somebody else on Horns offense is going to have to step up and perform.

Yall think maybe king playing the other qb so people can see the disparity between thw three kids, so when he starts young king he won't catch flack?

I say screw publics perception when the very same public complains about not putting the best players on the field!

If he's that worried about public perception, he shouldn't be our head coach to begin with.

Politics everywhere brother, gotta step easy sometimes or nepotism accusations will raise its ugly head. After all these years of coaching don't yall think he knows who the best qb is, he's been grooming him his entire life, kid knows the job and it's expectations. Jmo

No...I don't think that is why at all. It's excruciatingly obvious who the best QB is on the team and it shouldn't have taken three full football games to see it either.

Much like I wrote during the game last night... it's readily apparent that Coach King started and played Lawson at QB the entire first half as well as the initial series of the 3rd quarter of this game because he's a Senior and/or that "politics" were at play...as in the White Elephant in the room or a 900 lb gorilla as another poster opined !

Meanwhile, the "other" Senior (Carter) made a brief one or two play cameo appearance at QB early in the game then they shifted him to WR the remainder of the game...where he will excel, btw. Otherwise, Lawson was at the helm until he took a ferocious hit by a host of SOC defenders after tossing a short middle screen to Paul Hutchins who scored with great blocking and some nifty moves for the TD. Lawson was slow to get up on his feet as well as visibly shaken up after the play and never saw the field again.

IF Lawson is the starter next week, which unfortunately is what I'm projecting then one of the two reasons given above is why....NOT because he's the best option.

I hope I'm wrong because the Lobos AND Lobo Nation deserve the absolute best option at QB !

Amen, Brother!