Week 4 - Carthage @ Gilmer

PantherNation2015

Carthage vs Glimer  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

I am all for being as accommodating, polite and kind to our visiting teams and fans as humanly possible.

I do not want to be known for being difficult to deal with when playing at our own house, only difficult for opposing teams to deal with on the field!

There is such a thing as home field advantage in high school football, but I would not purposely build in advantages like keeping as many visiting fans away as possible or having the visiting locker rooms be cramped and hot or having terrible restroom facilities for fans of the other team.

I'd want people to look forward to attending a game at Carthage, and I believe they do.

There's no reason to make things hard on visitors. You don't do it to people when they come to your house.

This isn't college or pro football where you EXPECT as many home team fans in the stands as possible.

In high school you have two sides of the field and home fans don't typically sit on the visitor side.

I understand gamesmanship and I don't like it at any level.

Line up and beat somebody head up don't try to gain little advantages here and there by being punks; people will respect you more.

Do unto others as you'd have done to you.

Most of my post was a joke, but I still don't expect the visitor side of a high school stadium to be as nice or hold as many people as the home side. And I don't think the people of Gilmer did anything to intentionally limit our attendance. And I don't believe they should have done anything about Carthage folk standing in line.

I don't really see the point of complaining on how other schools set up their stadium. Why would you not give yourself the best chance to win? There's no rules on how it has to be done, to my knowledge. The stadium holds enough for the majority of their games. People aren't gonna go for a bond to expand the visitor's side to accommodate fans who come once every five years. I like the packed house. I like the atmosphere. Heck, I was thinking next home game, we put a Carthage section in the middle of the visitors stands and the bands on both ends!!!! Make it a pain for people to come to your house!

I just believe in being courteous and hospitable. As 'growlin alluded to, there are sides in HS football. Home and visitors. I noticed in pics that the Gilmer side didn't fill up near as fast as the Carthage side did. How would y'all have felt if you got to the game and found half the Carthage crowd sitting on your home side. You'd have prolly whined about it and wanted "your seat". Same with sticking your Home Band and drill team on the visitors side.

• Like 1

What you say makes perfect sense, but I would still like to see the school actually USE the property it owns at the old elementary. Moving the bus barn back there would making more parking closer to the stadium. They can also use the tennis courts, and the band's practice field at the front of the old vocational building (which they did use for this game) and pave it, moving the band's practice field to the old football practice field behind the stadium.

If it were me, I would change the complete layout of all the property the school owns. Gilmer does actually NEED a new high school, but I agree with you that they are pushing plans on us that we ain't willing to buy, especially at the money their robbing the taxpayers of. They had several million dollars left over from the last bond election that passed, and the citizenry had no input as to what they did with that money. The last bond election showed a cost per square foot almost double what the new high school at Spring Hill cost. WHY? That doesn't set right with me, or most of the citizenry of our fair district, and reeks of impropriety and irresponsibility.

Quick question... How much $$$ does tennis bring in to GHS??? Exactly! Take that net down & park cars on it for football games!😜

The difference in the game was the rb from carthage. Poppy Brown is a great qb. Maybe not as athletic as carthage but gilmer wr run better routes. Gunner Capps has a great arm and in week 10 will be as good as in qb in this area. Game got a little fast for him at times and he made mistakes (which everone does). But with the game on the line 28 rolled. He has 2 more gears than the average player. Gilmer zero run game.

Gilmer has a run game, just happens Carthage shut it down. Even with the loss to Carthage, they are still averaging close to 240 yds a game and a 7.3 yards per carry average. The passing game is averaging over 300 yards per game, so the offense is still averaging about 550 yards per game after the Carthage game. The offense is still there.

I was about to type the same thing. If Gilmer & PG continue winning and both stay in top 10 rankings in some of the polls, that game next month will be big and the PG crowd will be pretty big too. But I like the little nuances of playing on the road. Visitor locker rooms are always small, uncomfortable, and warm. Visitor stands and parking always a little tight. Home band on visitor side allows the home side to hear them better. I got no problem with that. Surratt always says if you are going to have a special season you have to learn to travel well and win on the road because to get that SC trophy you have to win six consecutive games on the road!

You have to win on the road if you want to be great.

In 2014 when we went 16 - 0 and won state we were Road Warriors. Out of the 16 games, we had 2, yes, only 2 home games!

We didn't play our first home game till the seventh week of the season during the Yamboree in the middle of October.

PG is the team I am really worried about in our district. They match up well with the offense they run and they are really talented. Will be a tough game for the Buckeyes.

this may be just me, but being in that LONG line of cars driving back home from Dallas after Winning a championship is very special!

I guarantee, it ain't just you that feels that way.

See y`all next year, hopefully in Gilmer or Carthage, and good luck with the rest of the season.

• Like 1

I just believe in being courteous and hospitable. As 'growlin alluded to, there are sides in HS football. Home and visitors. I noticed in pics that the Gilmer side didn't fill up near as fast as the Carthage side did. How would y'all have felt if you got to the game and found half the Carthage crowd sitting on your home side. You'd have prolly whined about it and wanted "your seat". Same with sticking your Home Band and drill team on the visitors side.

Man stop whining its overt if you want to be comfortable stay home and listen to the games on the radio

Sportsguru02, the radio station is a whole other can of worms for Carthage people.

A lot of the time KGAS won't have the Bulldogs on FM, but rather on their AM channel, if that.

KGAS will put a host of other local teams on instead of the hometown Bulldogs and it drives Carthage fans crazy.

It's a running joke that's not funny at all.

I was telling one of the sports writers "Gilmer needs a new HS bad" that thing looks like its seen better days

I know you are a relatively young man, MattStepp, but I will predict this will not happen in your actuarially-expected long lifetime to come.

IMO, it is more likely that Dan Patrick will be able to do away with the public schools and give everyone a voucher than it is that GISD will pass a bond issue.

What you say makes perfect sense, but I would still like to see the school actually USE the property it owns at the old elementary. Moving the bus barn back there would making more parking closer to the stadium. They can also use the tennis courts, and the band's practice field at the front of the old vocational building (which they did use for this game) and pave it, moving the band's practice field to the old football practice field behind the stadium.

If it were me, I would change the complete layout of all the property the school owns. Gilmer does actually NEED a new high school, but I agree with you that they are pushing plans on us that we ain't willing to buy, especially at the money their robbing the taxpayers of. They had several million dollars left over from the last bond election that passed, and the citizenry had no input as to what they did with that money. The last bond election showed a cost per square foot almost double what the new high school at Spring Hill cost. WHY? That doesn't set right with me, or most of the citizenry of our fair district, and reeks of impropriety and irresponsibility.

Amen to what you just said. talk like that will get a bond passed instead of saying just vote yes we will decide what yall need. Of course we are just a bunch of local idiots .

No I just don't want the opposing band sitting on my side. It's pretty simple. Be courteous and hospitable.

But ur the only one complaining the stands that the band is in is not connected to the visitors side its no different than Longview band on the visitors side at lease we dont sit out fans on the same side as well like Longview does

The only complaint I had, was that the Gilmer band wasn't moved. I was told that they moved bleachers in to the end of the field for the Gilmer band to sit on, so that it would free up more seats for Carthage side. They really needed it, and could have probably sold more tickets that way. But, it is what it is. Those of us that jumped on it early got tickets and witnessed a great ball game between 2 teams at the top of their game. It was great, just crowded... 2 hours before it started haha!

• Like 1

I can't believe there is still talk about the stadium for gosh sake. My seat was great. I liked it so much I'll sit in it again Friday night. As for the band.....they are right where they need to be.

What else are we going to talk about Jubilant? We beat the game recap to death on Sun and Mon. This was the friggin' Game of the Century per ETSN. LOL. Carthage is on their bye week this week. We are without a game to discuss. We can't talk about Henderson and their stadium until they finish playing C Hill. We will see if their off season improvements are worthy of mentioning. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

I can't believe there is still talk about the stadium for gosh sake. My seat was great. I liked it so much I'll sit in it again Friday night. As for the band.....they are right where they need to be.

I'm not saying they don't need to be there any other time. I'm just saying that as crowded as it was (which you obviously have no idea, as you were on Gilmer side), they should have freed up some more seating, and even sold a few more tickets by moving the Gilmer band to the end zone. If anything, it might have helped Gilmer get the edge because the band would be way louder on the field if the sound were traveling the length of the field rather than across it.

But it is what it is. It still wasn't bad, just crowded lol. Me and the people in front/around me became VERY acquainted LOL.