Week 4 - Carthage @ Gilmer

PantherNation2015

Carthage vs Glimer  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

JavelinRaider have you seen Carthage play. I find it hard to believe you have.

The best RB in the state.

Three of the best linebackers in 4A.

D line that has shut down the run and QB's run for their life.

Secondary with five or INT's in three games.

Jr. first year starter that is dropping dimes to three frisbee catching Dawgs.

O line that is is up holding the Dawg tradition of great blocking linemen.

What Carthage team have you been watching not to impress you.

They are averaging 44 points a game and that is pulling starters in the 3rd.

Big game? Yes huge

Rival? Not so much

There is probably 3 other games that are bigger rivals this year.

I guess rivalry is not the right word. For sure it's not a rivialry where there is a lot of history, and the teams and communities know each other well. More of a game between two programs that have a lot of respect for each other, and are probably the 2 best pound for pound programs in ETX.
  • Like 1

C&C and BB12,

Y'all know you can't please everyone. There will always be somebody that's not happy about something or is disappointed about something.

JavelinRaider may believe that CHS's average score per game of 44 points really isn't all that much and honestly, it isn't. However, when you throw in the asterisk that Surratt pulls starters in the 3rd quarter to get younger players game experience and to keep the score from getting out of hand you realize 44 is a good output.

Maybe JR just watched a replay of the 2004 USC Trojans donkey stomp OU in the Orange Bowl 55-19 and couldn't get that domination out of his mind before getting on this thread to post about Carthage.

Maybe he and Lion70 have formed a Henderson Lion fans' support group who gather here weekly to publicly criticize and discredit the Bulldogs. 😀

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and in this country, have the ability to voice their opinions freely.

In my opinion, the Bulldogs are an impressive team who've actually improved over last season when they won state; fingers crossed we win state this year.

call me crazy but I don't think this game will be as close as most are predicting, unless Gilmer defense has improved A LOT since they came to our place few weeks ago. Our receivers were constantly behind their secondary the entire game, and I know Carthage has the receiver personnel to do exactly the same thing. Carthage seems like the much better team to me as of right now... Gilmer's defense was average at best. It will be up to that superb offense they have to be able to score a lot of points on the carthage defense, and I can't see them scoring enough. It would have to be a shootout for Gilmer to win, I think.

call me crazy but I don't think this game will be as close as most are predicting, unless Gilmer defense has improved A LOT since they came to our place few weeks ago. Our receivers were constantly behind their secondary the entire game, and I know Carthage has the receiver personnel to do exactly the same thing. Carthage seems like the much better team to me as of right now... Gilmer's defense was average at best. It will be up to that superb offense they have to be able to score a lot of points on the carthage defense, and I can't see them scoring enough. It would have to be a shootout for Gilmer to win, I think.

That's most definitely a fair assessment. Gilmer's defense REALLY stunk it up in that first game of the season. It looks like they are getting things ironed out now, but I don't think they're anywhere near where they need to be, at least at this stage.

The offense hasn't really looked very polished, either. I just hope we play our best game of the season, by far, so we can have at least a chance in this one. IF our DEFENSE gets things ironed out, AND our offense gets their rhythm without all the turnovers and penalties, this will be a really good game. Otherwise, Carthage will make us pay big time.

You will be challenged Black Flag Defense! Show us some PRIDE!

1. That team south of Gilmer that wears black and orange also starts with a g also. That's about all the similarities though

2 Spring Hill

3 Pleasent Grove

If y'all were on the schedule y'all would be 2 or 3

Why in the world would Gilmer consider Spring Hill a rival...? I'm not trying to disrespect SH but their last season having a winning record in district play (and the season for that matter) was 10 years ago (2007)..... SH hasnt been relevant for a whole decade. I realize GW hasnt beaten Gilmer in a long time but they have a history of making playoffs and playing Gilmer close.... But SH? as a bigger rival than Carthage? I dont buy that for one second....

Why in the world would Gilmer consider Spring Hill a rival...? I'm not trying to disrespect SH but their last season having a winning record in district play (and the season for that matter) was 10 years ago (2007)..... SH hasnt been relevant for a whole decade. I realize GW hasnt beaten Gilmer in a long time but they have a history of making playoffs and playing Gilmer close.... But SH? as a bigger rival than Carthage? I dont buy that for one second....

#Psychological warfare... make your opponent believe your BS...🙄
  • Like 2

I kinda get what he is saying though. Carthage and Gilmer are not natural rivals. Carthage's natural rivals are Henderson and Kilgore. We all played together for years and their is a lot of history. There is only recent history between Carthage and Gilmer. But I also agree that there is no way Gilmer's fan base gets more satisfaction out of beating SH or PG over Carthage. GW I can see because it's almost like a cross town rivialry. In Carthage case I think there are 3 games that fans really want to win. Gilmer, Henderson, and Kilgore. This year I would take losses to Gilmer and Henderson if Carthage was able to beat Kilgore TBH. That's the one that I want to win as a fan. Gilmer is second, and then Hendo 3rd.

Maybe your right? When I think of rival. I think of those we would most hate to lose to,

To me, as a fan, our number 1 rival is definitely Gladewater. It used to be Gladewater, Daingerfield, and Tatum. Now that Daingerfield and Tatum are no longer on our schedule. I would pick Carthage as the number 2 team I would like to beat, and number 3 would be Pleasant Grove, and that is only a recent development.

I absolutely HATE to lose, no matter who it is against, so it kind of equals out in my mind. On Friday nights, the opponent across the field is who I want to beat, and it doesn't matter who they are.

To me, as a fan, our number 1 rival is definitely Gladewater. It used to be Gladewater, Daingerfield, and Tatum. Now that Daingerfield and Tatum are no longer on our schedule. I would pick Carthage as the number 2 team I would like to beat, and number 3 would be Pleasant Grove, and that is only a recent development.

I absolutely HATE to lose, no matter who it is against, so it kind of equals out in my mind. On Friday nights, the opponent across the field is who I want to beat, and it doesn't matter who they are.

If we gotta lose, I'd rather lose to Carthage than gWster sHill or pg. I respect Carthage and their program. Others not so much I'm sure each of us have an opinion and why. I will not hit the bottle if we lose to Carthage others I would. 😩

• Like 2

How many times have Gilmer and Carthage played? It's not many when you look at the history side. It's just that lately it has been some really big games between 2 big time programs. That doesn't make them a rivalry. Now if we can continue this game for a few years or we somehow get back n the same district, yea maybe I can see it happening.

If we gotta lose, I'd rather lose to Carthage than gWster sHill or pg. I respect Carthage and their program. Others not so much I'm sure each of us have an opinion and why. I will not hit the bottle if we lose to Carthage others I would.

I see what you're saying, and I agree that IF we "gotta lose", I would much rather it be a storied program such as Carthage than GladH2O, SH, or PG.

Who says we "gotta lose", though? :P

• Like 1

Gilmer barely beat an LE team that got drummed by Texas high. Texas high got beat by Arkansas high. Arkansas high got beat by PG...let all that sink in!!

Carthage by 28

not a very good theory with the fact that Carthage also struggled with us when we went to their place in week 2 lol.

to save y'all a click -->

The new rules are as follows:

1. All children must be with an adult. If they are left unattended, the police will keep them until school officials find the parent. Last week, GISD had a lot of kids in elementary and intermediate who were unattended and high school administrators had to babysit. This will not happen this week.

2. Gates will open at 5:00 p.m. The game starts at 7:00 p.m. Fans will not be allowed to arrive early and place blankets out to save seats. Please be respectful of others.

3. There will be no standing in the middle walkway. Everyone must be in a seat.

4. Only GHS students will be allowed in the student section. No one younger and no one from another school will be allowed.

5. Tickets go on sale Tuesday at the GISD Administration Building. Once pre-sale tickets are sold out, Gilmer will not sell anymore until game night. Once tickets are sold out at the game, and the Gilmer Fire Department says the stadium is at capacity, GISD will not let anyone else in.

They'll have fun trying to keep #1 from happening!