As far as the success (or lack of) of their program goes, it just doesn't appear to me that there is a whole lot of enthusiasm in the community for football. Maybe it's because they really want to be like Hudson, Central, and Central Heights, all 3A and 4A schools that don't play football. Many of the older folks in the community probably still talk about the days when they didn't play football. If they were squawking about not throwing the ball the last 3-4 years when they were running a system that actually worked, that's proof that they don't understand the game. I'm a firm believer in the idea that any good coaching staff can take any group of kids and work their system to fit the kids. I've seen coaches do this for years. I'm not knocking Coach Kerbow, but Huntington's kids do not look comfortable in the spread. It may be just a matter of them having to learn a whole new system with new formations and terminology. The timing on some plays just looks terrible. The jet sweep, for example: the WR needs to be running almost full speed when the QB hands him the ball. He doesn't have the timing down, and he's either having to slow down to get the ball, or the QB is holding it for half a count before the WR gets it. The whole time, the defense is catching up to it. But you're talking about kids who have never run anything but the double wing. It's not easy to switch. We're in our third year of Slot-T, and it's finally starting to look like it really should. You can't expect a coaching staff to just show up, wave a magic wand and transform your program. It takes time and patience.

I said before the season that them running that is a bad idea. Our playbook barely consisted of pass plays. We would practice a ton of plays in I-formation and some other pass plays that looked good but never did any in game.I remember when we were 3rd in 14 I believe and we did a QB keeper. As far as the town's support, not much is there. We have plenty people to cheer on but the school won't make announcements of the team's game or recap after a win(Not like it would happen much). It seems to be getting better with new, younger teachers doing more with the social pages and using the drone to make videos and such.

• Like 1

Talent pool has to be the main part of it. Nobody consistently gets their head beat in going 3-7 at best for 35 years and actually possess talent. I don't mean talented standouts, I mean all across the board decent talent. When teams a quarter of your size are beating you regularly....it isn't just one thing wrong though....it's a bunch of things wrong. Find a coach with good morals and philosophy and give him a decade to work with. 1 good season could change everything. How many talented bigger athletes have seen the writing on the wall and transferred before freshman year to a football school? I'm sure there has been plenty. You have to get a coach you can trust, and trust him. Like, 10 years trust him. A program that demoralized won't turn around in 2 or 3 years. Patients is a virtue when you're dealing with a team that has 38 wins in 35 years but they gotta let a coach control it for a longer period of time.

• Like 1

Never laid eyes on em, good eye candy?

Theyre all big. Backs looks athletic... idk man it's weird.

Ha Lambo, remember that movie, coach told that admin.. I run six plays, split back veer, it's like novacain, keep giving it to them and after awhile it starts working.. Hahahaha

It's true though! Hahaha

I know with winning comes support, but it was sad looking to see the lack of fans there, despite having close to 60 kids on varsity, not many people in the stands, we as often do outnumbered them

Yes I saw that too. When you factor in cheerleaders, dance line, band, and football team, it doesn't look like much more than 1 parent per participant. If people are really supporting their kids, there's no way you should be outnumbered by a school with 1/3 your enrollment.
  • Like 1

Yes I saw that too. When you factor in cheerleaders, dance line, band, and football team, it doesn't look like much more than 1 parent per participant. If people are really supporting their kids, there's no way you should be outnumbered by a school with 1/3 your enrollment.

That bad huh?

That bad huh?

It's a pretty sad sight. But hey, they're running an offense like you see on TV on Saturday, so those dozens of fans are happy. Doesn't matter that a team from a school with 1/3 their enrollment just played their worst game of the year and still beat them 47-0. "Pass the ball."

It's a pretty sad sight. But hey, they're running an offense like you see on TV on Saturday, so those dozens of fans are happy. Doesn't matter that a team from a school with 1/3 their enrollment just played their worst game of the year and still beat them 47-0. "Pass the ball."

I guess that's the difference... we want to win even if it means punting every play. This is just my opinion... If your not doing whatever you have to do to win every football game you play in, what are you even doing showing up to the game?

I guess that's the difference... we want to win even if it means punting every play. This is just my opinion... If your not doing whatever you have to do to win every football game you play in, what are you even doing showing up to the game?

I don't get why someone who knows that they don't match up athletically with their competitors thinks they can beat them by doing the same thing their opponents are doing. We've played 4 spread teams so far. In order of how well they executed the offense: Tenaha, Lovelady, Maud, Huntington. I would pick Maud over Huntington, simply because they run the system better. We may not match up with everyone we play, but we present a problem to them because we do something they don't see every week. Maybe Coach Kerbow can work the bugs out of his system before Huntington does their customary 2 years and you're gone deal.

Hard to say but probably a combination of factors. Kids come and go so there is no way Huntington is ALWAYS utterly devoid of talent...and with so many coaching changes I cant believe they have not had a decent coach or two come through there. The culture (as far as football is concerned) must be toxic. Makes me wonder...Jeff Traylor went something like 175-25 at Gilmer with 3 titles...but would he win at Huntington?

• Like 1

Huntington has had only two(that I remember)AD's that were head basketball coaches and that's including the current one which is doing an excellent job. I can assure you that the admin,AD, coaches and community wants to win at all sports.

35 years of football says your wrong.
  • Like 2

Hard to say but probably a combination of factors. Kids come and go so there is no way Huntington is ALWAYS utterly devoid of talent...and with so many coaching changes I cant believe they have not had a decent coach or two come through there. The culture (as far as football is concerned) must be toxic. Makes me wonder...Jeff Traylor went something like 175-25 at Gilmer with 3 titles...but would he win at Huntington?

There are a lot of other factors to consider. Would Traylor be allowed to hire his staff as he sees fit, or would so-and-so have to stay because he's someone's grandson? Would he be given total control of the program, including scheduling, building a weight room, implementation of an offseason program, etc.? Coaches like Traylor and Surratt don't do it on their own, and they don't let school board members dictate how they run their program. I'm not saying any of these are the reasons why Huntington is what they are, but they didn't get here by doing everything right.
  • Like 2

There are a lot of other factors to consider. Would Traylor be allowed to hire his staff as he sees fit, or would so-and-so have to stay because he's someone's grandson? Would he be given total control of the program, including scheduling, building a weight room, implementation of an offseason program, etc.? Coaches like Traylor and Surratt don't do it on their own, and they don't let school board members dictate how they run their program. I'm not saying any of these are the reasons why Huntington is what they are, but they didn't get here by doing everything right.

And thisnis why I call you a genius.
  • Like 1

That's been a question we've asked so many times, if a successful coach would change the program. I know most people weren't completely okay with having Huntington alumni being a coach because they thought, "If they never won, how would they be able to teach these kids to." Which I found a joke because I think having someone who witnessed it fit hand could really have the attitude to change things. I know Ryan Soderquist was a prime example but again, no more than 2 years but that was his decision, not the school boards, I believe.