I could be wrong on that theory and correct me if so, just my personal opinion.

I dont think you are wrong. I see that Huntington has had 13 head coaches in 35 seasons so some continuity in the coaching staff could only help. Henderson is certainly not an elite level program but the Lions have only had 8 losing seasons in the last 50 years. I dont think it is a coincidence that Phil Castles is only the sixth Hendo head coach during that 50 years. Regardless, the winning has to start some where and that is Huntingtons problem...how to start winning in the first place. Good luck to you guys.

The first steps in the direction of success are vision and continuity. If the administration, coaches and players are all on the same page with vision of what they want to build then there is a probability of success in the future. As long as the discipline is in place, the players are bought in, there is support for the coaching staff and the coaching staff is committed to building a first class program from top to bottom then the wins will come. However, it is not going to happen over night.

• Like 1

Henderson charged $5.00 each for their football programs.

Tatum only charged a $1.00 for their Football program in total color and 90+ pages.

Because ya'll were discussing football programs and had not mentioned the price of Huntington Football's program.

I thought it was something that should be addressed.

How much do they charge for the Huntington Football program?

Huntington has had only two(that I remember)AD's that were head basketball coaches and that's including the current one which is doing an excellent job. I can assure you that the admin,AD, coaches and community wants to win at all sports.

Nobody thinks almost being the fourth place team in a 5 team district is success.

• Like 1

My old coach always said "you have to teach losers how to win, and it takes a winner to do that". Then he would take his cigar out of his mouth, take his ballcap off and scratch his Flattop, shake his head and put his cigar back in his mouth, put his cap back on and tell everybody to line up and run 40's.. Always said it gave a man Time to contemplate his mistakes... We were well conditioned and were in touch with our inner soul.. Hahahaha

I have a theory on this. It is unproven, but I believe that when a coach comes into a high school with a losing tradition, he should get 6 years to right the ship. The reason being, football starts in 7th grade. You need time to do things your way from the ground up... and the ground is 7th grade. It takes time to take a losing program to a legitimate winner.

When was the last time Pine Tree had a head coach more than 4 years? From the looks of this thread, Huntington has never had it. You need to show dedication and commitment for a complete culture change in a program... and it starts with the youth. There are very few 1 year miracle workers out there in high school football.

• Like 2

I have a theory on this. It is unproven, but I believe that when a coach comes into a high school with a losing tradition, he should get 6 years to right the ship. The reason being, football starts in 7th grade. You need time to do things your way from the ground up... and the ground is 7th grade. It takes time to take a losing program to a legitimate winner.

When was the last time Pine Tree had a head coach more than 4 years? From the looks of this thread, Huntington has never had it. You need to show dedication and commitment for a complete culture change in a program... and it starts with the youth. There are very few 1 year miracle workers out there in high school football.

I'm not sure that all of the coaches that have been through there in the last ten years or so were forced out. I'm pretty certain the last two (Brian Gandy, Ryan Soderquist) left of their own accord. I'm not going to speculate on their reasons for leaving. But I agree with you. Hire a winner, pay him enough to keep him there, and give him time to get things headed in the right direction. I mean, at this point, what do they have to lose? They've never had a winning season. 2-8 next year would be an improvement. Kerbow might be the guy to do it, but not if he's gone after next year and they start over again.

I don't know how many coaches have been "run off" and how many have left on their own. I believe most left Huntington because they chose to. Everyone wants someone to stay and build a program but you have to find a coach who wants to stay and build a program. I am sure they all say they will stay around in the interview but after 2 to 3 years of losing they start looking for a way out.

Must coaches don't want a 5 to 7 year tradition of losing on their resume.

I think the majority of people on here, at least the ones with any sense at all, realize that the building of any winning program takes time.

And changing the "Culture" in Huntington may take more time than normal. If the coaching staff in place right now is given the time and resources needed then they will turn the corner and build something that the kids, parents, school and community can be proud of.

• Like 1

Henderson charged $5.00 each for their football programs.

Tatum only charged a $1.00 for their Football program in total color and 90+ pages.

Because ya'll were discussing football programs and had not mentioned the price of Huntington Football's program.

I thought it was something that should be addressed.

How much do they charge for the Huntington Football program?

They were $5, I passed on that

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

By far the BEST coaching staff in the history of Huntington football is on campus right now. Ask any coach who played them last season,  they we were well coached. This could be the year for them if everything falls right.

I'll see them in-person when they play Hamshire-Fannett. 

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

By far the BEST coaching staff in the history of Huntington football is on campus right now. Ask any coach who played them last season,  they we were well coached. This could be the year for them if everything falls right.

The year as in... 3-4 win season? Or 2-3 win season? I mean, a 4 win season would be their best season ever sooo....

Always a tough district as well....East Texas 2A-3A is toughest in the state.  They were in district with Crockett for years....Diboll, Rusk, Palestine, Corrigan possibly.....athletes everywhere.  They always played tough and did not seem to shy away from contact....you can't change schemes on kids every 2 years and expect them to be really good at it.

On 8/6/2018 at 4:03 PM, BabyGotDak said:

They are going to have a hard time this season by the look of their schedule. Looks like maybe two wins at most. I don't know man my heart aches for programs like this, I'll be rooting for them.

I will take the OVER on the 2 win prediction and i haven't even looked at their schedule. Just based on what I saw last year, this program is headed in the right direction. I wouldn't bet against a .500 record and a playoff berth.

I'd love to see where you see the .500 record at.... 5 wins on this schedule? Who?

@ Warren

Diboll

Brook Hill

@ Hamshire-Fannett

Livingston

@ Liberty

Jasper

@ Tarkington

Center

@ Shepherd

I would say they beat Warren, Tarkington and Shepherd is a toss up maybe?  Am I missing something?

4 hours ago, uniballer said:

I'd love to see where you see the .500 record at.... 5 wins on this schedule? Who?

@ Warren

Diboll

Brook Hill

@ Hamshire-Fannett

Livingston

@ Liberty

Jasper

@ Tarkington

Center

@ Shepherd

I would say they beat Warren, Tarkington and Shepherd is a toss up maybe?  Am I missing something?

Looking at the schedule for the first time, i would say Brook Hill is a toss up ,they have one player and one player does not make a team, Hamshire-Fannett has not been good lately and they have a new coach and a new system, and Livingston has been bad for a while and they have a new coach and a new system. Just an opinion and you never know till you tee it up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, uniballer said:

@ Warren

Diboll

Brook Hill

@ Hamshire-Fannett

Livingston

@ Liberty

Jasper

@ Tarkington

Center

@ Shepherd

Huntington may be on the rise (and I hope they are) but there still have a ton to prove. I could see them beating Warren and Maybe Tarkington, but Shepherd has beaten them 55-20 last year and 55-0 the year before, so I just can see them making up that much so soon. I hope they turn it around and start winning some games. Lord knows they have the size over there, they just need more speed.

It sounds as if Huntington doesn't have a weight room (or adequate weight room) or an athletic period. That equates to lack of interest and support by the community. I have friends from Huntington and the only time I have ever heard them mention sports was when they talked about Huntington winning in state in basketball back in the 50's.

It would take a majority of strong board members, the superintendent and H. S. principal and a very focused and charismatic coach three years to turn it around.  I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

In four decades the board hasn’t came through. I would be hard to find an administrator who would base their future on that program and you couldn’t hire the coach if the first two wasn’t in place.