1 hour ago, Hlion said:

Well too be fair y'all were always competitive . 4-6 wasn't a successful season heck 5-5 wasn't either.

And he took us from competitive to champs.  Thats the point, at the high school level good coaching can make all the difference.  If you want to go from the celler to at least be competiive, hire and good coach and yes, give them time to right the ship.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:31 PM, DAWG91 said:

Fwiw Carthage had exactly zero state titles prior to surratt's arrival.  A decade later we have 6.  Is coaching important?  You betcha!  And in high school, its the most important factor imo.  Just my .02

Coaching is indeed important, but so are those super fast, athletic black kids and big, strong white kids that y’all get on a year to year basis. Take those away, and Surratt doesn’t mean anything.

• LOL! 1
  • Stinks 3

3 hours ago, UnclePigg said:

Coaching is indeed important, but so are those super fast, athletic black kids and big, strong white kids that y’all get on a year to year basis. Take those away, and Surratt doesn’t mean anything.

Surratt has had one super fast football player at Carthage. 

9 hours ago, UnclePigg said:

Yeah because you NEVER see fast white kids or big, strong black kids. 

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

Then why bother saying it? Those are 1970s stereotypes that need to go the way of bell bottom jeans. 

Just bringing light to the fact that even tho Coach Surratt is an incredible coach, Carthage’s incredible athletes help just a bit too. That  incredible combo results in lots of wins. And I disagree with your stereotype comment..it shows how young you are as bell bottoms made a strong comeback in the early to mid 90’s. 

• LOL! 1

57 minutes ago, UnclePigg said:

Just bringing light to the fact that even tho Coach Surratt is an incredible coach, Carthage’s incredible athletes help just a bit too. That  incredible combo results in lots of wins. And I disagree with your stereotype comment..it shows how young you are as bell bottoms made a strong comeback in the early to mid 90’s. 

Lmao you right though they did make a comeback, I seen it in school. 

7 hours ago, UnclePigg said:

There you go making assumptions again. Just because bell bottoms made a comeback doesn’t mean they didn’t look stupid. Just like your generalization that all fast, athletic kids are black and all big strong kids are black. Try turning on the TV on Saturday once in a while. 

Apples and Oranges ....

The way I got it figured, success is a whole lot about timing and fit …

to get all the tumblers in the universe to fall into place you need both talent and trainers ...

It takes two to tango and win a dance contest … or at a poker table.

Like they say, no matter how well you train a jackass, he'll never win the Kentucky Derby …

and you can take the fastest horse in the world and he won't either if he's destined to be

given to an old farmer who puts him with  a harness and plow ...

Bad poker player with a bad hand ….

Good poker player with a bad hand …

Bad poker player with a good hand …

Good poker player with a good hand …

Who wins the pot?

Being an old coach who has seen the relative rise and fall of a good many programs,

what I admire about Surratt and the big red C the most is consistency year-end and year-out …

The greatest enemy of prolonged success is complacency and the “ME” syndrome, with the

later taking the greatest toll … the cancer that spreads through an organization when individual

cogs in the machine start believing that all this success is only because of “ME” ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

There you go making assumptions again. Just because bell bottoms made a comeback doesn’t mean they didn’t look stupid. Just like your generalization that all fast, athletic kids are black and all big strong kids are black. Try turning on the TV on Saturday once in a while. 

Just because y’all are short on black kids and intelligence in the trailer infested town of Joaquin(I promise that’s not an assumption because I’ve been to Joaquin) you don’t have to be jealous.

4 minutes ago, UnclePigg said:

Just because y’all are short on black kids and intelligence in the trailer infested town of Joaquin(I promise that’s not an assumption because I’ve been to Joaquin) you don’t have to be jealous.

Yep, got our fair share of manufactured housing over here for sure. Also had a 4x100 relay team that would blow your closed mind wide open, not to mention a state championship power lifter that could literally crush your outdated stereotypes. But, hey, don’t let me ruin your day. Tie dyes are on sale at Walmart, so you better get in line. 

• LOL! 1

On 8/11/2018 at 12:32 PM, UnclePigg said:

We have ALWAYS had those "super fast, athletic black kids and big strong white kids," yet we had exactly 0 titles until surratt's arrival which supports my assertion that coaching, especially at the high school level, may be the most important determining factor of success or failure.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Yep, got our fair share of manufactured housing over here for sure. Also had a 4x100 relay team that would blow your closed mind wide open, not to mention a state championship power lifter that could literally crush your outdated stereotypes. But, hey, don’t let me ruin your day. Tie dyes are on sale at Walmart, so you better get in line. 

I saw the relay team and they had some hot wheels for sure.  I’m still wondering what’s the problem with mfg housing?  Before we moved up here in the snow covered area of Evadale, there was a mfg house down the block from us that was one of the finest looking homes and yard you’d ever want to see.  Mfg homes are like most homes.  Take care of it.  Keep the yard looking good.  I don’t have a problem.  

6 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I saw the relay team and they had some hot wheels for sure.  I’m still wondering what’s the problem with mfg housing?  Before we moved up here in the snow covered area of Evadale, there was a mfg house down the block from us that was one of the finest looking homes and yard you’d ever want to see.  Mfg homes are like most homes.  Take care of it.  Keep the yard looking good.  I don’t have a problem.  

I don’t know if you’ve ever noticed, but UnclePigg is one of those posters who rarely has anything good to say about anyone. Due to the fact that she has never declared her allegiance to a certain program and instead seems content to just run down kids, coaches and communities, it’s difficult to pin down exactly where she lives. My hunch is that she resides in some upscale locale like Rusk or Sabine, where the meth manufacturers operate out of nice, tidy brick homes with manicured lawns. But I digress. To be fair, there are neighborhoods here in the Greater Joaquin Metroplex that a tornado could hit and do a couple hundred thousand dollars in improvements. But being the world traveler I am, (I’ve been to Oklahoma and New Mexico) every region has those. I’m sure UnclePigg lives in a mansion that would make President Trump jealous, where her gardener is a “big, strong, Mexican boy” and her pool guy is a “super fast, athletic black kid”. I feel sorry for them. 

• LOL! 1

On 8/9/2018 at 4:31 PM, DAWG91 said:

Fwiw Carthage had exactly zero state titles prior to surratt's arrival.  A decade later we have 6.  Is coaching important?  You betcha!  And in high school, its the most important factor imo.  Just my .02

Surratt also increased community support in the program before the winning started.

Watching games, and talking to community members in Huntington, they are insistent that the coach stay with a spread offense and throw the ball every down. When some of the their teams are full of kids that need to be running the ball from tight formations and play good defense. Sitting in the stands during a close game listening to the fans yell at the coach to throw the ball when the QB hasn't completed a pass and they are getting 5 yards a carry. The game was close at the time and running was the right way to stay in that particular game(this was a few years and a couple of coaches ago). They seem to be the fan base that would prefer wide open and get blown out .vs conservative and staying in the games and giving the kids a chance to make plays. Huntington has some athletes but at this point half don't play football anymore because of how poor the program has been for so long.

50 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Surratt also increased community support in the program before the winning started.

Watching games, and talking to community members in Huntington, they are insistent that the coach stay with a spread offense and throw the ball every down. When some of the their teams are full of kids that need to be running the ball from tight formations and play good defense. Sitting in the stands during a close game listening to the fans yell at the coach to throw the ball when the QB hasn't completed a pass and they are getting 5 yards a carry. The game was close at the time and running was the right way to stay in that particular game(this was a few years and a couple of coaches ago). They seem to be the fan base that would prefer wide open and get blown out .vs conservative and staying in the games and giving the kids a chance to make plays. Huntington has some athletes but at this point half don't play football anymore because of how poor the program has been for so long.

You pretty much summed it up right there.