LETS HAVE SOME FUN WITH THE DISTRICT OF DOOM!

blesseddaily

Everybody is 0-0, we have gotten to see our teams play several games so lets see who can pick the correct order of finish for the top four teams in the district! For me it is pretty obvious at this point who is the "big dog" of the district...the rest? I think it comes down to who plays well on a given night, injuries, and of course, coaching. Here's my guess!!

1. Carthage

2. Henderson

3. Kilgore

4. Chapel Hill

One bad night can completely wreck a district order, as well as some rivalry match ups. Obviously I would pick Carthage as the top dawg, but in the past, the Carthage bulldogs have had a let down game and that has thrown a monkey wrench into district picks, persay. But I don't think this is the average Carthage team, above average defense for this time of year and a lot of room to improve, offense that is finding its groove earlier than normal, and a qb that's just now coming into his own. Kilgore is the stalking tiger to the north that's explosive when the keg is lit, and I think the coach is holding the match rite now and gonna turn it out. Chapel hill is still the uncertain, even as they look to move their game back into the limelight, you get the feel that they are coming and coming hard. HENDERSON, if they can sharpen the steel of their younger players, a district rivalry could be the upset of the district cart this year, bit alas, I think they may be a year away from taking this district again.. Just my assessment..

• Like 2

One bad night can completely wreck a district order, as well as some rivalry match ups. Obviously I would pick Carthage as the top dawg, but in the past, the Carthage bulldogs have had a let down game and that has thrown a monkey wrench into district picks, persay. But I don't think this is the average Carthage team, above average defense for this time of year and a lot of room to improve, offense that is finding its groove earlier than normal, and a qb that's just now coming into his own. Kilgore is the stalking tiger to the north that's explosive when the keg is lit, and I think the coach is holding the match rite now and gonna turn it out. Chapel hill is still the uncertain, even as they look to move their game back into the limelight, you get the feel that they are coming and coming hard. HENDERSON, if they can sharpen the steel of their younger players, a district rivalry could be the upset of the district cart this year, bit alas, I think they may be a year away from taking this district again.. Just my assessment..

I think this is right on the money!

Don't worry about 'lil 'ol Beckville.... Our manager, who signed up to play so we would have 11 kids on the team, has almost got it down where he hardly ever bobbles the holds for the extra points....if we could only get him to catch the football like he does the water bottles.

It's hard to get a read on these teams from top to bottom. Here is what they have done so far, in the order of current maxpreps rankings. Keep in mind the ranking number means nothing and is not divided by class, so it's compared to every team in the state, which is hardly accurate.

Carthage (State Rank - 16)

(W) Gladewater - 49-7

(W) Liberty-Eylau - 48-38

(W) Whitehouse - 42-20

(W) Gilmer - 48-28

Henderson (State Rank - 126)

(W) Atlanta - 36-0

(W) Tatum - 21-20

(W) Pittsburg - 35-21

(W) Pine Tree - 39-17

Chapel Hill (State Rank - 188)

(W) Wills Point - 48-37

(L) Whitehouse - 28-14

(W) Tatum - 38-14

(W) Gladewater - 24-7

Kilgore (State Rank - 206)

(W) Nacogdoches - 35-21

(W) Gladewater - 33-21

(W) Pine Tree - 64-28

(L) Texas High - 44-41(OT)

Palestine (State Rank - 404)

(W) Mabank - 57-20

(W) Jacksonville - 31-26

(L) Fairfield - 34-6

(L) Van - 49-28

Center (State Rank - 665)

(L) Rusk - 48-21

(L) Gilmer - 56-17

(L) Gladewater - 17-3

(L) Diboll - 45-42

Bullard (State Rank - 692)

(L) Malakoff - 48-34

(L) Groesbeck - 24-21

(L) Brownsboro - 49-35

(W) Commerce - 44-24

Most folks are going to pick a combination of Carthage, Chapel Hill, Henderson, & Kilgore in various orders for the playoff spots and then a comination Bullard, Center, & Palestine in the bottom three spots. Based on current record it looks as if Center & Bullard are on red alert.

Center has 4 losses to 4AD2 schools, which doesn't mean a whole lot, except that they have yet to build the confidence from a win. One of those losses comes from Gladewater, which Carthage, Chapel Hill, and Kilgore have all faced and defeated. Again, this doesn't mean a whole lot, but it doesn't paint a promissing picture for Center.

Bullard is in a similar boat as Center. They have 2 losses to 3AD1 schools, 1 loss to 4AD1 Brownsboro, and their only win to a 3AD1 Commerce. It's only normal to question how well this schedule actually prepared them for district play.

Either Bullard or Center will walk away from Friday night 1-0 in district play, and there is a good chance that will be the only win for that team.

Based on record I would put Palestine above Center and Bullard. Palestine beat Mabank, which is a 4AD1 school. Palestine also beat Jacksonville, a 5A school that has beat Hallsville, Mt. Pleasant, and Pine Tree. The Jacksonville win should have built up some confidence for Palestine. The loss to Van is not a deal breaker for me, beacuse they are an undefeated 4aD1 team. The loss to Fairfield, a 4AD2 school that lost to Rusk is a question mark for me. Friday night Palestine will take on Kilgore, and we will all know more about both team after that game.

Kilgore has played a respectable pre-district beating 2 5A schools, and losing in overtime to another. The win over Gladewater was by the least margin (12 point) of the three D9 teams that have faced them so far and beaten them, but that really doesn't mean much when you consider the type of team Gladewater is.

Friday night will give a better picture for how good Kilgore really is, and how much a dark horse Palestine really is.

Henderson has a perfect record, but it has come at the expense of teams that are not quite D9 caliber. Tatum is probably the best team they have faced, and they won by 1 point. The good news for Henderson is they are undefeated and confidence has to be high, the bad news is they are about to play some tougher competition, and a loss at some point is probably going to happen, maybe Friday night and the next two after that. How these kids respond the next three weeks will be key to their success, beacuse it's about to get tough. Did I mention it's going to be a tough 3 weeks.

Chapel Hill was on a lot of folks dark horse lists prior to the season. They have a better record already than their previous season and tied their record already from 2015, so I'm sure confidence is high. Chapel Hill's only loss came from Whitehouse, which seems to have become an annual tradition. Chapel Hill is in the same boat as Henderson, their wins no dout built confidence, but things are about to get real with Henderson adn Kilgore in back to back weeks. The only thing that make things easier for Chapel Hill is they don't have to face Carthage until the final game of the season, so they will have three weeks of winable games before taking on their toughest opponent.

Friday night we will know a lot more about both Chapel Hill and Henderson.

Carthage is the obvious favorite and for good reason. They have an exceptional program that reloads well year to year. They have come away undefeated to four teams that will all make the playoffs in their district and they have a bye week this week. After the bye week they will play back to back games against two of the three most likely contenders and then they will have a similar three week schedule to that of Chapel Hill prior to finishing off the regular season against Chapel Hill. Carthage will be on the top of the polls until they finally lose one day, and then they will be the pick to jump back up on top, and I don't see this changing for many years. Hats of to a powerhouse program.

Aside from all this speculation, take notice of the top 5 teams overall win-loss record in this district 16-4, and the PF-PA of those same 5 teams so far 737-480.

• Like 1

One thing yall are missing with Palestine is its loaded with sophomores all over the field. These kids are really talented and are just getting used to playing on the Varsity level. Sophomore QB and RB. Next year will be Palestine year. Unless they just keep getting better and get the 3rd or 4th seed, and start clicking when playoffs come around. All those sophomore played together last year on freshman squad. Went 9-1 and only lost the one because a few of there main guys were hurt. I don't think they lost in Jr high. Very good group..

One thing yall are missing with Palestine is its loaded with sophomores all over the field. These kids are really talented and are just getting used to playing on the Varsity level. Sophomore QB and RB. Next year will be Palestine year. Unless they just keep getting better and get the 3rd or 4th seed, and start clicking when playoffs come around.

I don't disagree with you. But other teams are playing Soph's also. Carthage has 8 on the varsity roster this year and all are getting playing time with 5 starting.

I don't disagree with you. But other teams are playing Soph's also. Carthage has 8 on the varsity roster this year and all are getting playing time with 5 starting.

I understand stand that but yall are Carthage and have a tradition and it never drops off.. Totally different for Palestine..