East Texas 5A/6A Football

easttexaschamp

Is it me or is East Texas 5A/6A football really really bad right now. Barring a few exceptions, I'm not seeing good football being played between any of these teams right now. Between District 16-17 5A especially. Nobody really knows who is going to make the playoffs, not because they are all really good. It's because they aren't good at all. Not good football games across the board.

5A is really, really down

I agree with you Matt, especially if you exclude Ennis and Corsicana which are NOT East Texas schools.

But, i think Marshall can carry the 5A East Texas banner if they continue the trend they are on right now.

Whithouse, Nac and Jacksonville have got to improve drastically or Lufkin/JT have to drop for 5A Eas Texas to return.

This year is the worst Nac team you will see for the next 3-4 years. We are currently mainly Sophomores and Juniors with a very very good freshman team on the way and both 8th grade teams are strong.

If Nac can stay in 5a div 2 next year and keep all their player eligible we could see Nac win a district title over the next 3-4 years

I agree with you Matt, especially if you exclude Ennis and Corsicana which are NOT East Texas schools.

But, i think Marshall can carry the 5A East Texas banner if they continue the trend they are on right now.

Whithouse, Nac and Jacksonville have got to improve drastically or Lufkin/JT have to drop for 5A Eas Texas to return.

Marshalls improvement is based off playing said teams in their poor district.

No one in either 5A district will make it past the first round. And if Lufkin makes it to round 1, one of the three 6A schools in East Texas will be out then too for sure.

It is what it is at this point. I dont understand how the 5A schools have gotten so bad personally. But its all happening at one time and its frankly embarrassing.

Too bad all of the great college players come from 5A and 6A. :rofl:

If you dont get the sarcasm of this, please refer to the REd River Shootout thread in the college forums

No one in either 5A district will make it past the first round. And if Lufkin makes it to round 1, one of the three 6A schools in East Texas will be out then too for sure.

It is what it is at this point. I dont understand how the 5A schools have gotten so bad personally. But its all happening at one time and its frankly embarrassing.

Luckily there are 4 weeks left to improve

As Marshalls sophomore qb grows up and gets better(as we are seeing) so does the entire team. Non district Mavs had NO offense to help win games. The D kept games close. I think by District end you will see the mavs peaking. The coaching staff is too good not to be. It wasnt very realistic for mavs to be clicking early with entire new staff and a 14 yr old at qb.

I agree. If we would have started the season playing at the level we are at now i believe the only loss would have been Longview. With every week of improvement i am becoming more optimistic about possible playoff success. I dont neccessarily agree with the lesser competition comment as in my opinion Texas High would beat or compete with Lee, Shadow Creek and Corsicana.

Marshall will have a shot if they keep improving.

East Texas 5A's are at a disadvantage come playoff time now because there is not a split. The majority of East Texas 5A's are small school 5A programs.

I can't speak for the other teams in our district..... and what the root of their struggles are/were.....

But I can EASILY tell you why Marshall struggled early... QB. The end. Period.

There isn't a single level of football that would normally see their team flourish under their third string QB. Some have all but declared their seasons dead with just a backup (Florida State, Green Bay). And those are #2's. Try a #3!!!

We lost our senior QB in college station at the 7 on 7 championships to a career ending knee injury.

We lost our back-up after the Tyler Lee game.

Enter a 14 year old sophomore to take over (he won the district championship as a freshman last year). He learned some hard hard lessons early on. And he's turning into an outstanding leader. He's going to be special. There is a CHANCE he will end up with the all time passing record for a regular season for MHS. As a SOPHOMORE.... and with only 9 starts. Will have to see how the final 3 weeks shake out.

TBH.... if we hadn't lost our #1 QB..... I think Marshall would be sitting at (6-1) right now. Our offense REALLY struggled early on without him. As I think most any team would with a third string QB playing. Longview was the only game we had zero chance of winning.

I honestly don't think we would have lost to Lee, Shadow creek, or Corsicana with Hunter Harrington under center. We nearly (and SHOULD have) beaten them all with back up QBs. The QB of the Lee game was his first game in a Marshall uniform at all (from Monroe).

But injuries are part of the game.... and we had to move forward without them. No excuses. We're (3-4) right now. Can't change that fact.

I DO agree 5A is REALLY down right now. No one can deny that. But until the playoffs, we can't say how much. Texas High will likely be 7-3 when the playoffs start, Marshall will likely be 6-4, Greenville will likely be 7-3. No idea who #4 will be....but they will probably have a losing season. There are districts with more than one team in the playoffs with losing records. We were one of them (MP and SS).

But I think things will trend up. Texas High and Marshall I think will continue to trend up with their new staffs. Maybe PT is finally improving..... who knows. We've all been waiting on that to happen for years. Same for Greenville. MP, SS, seem to be floating along a bit; wouldn't be shocked to see (another change) at MP........and I'm shocked at Hallsville this year TBH.

Gonna enjoy whatever is left of this season....be it 4 more games or more. We shall see. No doubt we will be underdogs to West Mesquite if we stay on the path we are one. Same if we face Highland Park. Texas High same.....reverse the teams. Doubt anyone in Div II will be favored in their games. But stranger things have happened.

The South district..... can't really say... haven't seen much of them. But overall their seem as down as our district is. I've only seen Corsicana.... and they weren't anything "special". Ennis has pedigree. Jax and WH don't seem to have anything that will make any playoff noise yet. Lindale.... don't know much about them.... and Nac just seems awful this season.

Good luck to everyone the rest of the way.

Work on creating some upsets in the first round. It happens every season. Why not us?

Marshall will have a shot if they keep improving.

East Texas 5A's are at a disadvantage come playoff time now because there is not a split. The majority of East Texas 5A's are small school 5A programs.

It's a factor for sure.

West Mesquite will likely have about 6-700 more students than us in the first round; maybe closer to 800 more depending on numbers. I hear they could be 6A next year. WIll be even more of a difference if we ended up playing HP.

Same story as us facing Wylie East did last season. Much larger than Marshall.

Same as Frisco Lone Star in 2015.

Same as Wylie in 2013.

It's a trend we've had for the last 5 years in the playoffs. Almost all of our opponents have been been significantly larger. We are (0-3) in those games.

Nac, Lindale, and South Oak cliff are the exceptions.... we are (3-1) in those playoff games. So there's something to ponder.

Lone Star in 2015 probably wasn't that much larger than Marshall....they turned in 1244 for the realignment in 2014...I know Frisco ISD had redrawn the attendance zones but I think they still had a smaller group of seniors....

The split divisions will help a ton next year but I'll be surprised if anyone in 5A in East Texas wins a first round game...

Thought they were 1800ish in 2015. Could be wrong.

I welcome the split divisions. May not affect next season much... but long term could be a good thing.

No one had us going three rounds deep in 2015. Time to surprise some again. Be it in 2016 or 2017. Or both. 😜

Lone Star turned in 1722 last realignment....that number would have been taken in Oct 2015....Frisco ISD redrew attendance lines I believe in for the 2014-2015 school year...so Lone Star grew based on larger freshman and sophomore classes but their junior and senior classes were relatively small and more reflective of the 1244 number turned in Oct 2013....Lone Star today is probably running close to 2k if not slightly over because they have four full classes based on new attendance zones...

I DO agree 5A is REALLY down right now. No one can deny that. But until the playoffs, we can't say how much.

I disagree.

We can say how much simply based off the ongoing trend dating back to at least 2014.

Of course JT had some solid teams in these last four teams. Longview has had one. But besides that, 5A and 6A have been an utter joke from East Texas.

I view Marshall right now the same way I viewed Texas High as they ended their regular season 10-0 last season. Mav fans have every right to believe they would be 6-1 right now based off their QB play currently. But still, those games you lost were all games we already expected you to win before the season started. And the Metroplex district that you're going to face in round 1 is just a much, much better district overall right now, that for anyone to believe their team is going to win one is just denying what we've seen the last four years. I'd love nothing more than to be wrong but 5A is just crazy down right now and we can all clearly see how much.

I do agree that certain teams are trending upwards. But we're talking about right now, and right now it's painfully obvious things aren't where they need to be across our region as a whole.

It's really a bad situation for us in 6a cuss eventually a east tx school will beat the other out most likely first round and then gets tougher from there and lee just can't win so lp Longview and jt beat each other up and then we go face some Dallas school or Houston school and get out coached but not out played i believe our schools have some real good players

then we go face some Dallas school or Houston school and get out coached but not out played

I don't know about that.

Just looking at last season....

Longview fumbled going into the end zone, before giving up the game winning score. We lost because our players weren't as good as Beaumont's and they made more mistakes than the Bruins.

John Tyler lost 56-14. They got more than out played in every facet of the game.

Is what it is at this point. Both teams have players, both teams have above average coaching (most weeks). They just haven't performed when it comes to facing the top teams in whichever class.