Gilmer at Gladewater

blackflag79

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins, and by how much?

• Gilmer in a close one
    • Gilmer in a blowout
    • Gladewater in a close one
    • Gladewater in a blowout

Gilmer needs defensive help. I dont know why they dont play Ward at defensive end. He only has 4 possessions on offense b/c Webb is the better running back. He could contribute on the defense. Olivares could also help on defense. They need some bigger bodies on the defense, and they only stick them on offense.

yea ya'lls defens jus plain ###..

Gilmer needs defensive help. I dont know why they dont play Ward at defensive end. He only has 4 possessions on offense b/c Webb is the better running back. He could contribute on the defense. Olivares could also help on defense. They need some bigger bodies on the defense, and they only stick them on offense.

Gilmer needs defensive help. I dont know why they dont play Ward at defensive end. He only has 4 possessions on offense b/c Webb is the better running back. He could contribute on the defense. Olivares could also help on defense. They need some bigger bodies on the defense, and they only stick them on offen

They bad,,they real bad..

Webb and Ward are our backs, but Ward does need to play more D-Line. He is a wrecking ball when we put him in on defense.

Bears are better than their record. Davis is a great player and a class act. Saw him talking and having fun with Gilmer players after the game.

Davis is a great kid. Great attitude.

You cannot blame the players for this defense.....the buck stops with the Defensive cordinator, have to say this could be the worst defense in the modern era of the Buckeyes....nothing against the Bears..like everyone says you are better than your record, the Davis kid is the real deal...watched your offensive line just anialate our dline, take them five yards deep everytime...good luck to you guys the rest of the way!

• Like 1

I was actually proud of Gilmers crowd last night. I think we had more there than our last two home games. As for Gladewater, it looked like there folks loaded up and went to the Yamboree.

I wasn't surprised at Gladewater's crowd, but I was surprised at Gilmer's. Never seen a Buckeye crowd that small. Yes, they filled up the visitor's side but it's not that big. I expected to see Buckeye fans on the grassy knolls.

I wasn't surprised at Gladewater's crowd, but I was surprised at Gilmer's. Never seen a Buckeye crowd that small. Yes, they filled up the visitor's side but it's not that big. I expected to see Buckeye fans on the grassy knolls.

I've had to sit on that hill on the scoreboard end of the stadium a number of times in the past. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this stadium renovated in the early - mid 1980's? Needs a little updating in the visitors restrooms, but it is a real nice stadium.

I've had to sit on that hill on the scoreboard end of the stadium a number of times in the past. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this stadium renovated in the early - mid 1980's? Needs a little updating in the visitors restrooms, but it is a real nice stadium.

No it was built in the mid 80's. only updates I can remember are the new scoreboard and some handicap parking.

Yeah, I meant built not renovated, thanks for the correction. Your gym was built at the same time wasn't it.

I like the scoreboard.

Yes

I agree that we need some renovations done especially since it's been 30+ years since it was built, but not sure any bond issue would pass. Not sure how much people care about this town, much less the schools.

Yes

I agree that we need some renovations done especially since it's been 30+ years since it was built, but not sure any bond issue would pass. Not sure how much people care about this town, much less the schools.

That's too bad. The Murph doesn't need much work, just a little freshening up and y`all would be good to go for another couple of decades before anything else needed to be done.

• Like 1

You cannot blame the players for this defense.....the buck stops with the Defensive cordinator, have to say this could be the worst defense in the modern era of the Buckeyes....nothing against the Bears..like everyone says you are better than your record, the Davis kid is the real deal...watched your offensive line just anialate our dline, take them five yards deep everytime...good luck to you guys the rest of the way!

I agree we have some good defensive players but how many years are we going to have to endure the black sag defense. We need some new blood brought in to help our defense out it seems we get weaker every year. I wish we could get a defense like our offense we could win state every year. Not knocking our coach now but we need a change fast.

The problem is that we have been able to jump on teams and score so fast that we made teams one dimensional that we were able to hide that our defensive coordinator only had one scheme but now that we dont have the D1 players on defense it is showing that we have gotten out schemed dang near every game we played and in the past Traylor held his coaches accountable but with Turner he doesnt have that mean streak in him but how much longer are you gonna put up with giving up dang near 40 points a game before u say hey look whatever ur doing isnt working we cant keep running a 3-4 defense and u have no size on the dline and ur LBs are not very good

Thats the reason some didnt go. Grassy knolls get uncomfortable

Thats the reason some didnt go. Grassy knolls get uncomfortable

That's understandable but it definitely wouldn't keep me away. Definitely not disrespecting your fans. In fairness y'all bring more than most teams

On another note, I did enjoy the play by play radio guys. Much more respectful than some other team's people we have had in the press box this year.

Congrats to Gilmer on yet another win in this series.... What hurt GW was the fumble on the kickoff, and two roughing the passer penalty's, one that happend on a 3rd & 10 incomplete pass in the second qtr that could of changed the momentum and got the GW defense off the field. It was mistake, but these are kids and mistakes happen. Gilmer offense is good, obviously, BUT come playoff time, I'm not sure its good enough to make up for their defensive issues. #7 is a fast kid and #24 runs like marshawn lynch, I wouldn't complain about who is getting the ball, they are both effective. QB is also a good runner and if his WR are open he seems to make the throws (most look pre-determined but i'm sure that's the offensive philosophy). For GW they need to build on the performance and take it to ATL next week. Just because you can get up and play with Gilmer doesn't mean squat if you lay an egg this week or next. Also I will note it was refreshing to see some creative play calling on the offense for GW. Still ran the ball at will and averaged 6.2 yards per carry. But also was 6-11 passing for 113 yards. By my tally and I'm sure Golfingnut has a little different the stats were as such:

Gilmer team:
Rush 32 carriers 223 yards
Pass 10-18 148 yards passing

GW Team
54 rushes 340 yards
6-11 passing 113 yards

I've been biting my tongue for several years now, but, YES, it's time for a new DEFENSE in Gilmer. I'm with the many others that have said it on here in that we've been able to cover up the fact that we've had a suspect defense for many years with a whole lot of D1 players that made plays, and an offense that is almost unstoppable. Now that there's fewer D1 players, the weaknesses in our defensive scheme are glaring enough that anybody can see that it's definitely time. I've always said that even when we were getting deep in the playoffs, and winning state championships, we never really had a really good defense. I've always thought that if we had a better defensive scheme we would also have more championships. If it wasn't for our extremely good offense, we would be a middle of the pack average team.

On another note, I was surprised that we even filled up the visitors' side in Gladewater. Most of our fans can see what is happening, and there seems to be a lot of denial of the obvious. This was the first time I've been to Jack Murphy Bear Stadium since the new scoreboard was installed. I kept looking to the north for the score, but the scoreboard is on the south end now. I never knew they put in a video scoreboard until Friday night.

I've always thought Gladewater had a really nice stadium. They should add some seating on the knolls, spruce up the bathrooms, and improve the sound system. It would be a premier playoff venue for East Texas.

• Like 1

I've been biting my tongue for several years now, but, YES, it's time for a new DEFENSE in Gilmer. I'm with the many others that have said it on here in that we've been able to cover up the fact that we've had a suspect defense for many years with a whole lot of D1 players that made plays, and an offense that is almost unstoppable. Now that there's fewer D1 players, the weaknesses in our defensive scheme are glaring enough that anybody can see that it's definitely time. I've always said that even when we were getting deep in the playoffs, and winning state championships, we never really had a really good defense. I've always thought that if we had a better defensive scheme we would also have more championships. If it wasn't for our extremely good offense, we would be a middle of the pack average team.

On another note, I was surprised that we even filled up the visitors' side in Gladewater. Most of our fans can see what is happening, and there seems to be a lot of denial of the obvious. This was the first time I've been to Jack Murphy Bear Stadium since the new scoreboard was installed. I kept looking to the north for the score, but the scoreboard is on the south end now. I never knew they put in a video scoreboard until Friday night.

I've always thought Gladewater had a really nice stadium. They should add some seating on the knolls, spruce up the bathrooms, and improve the sound system. It would be a premier playoff venue for East Texas.

I was having this conversation with another person about their team (not Gladewater or Gilmer). My question to you is, do you think that because of the appeal of the high powered offenses today, that many teams have gotten ok with their defense being "just good enough"? Seems like there are a lot of teams that because they win by scoring more than other teams that they believe they have a great defense. Of all the high powered offenses today, the Buckeye fans, at least, show that they aren't happy with being just good enough. No team should be happy with it, and like I told this person, being good enough doesn't make you a great defense. Maybe it's because so much time is being spent on scoring and not as much on defense. Plus, more teams are putting their best players on the offensive side despite it hurting their defense.

I don't know Blackflag, but it's good to see there are still fans not happy with the status quo. Friday night the Buckeyes offensively played a perfect game. Gladewater even played a near perfect game offensively. Defensively, both teams were lacking. I can't imagine how good many teams could be if they had better defenses.

I would love to see us spruce up our stadium. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if a bond would pass. At the time the stadium was built, it was by far one of the best in East Texas, but with playing teams that have huge fan appeal like Gilmer, Carthage, Lindale and Kilgore, the stadium isn't big enough for the visitors. Nor are the facilities adequate. That being said, I don't see that changing anytime soon. If indeed we move down in classification, as it has been rumored, then we probably won't be getting the 4A DI or 5A schools here. It's sad we are losing families, but that is a whole different issue that doesn't belong in this thread. I'm not sure there is a thread for city politics.

Exactly, Golfingnut! If DEFENSE was stressed more, even at the expense of some offense, I would be much more confident. If we had half as good of a defense as we do an offense, we would be talking about a possible state championship EVERY year, not just those years when we have D1 talent all over the field. Look at what West Orange-Stark does year in and year out with their defense with maybe one or two D1 level players. Yes, they are in a weak region overall, but even when they play teams outside their region they still have a really good defense. Imagine if Gilmer had that kind of a defense along with the offense they currently have.

I have always loved a good defense. It is completely frustrating to watch when your defense can't stop anybody. A team that can get stops on a regular basis is the kind of team that will win more championships, provided they have an offense that is good enough to put points on the board.

I am not a fair weather fan, never have been, but I am always leaving Buckeye games completely frustrated by our lack of the ability to get stops. It has progressively gotten worse as the years have gone by, and the aforementioned reason is the only reason we have had the success we've had over the years. I think it's high time for a major defensive change in Gilmer.

• Like 1

That's understandable but it definitely wouldn't keep me away. Definitely not disrespecting your fans. In fairness y'all bring more than most teams

Gilmer had that Lil thing called Yamboree going on. There were a few folks there 😜

On another note, I did enjoy the play by play radio guys. Much more respectful than some other team's people we have had in the press box this year.

Exactly, Golfingnut! If DEFENSE was stressed more, even at the expense of some offense, I would be much more confident. If we had half as good of a defense as we do an offense, we would be talking about a possible state championship EVERY year, not just those years when we have D1 talent all over the field. Look at what West Orange-Stark does year in and year out with their defense with maybe one or two D1 level players. Yes, they are in a weak region overall, but even when they play teams outside their region they still have a really good defense. Imagine if Gilmer had that kind of a defense along with the offense they currently have.

I have always loved a good defense. It is completely frustrating to watch when your defense can't stop anybody. A team that can get stops on a regular basis is the kind of team that will win more championships, provided they have an offense that is good enough to put points on the board.

I am not a fair weather fan, never have been, but I am always leaving Buckeye games completely frustrated by our lack of the ability to get stops. It has progressively gotten worse as the years have gone by, and the aforementioned reason is the only reason we have had the success we've had over the years. I think it's high time for a major defensive change in Gilmer.

Im ok with giving up 30 if we score 60

Im not ok with giving up 39 if we are only gonna score 49