Spring Hill @ Gilmer

CutBlock

Gilmer getting pressure on the QB wait thats defense isnt it? Oh well we can out score them pretty sure of that.Maybe santa will bring us a new defensive coach that knows how to adjust to different type of offensives.

Hahaha hey we are the only team that plays the same defense no matter what the other team is running lol no scheming at all

Gilmer's defense actually played worse against Gladewater than PG. They might have played their best game of the year against Carthage (disregard the score). They have regressed in the 3 games since then. Home field advantage hasn't helped, since both of their losses were at home, and the defense struggled mightily against Nac.

Any team that has a potent offense is a threat to Gilmer. Gilmer beat Gladewater because they scored on every possession and Gladewater muffed a kickoff.

At some point, I think Gilmer should adopt the Shiloh philosophy and just onside kick it every time. Their offense is great, their defense isn't. So if they have 3 more possessions than they other team, they should win. right now their best chance of creating more possessions is to onside kick after every single touchdown.

Hoping Gilmer's defense figures something out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/08/13/the-highly-successful-high-school-coach-who-never-punts-has-another-radical-idea/?utm_term=.f7a5974f0552

i watched them beat highland park 2 years ago...broke a crazy win streak...never punts or kicks off....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/08/13/the-highly-successful-high-school-coach-who-never-punts-has-another-radical-idea/?utm_term=.f7a5974f0552

i watched them beat highland park 2 years ago...broke a crazy win streak...never punts or kicks off....

Yeah, that coach is out there. I like him. Trying things that have never been done.

I don't know about the never punting thing for Gilmer, but out kicker is so good with on-side kicks, it might be something they should look at if not this year, then maybe next year. The defense is so bad and the offense is so good this year, I think it could actually benefit the Buckeyes in some games for us.

When you are trading TD's with a team like PG or Gladewater, if you don't get the ball it shortens the field and reduces the amount of time they run off the clock.

I don't think the Buckeyes are not going to on-side kick every kick-off this year or next, but it's a interesting idea.

Yeah, that coach is out there. I like him. Trying things that have never been done.

I don't know about the never punting thing for Gilmer, but out kicker is so good with on-side kicks, it might be something they should look at if not this year, then maybe next year. The defense is so bad and the offense is so good this year, I think it could actually benefit the Buckeyes in some games for us.

When you are trading TD's with a team like PG or Gladewater, if you don't get the ball it shortens the field and reduces the amount of time they run off the clock.

I don't think the Buckeyes are not going to on-side kick every kick-off this year or next, but it's a interesting idea.

Really??? No team should resort to that kind of football. For pete's sake, get a defense! Gilmer is too good to just come up with ways to get around playing good defense.That is not, nor ever been the Buckeye way!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

Really??? No team should resort to that kind of football. For pete's sake, get a defense! Gilmer is too good to just come up with ways to get around playing good defense.That is not, nor ever been the Buckeye way!!!

I couldn't agree more.  No excuse for not having players in position to make plays.  Missed plays will happen no matter who it is, but not having them in position is on the coaches.  A simple run off tackle should not be a big gainer on every play.  Our opponents have alarming conversion rates on 3rd and long, and 4th and long.  My guess would be in the over 80% range.  I'm no statistician, but that is terrible.  Something definitely has to change.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

it isnt about not having a good defense..they stopped highland park plenty of times in that game...its about playing to your strength and the odd being in your favor to win...odds are 70% of the time you recover a onsides kick and puts your team in a better postion to win a game..even if you have a slow scoring offense like gladwaters or any running team,,,,,

18 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

Yes, Gilmer should play better defense.  But just think of the Gilmer / Gladewater game.  Gilmer won because 1) Gladewater muffed a kickoff, which gave Gilmer an extra possession Gladewater didn't have, and 2) Gladewater settled for a field goal instead of trying to score a touchdown.  That's 10 points, which is exactly the difference in the game.

If our team has 9 possessions, and scores TDs on 8 of them, and your team has 6 possessions, our team is going to win every time, regardless of what you do with those 6 possessions.  So, from that point of view, the team that maximizes the number of possessions has a better chance of winning.  We preach that the team that wins the turnover battle usually wins games.  Well a recovered onside kick is the same a gaining a turnover.

This is not an excuse not to play defense, but a realistic look at Gilmer's strengths and weaknesses.  If at the end of December Gilmer fans have a choice between saying, "Our Defense never came around, but we were still able to win state!" or saying, "We got knocked out in the 3rd round, but at least our defense started playing better!" I'm sure they would choose the first statement.  Now you might argue if Gilmer's defense played better they might win state anyway.  And that might be true.  But if kicking an onside kick every possession maximizes our chances of winning a game, I'm all for it.

Why not just play better defensively?  That way you're not put in a position where your offense has to score every time it touches the ball.  A team that can get stops against us will beat us, because we can't stop them.  It's really simple.  Just play better on that side of the ball and the rest will take care of itself.  It's been that way for years, though, but as I've always said through the years..., the team that can hold us under 40 points has a REALLY good chance at beating us.  That's just sad, because I KNOW we can do better than that.

• Like 1

Ok the Elephant in the room has been pointed out, Yes Gilmer we have no defense. Yes Gilmer we have to outscore everybody. now the big question is are we going to do anything about it or just go into next year and hope it gets better,  because the last few years have been going downhill quickly. I hate that as I am a Buckeye through and through and bleed orange, but I also can see that.... have I mentioned that we have no defense. Somebody print this out and give it to coach Turner please. 

28 minutes ago, oldbuckeye#62 said:

Ok the Elephant in the room has been pointed out, Yes Gilmer we have no defense. Yes Gilmer we have to outscore everybody. now the big question is are we going to do anything about it or just go into next year and hope it gets better,  because the last few years have been going downhill quickly. I hate that as I am a Buckeye through and through and bleed orange, but I also can see that.... have I mentioned that we have no defense. Somebody print this out and give it to coach Turner please. 

I feel almost certain he's aware of the problem. He's probably aware of what's being posted on here too. You'd be surprised at the people that look at this but never say anything. 

20 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

I agree with you, but It has been tough watching the Buckeye defense this year. I hope they fix the problem this year, but it's getting late in the season to be fixing things.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

That's all Tatum does is onside kicks.

I totally understand playing to your strengths and doing what you have to do in the moment to win a game, but it's sick to see teams and fans being ok with being "just good enough" to win. And then being ok with your answer to the problem being to kick onside kicks every time. That even sounds ridiculous! What happens when your kick fails and you put your defense in an even worse situation, giving your opponent a short field? 

You cant tell me, as good as your offense is, that you don't have talent, & kids willing to be better on the defensive side of the ball. For Pete's sake, you are Gilmer!!! Buckeyes kick onside kicks when they are up 50 points, not when they can't play defense. 

4 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Yes, Gilmer should play better defense.  But just think of the Gilmer / Gladewater game.  Gilmer won because 1) Gladewater muffed a kickoff, which gave Gilmer an extra possession Gladewater didn't have, and 2) Gladewater settled for a field goal instead of trying to score a touchdown.  That's 10 points, which is exactly the difference in the game.

Yes, that's true, but the Bears needed points. You kick the FG, take the 3 & try the onside kick to get the ball back. If you go for it on 4th down and don't get it, not only do you give the ball up but you don't have those 3 points. 

If our team has 9 possessions, and scores TDs on 8 of them, and your team has 6 possessions, our team is going to win every time, regardless of what you do with those 6 possessions.  So, from that point of view, the team that maximizes the number of possessions has a better chance of winning.  We preach that the team that wins the turnover battle usually wins games.  Well a recovered onside kick is the same a gaining a turnover.

This is not an excuse not to play defense, but a realistic look at Gilmer's strengths and weaknesses.  If at the end of December Gilmer fans have a choice between saying, "Our Defense never came around, but we were still able to win state!" or saying, "We got knocked out in the 3rd round, but at least our defense started playing better!" I'm sure they would choose the first statement.  Now you might argue if Gilmer's defense played better they might win state anyway.  And that might be true.  But if kicking an onside kick every possession maximizes our chances of winning a game, I'm all for it.

Bottom line is if you always kick onside kicks after scoring you are pretty much telling your defense they aren't any good. Plus if they never get on the field they will never get better. You can't rely on facing teams each week that can't stop your offense. 

9 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

I totally understand playing to your strengths and doing what you have to do in the moment to win a game, but it's sick to see teams and fans being ok with being "just good enough" to win. And then being ok with your answer to the problem being to kick onside kicks every time. That even sounds ridiculous! What happens when your kick fails and you put your defense in an even worse situation, giving your opponent a short field? 

You cant tell me, as good as your offense is, that you don't have talent, & kids willing to be better on the defensive side of the ball. For Pete's sake, you are Gilmer!!! Buckeyes kick onside kicks when they are up 50 points, not when they can't play defense. 

Agree with you, which I usually do.

That coach in Arkansas is a weird guy, but I like him for having a very different view of high school football. What he does would not work anywhere but high school and probably would not work anywhere other than a state where the private schools are better than the public schools.  Still an interesting philosophy and game plan.

That being said, I stated that I like the idea of onside kicks for teams with a grind it out offense  like Gladewater and PG, not every game. Gilmer always has trouble against teams like this. I know we will never do that, I just entertained the idea.  The idea being that since the defense is so bad, either you get the kick or you shorten the field and save time off the clock if they score. Our kicker is fantastic when doing onside kicks, and we usually either get them or have a real good shot at them.

Just an interesting idea and discussion that will never happen no matter what.

If weather is good Friday, I look for Gilmer to have to outscore Spring Hill to win. Sad but true.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I feel almost certain he's aware of the problem. He's probably aware of what's being posted on here too. You'd be surprised at the people that look at this but never say anything. 

Yes, it's pretty obvious Coach Turner is "aware" of the problem, but this staff has been together forever.  It's a very hard decision to let a friend go, or even demote them, but sometimes you have to understand what your job is.  I'd hate to be in his shoes, but I would do what is necessary to ensure my young men have the best opportunity to win.  Of course, I'm pretty sure there would be some resistance to that change in admin, so there's that.

If they do read this stuff, I would say to him to do what has to be done to give your young men the best opportunity to win.  It's obvious what's happening now on that side of the ball isn't working, and hasn't for many years, regardless of the success the team has had.  The success was because of offense, and actual D1 talent on defense that covered up a lot of schematic problems.  This is a problem that must be addressed immediately, and that starts this week.  It should've been addressed a long time ago, but the past is the past.  I've bit my tongue long enough.  I've been seeing problems for a decade and a half, though a lot of it was covered up with D1 talent and an outstanding offense.

You is so right i would not even be upset if we scrapped the defense scheme and started over right now. Will it cost us a game I doubt it we are that weak on defense. I think it would only help us out and confuse the other team. At least we could look foward to better things the lack of not stopping the other team will bite us in the playoffs if not before. We could be undefeated right now if we could stop someone, sometimes, anytime.

22 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

Yes, it's pretty obvious Coach Turner is "aware" of the problem, but this staff has been together forever.  It's a very hard decision to let a friend go, or even demote them, but sometimes you have to understand what your job is.  I'd hate to be in his shoes, but I would do what is necessary to ensure my young men have the best opportunity to win.  Of course, I'm pretty sure there would be some resistance to that change in admin, so there's that.

If they do read this stuff, I would say to him to do what has to be done to give your young men the best opportunity to win.  It's obvious what's happening now on that side of the ball isn't working, and hasn't for many years, regardless of the success the team has had.  The success was because of offense, and actual D1 talent on defense that covered up a lot of schematic problems.  This is a problem that must be addressed immediately, and that starts this week.  It should've been addressed a long time ago, but the past is the past.  I've bit my tongue long enough.  I've been seeing problems for a decade and a half, though a lot of it was covered up with D1 talent and an outstanding offense.

Nah give it a couple of weeks. Couple of weeks couldn't hurt LOL.

Let’s not forget, SH’s defense is just as poor as Gilmer’s, especially the pass defense. Gilmer’s offense is more potent imo. SH just doesn’t have enough guys in the secondary that can cover Gilmer’s wideouts, especially when they go to a 5 receiver set. Pittsburg’s fast pace gave SH fits at times last week, so that will definitely have an effect this week. Interesting to see how that will effect SH defense. Looking for the Panthers to come out running, to try and and control the clock and keep Gilmer’s offense on the sideline. The Buckeye defense will HAVE to step up this week and show they can get penetration and make some plays, especially the linebackers. Controlling #18 on BOTH sides of the ball will be key! I think it may come down to turnovers and penalties, SH has shot themselves in the foot lately with penalties. I think Gilmer wins by a couple of touchdowns.

36 minutes ago, DWH73 said:

Gilmer needs to play the players best suited for the defensive positions, even if they have to play both ways.  Playing the whole roster is not working.  Field your best team...

But Gilmer's strength has always been their depth....