Spring Hill @ Gilmer

CutBlock

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Not unless they get another move in like stoker because was the offense 

THats the damn truth my understanding they had another move in not sure what #.but # 22 could play decent also. QB was not even average in my opinion. 

I mean If this was a typical Gilmer team I would say sh is really good but this is not your typical Gilmer team  

Much more disciplined team than what I seen last year. Played hard but no cheap shots etc. 

1 hour ago, CasualObserver70 said:

I am looking for the appropriate word for Gilmer’s defense. Nonexistent? Abysmal? I just can’t think of any words that appropriately describe it.  Don’t misunderstand, Spring Hill played a great game and has a very good offense.  But Gilmer can’t tackle. They get blown off the line of scrimmage. Ward comes in and makes 2-3 big plays and they pull him out. I don’t understand. Linebackers are too close to the line of scrimmage and get caught up in the trash of the play. It’s just hard to watch and getting worse. 

Offensively,  Gilmer dropped a lot of passes in the first half. Kids  better get used to playing and catching  in cold weather. And I don’t know where the offense would be without Webb. 

Gilmer is undersized  on the defensive Side, but that’s been the case most years. They have used quickness to get into the backfield  and make disruptive plays.   This year, I just seem to be getting blown off the ball. And then when they are in position to make a play, they don’t make it. 

A win is a win, and this keeps them in position to finish second in the district. But honestly, I see no way they can make me a very for playoff run without some kind of defensive improvement

Agree with your observations.

Especially about Ward. Why he does not play most of the game on defense I have no clue. This seems to be the trend of our coaches with a player like Ward since Jeff left in 2014.

Our coaching turnover since 2014 is really catching up with us. Hope they get it together in the next couple of years.

Thank God Bran moved back from Aledo. Imagine what we would have if we had Jase McClellan move back to Gilmer from Aledo also.

Oh well, offense is very good, the defense is even worse, something has to change.

My thoughts:

1. Buckeyes had no answer for Stoker #18 for Spring Hill. (Few teams, if any, have though).

2. Buckeyes had way to many silly penalties, especially the 3 personal fouls.

3. As bad as Gilmer’s run defense was, their pass defense seemed worse. DB’s  we’re constantly beat, and they never turned around for the ball. Very lucky several of the passes were off the mark.

4. Gilmer’s defense is bad, but not the worst, even in district. There are some really good offenses in the district, but I’d be concerned because it appears the Buckeye defense is getting worse as the season goes on. Very luck the offense bailed them out again, that SH fumble at the 1 was huge. I’d make the team carry a white flag out until they learned to play defense.

5. I agree, if the defense doesn’t get figured out and they step up, going to be a short lived playoff run.

8 hours ago, Maineman1988 said:

THats the damn truth my understanding they had another move in not sure what #.but # 22 could play decent also. QB was not even average in my opinion. 

I mean If this was a typical Gilmer team I would say sh is really good but this is not your typical Gilmer team  

Much more disciplined team than what I seen last year. Played hard but no cheap shots etc. 

All offense and no defense isn't a typical Gilmer team?

Tough crowd.

The teams that beat y'all are a combined 16-0..

Wish we had that problem.

After watching the game again, Gilmer is really struggling in the Red Zone. Could of had 11 more points in the first half if they were just able to convert from 1st and goal from the 5. 

I know Gilmer has only lost twice, and both teams that beat them are undefeated and state ranked. But they don’t execute well. Right now I don’t “Trust the Process”

3 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

All offense and no defense isn't a typical Gilmer team?

Tough crowd.

The teams that beat y'all are a combined 16-0..

Wish we had that problem.

Good point!  I think we usually have a better defense than what Ive seen this year. You right the 2 teams that beat us are #1 in their divisions. But we almost got beat by sh, come on that’s not the typical Gilmer team. Yes sh is not their typical team either but they are 0-3 in District. #18 is a great player, 

8 minutes ago, Maineman1988 said:

Good point!  I think we usually have a better defense than what Ive seen this year. You right the 2 teams that beat us are #1 in their divisions. But we almost got beat by sh, come on that’s not the typical Gilmer team. Yes sh is not their typical team either but they are 0-3 in District. #18 is a great player, 

On the flip side, this ain't your typical SH team.

0-3 in district by what? Six points?

They are a playoff team in most DII districts and possibly a district champ in a bunch..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

On the flip side, this ain't your typical SH team.

0-3 in district by what? Six points?

They are a playoff team in most DII districts and possibly a district champ in a bunch..

Best Spring Hill team I've seen in 10+ years.  These heartbreaking losses have me just sick. I've been waiting too long for a team like this, for them to come so close and fall short. 

Knowing most of these kids, what they have been through, and how hard they work makes the victories sweeter and losses more painful.

2 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

After watching the game again, Gilmer is really struggling in the Red Zone. Could of had 11 more points in the first half if they were just able to convert from 1st and goal from the 5. 

I know Gilmer has only lost twice, and both teams that beat them are undefeated and state ranked. But they don’t execute well. Right now I don’t “Trust the Process”

I always enjoy your post, and you give factual info without too much homerism. But I never seen you this down on the Buckeyes. Coming from you I have to believe there are some problems with Gilmer. Everybody knew it wasn't going to take long for the program to take a small step back after losing JT. That would be like Carthage losing Surratt. I think the program is strong enough to keep winning, but executing at the highest level like Gilmer fans are used to seeing ain't gonna happen when you lose the guy. But you can still have a very successful program. Gilmer will be ok.

So much Grief about this defense but 5 Dbs who signed 2 D1 1 D2 and 2 D3. Two DL 1 D1 and 1 D2 as well as 20plus all district and 10 all East Tx in just the last 2 years ... Buckeyes are thin on depth and ... talent and yet these coaches have a 6-2 record against 2 undefeated teams. As a wise man once told me 'Enjoy the journey'

22 hours ago, metalhead10 said:

Gilmer defense has regressed every game since the end of the third quarter against Carthage. Pathetic coaching.

#18 for Spring Hill is a stud. I think he played every play on offense and defense. Great player.  Where did he come from?

He was a starting LB at John Tyler last yr. He also got several touches at RB too. He was a big loss.

3 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

He was a starting LB at John Tyler last yr. He also got several touches at RB too. He was a big loss.

I didn't know about him coming to Spring Hill, but watching them warm up, I knew he was a player. Fantastic athlete. Spring Hill Is  lucky to have him. Like I said, I think he played most of the snaps for Spring Hill on both sides of the ball.

Big, tough, kid.

No one from Pittsburg or other places that have given up huge amounts of points to Spring Hill have got on here and ridiculed their coaches.  Gilmer folks better watch it or these coaches we got might leave.  I know you think everyone would want to come coach at Gilmer, but they might not , with a bunch of thankless, critical, fair weather fans.  Maybe you critics can take over and become our new coaching staff you seem to know it all.

7 hours ago, BuckNut said:

No one from Pittsburg or other places that have given up huge amounts of points to Spring Hill have got on here and ridiculed their coaches.  Gilmer folks better watch it or these coaches we got might leave.  I know you think everyone would want to come coach at Gilmer, but they might not , with a bunch of thankless, critical, fair weather fans.  Maybe you critics can take over and become our new coaching staff you seem to know it all.

Are you aware that you are a part of a forum?  Forums are utilized to allow people to express THEIR opinions. If a coach can't take criticism then I most definitely wouldn't want them to coach my child. Many of the  people that comment about the Gilmer games in this forum are in the stands and can see what is not working and were adjustments need to be made. In my honest opinion Gilmer needs to understand they have great players and the same plays that worked when JT was coaching is not going to work now. But back to why I responded in the first place,  a good coach would get on this forum and read these comments and review film and make some necessary adjustments with some of the "critical" comments. Are Gilmer fans really "thankless" or  are they trying to keep from seeing Gilmer football program sink.

SN: The morale of the players has obviously decreased because the agenda of the pass game has started to focus on hyping one particular kid who is good but he cannot pull the weight/wins for the TEAM. 

BTW Springhill panthers had some phenomenal players!