Texas Governor Abbot vows to re-instate Texas vs A&M game

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Interesting, coming from a Libertarian, that you want the government to threaten sports teams over not playing a game. 

I said this same thing the last time he said this (probably last year) 

8 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I think both sides should stop being ####s and figure out a way to play the damn game.

C'mon y'all...  grow up. 

But why?

At first, A&M said, "Any time, anywhere" and DeLoss Dodds said no. What else was A&M supposed to do? 

Now, our schedule is booked and we have several awesome home games a year with a few easier games to keep the schedule from becoming TOO loaded.... If anything, re-introducing this game would hurt A&M...

• LOL! 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

But why?

C'mon man, this is a basic college football rivalry. Y'all just kick Natchitoches Junior College and the South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs to the curb, and Texas will dump Tulsa.

Boom. Easy. Make it happen.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Matthias said:

C'mon man, this is a basic college football rivalry. Y'all just kick Natchitoches Junior College and the South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs to the curb, and Texas will dump Tulsa.

Boom. Easy. Make it happen.

But we need those easier games to counteract the many tougher teams we play. Now replacing a team like UCLA or Arizona State would make sense.... But again, what do we have to gain from it? We sell out our stadium as it is (although I don't know that that is the case for Texas). Turning one of those into a home-and-home would cost us money in the long run. And if it DID sell out their stadium, it'd help them far more than us, since a lot of their games apparently don't. 

So again, I ask, what do we have to gain from it? "They should just play" or "it's a tradition" isn't anything that will help us. I haven't even started on reasons why NOT to play it....

Eyeballs on a TV are kinda important. Ratings. Ad revenue. Media attention and storylines. Hype. 

But really, it's not that big a deal to me.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Consider me among the dinosaurs who think tradition and rivalries are an important part of college football.  I'm sure lotsa folks want to watch A&M square off against UAB. 

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

Eyeballs on a TV are kinda important. Ratings. Ad revenue. Media attention and storylines. Hype. 

But really, it's not that big a deal to me.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Consider me among the dinosaurs who think tradition and rivalries are an important part of college football.  I'm sure lotsa folks want to watch A&M square off against UAB. 

Again, we have a huge TV deal and were the highest grossing athletic department last year. I guess we could make even MORE money, and that'd help. Furthermore, our highest rated game was against Alabama this season and had 4.77M while the highest rated Texas game, Oklahoma, carried 3.62M.

I get the "tradition" aspect of it that you're saying. Many people in the state of Texas grew up on the game and whatnot and kids these days aren't growing up with the A&M vs Texas game being the Thanksgiving tradition. That I get, but more importantly I'm interested in what helps A&M the most... 

But then things like the most recent  Red River Shootout happened and I remember how their games are always officiated and just have no desire. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

But why?

At first, A&M said, "Any time, anywhere" and DeLoss Dodds said no. What else was A&M supposed to do? 

Now, our schedule is booked and we have several awesome home games a year with a few easier games to keep the schedule from becoming TOO loaded.... If anything, re-introducing this game would hurt A&M...

Who cares if it hurts A&M or hurts Texas. The top 2 Universities in the State should be playing every year on Thanksgiving weekend. I'm all for the Governor or Legislator stepping in and forcing the schools to do it. Everybody wants the game with the exception of a few Aggies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Who cares if it hurts A&M or hurts Texas. The top 2 Universities in the State should be playing every year on Thanksgiving weekend. I'm all for the Governor or Legislator stepping in and forcing the schools to do it. Everybody wants the game with the exception of a few Aggies.

Can’t blame Aggies... longhorn brass started this mess

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Interesting, coming from a Libertarian, that you want the government to threaten sports teams over not playing a game. 

Being a sports fan trumps that.  They should have never ended the rivalry.  I'd love to see it's return.  

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

Why should they? Because you said so?

Got any proof to back up your claim that "everybody wants it other than a few Aggies?" I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Why should they? Because you said so?

Got any proof to back up your claim that "everybody wants it other than a few Aggies?" I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Not sure I have any proof. Everyone in my circle, Horns and Aggies all want the game to be played. Maybe it's the older generations that grew up with this game and the intense rivalry. The rivalries are what make College football Great. Maybe the younger generation doesn't care. I'm not sure. I think it's odd that the Aggies don't play any of there traditional rivals anymore. Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech. Conference affiliation shouldn't matter. Texas played OU for 60 years before they were in the same conference. Florida-florida State is as big as it gets. I'm sure Sumlin doesn't want the game, but would you agree the majority of boosters and graduates of A&M that grew up with this game, want it to continue? I may be wrong.

• Like 2