Texas Governor Abbot vows to re-instate Texas vs A&M game

14 hours ago, Matthias said:

Eyeballs on a TV are kinda important. Ratings. Ad revenue. Media attention and storylines. Hype. 

But really, it's not that big a deal to me.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Consider me among the dinosaurs who think tradition and rivalries are an important part of college football.  I'm sure lotsa folks want to watch A&M square off against UAB. 

I also think that rivalries are important, especially natural rivalries.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Not sure I have any proof. Everyone in my circle, Horns and Aggies all want the game to be played. Maybe it's the older generations that grew up with this game and the intense rivalry. The rivalries are what make College football Great. Maybe the younger generation doesn't care. I'm not sure. I think it's odd that the Aggies don't play any of there traditional rivals anymore. Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech. Conference affiliation shouldn't matter. Texas played OU for 60 years before they were in the same conference. Florida-florida State is as big as it gets. I'm sure Sumlin doesn't want the game, but would you agree the majority of boosters and graduates of A&M that grew up with this game, want it to continue? I may be wrong.

Sumlin nor Herman want this game.  It would be great, but losing significantly hurts both teams.  I’m trying to think what each school would benefit... financially, sure.  But the winner gets wayyy more than the loser...

• Like 1

We have this conversation every year haha. They won't bring the rivalry back until both team are relevant. And by that I mean Texas isn't finishing 5-7 and A&M isn't 8-5 every year. I agree with JF, it doesn't really benefit the Ags or the Horns. You get two solid A&M and Texas teams are good and we have a better chance of seeing that game again. As of right now, it ain't happening.

16 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Not sure I have any proof. Everyone in my circle, Horns and Aggies all want the game to be played. Maybe it's the older generations that grew up with this game and the intense rivalry. The rivalries are what make College football Great. Maybe the younger generation doesn't care. I'm not sure. I think it's odd that the Aggies don't play any of there traditional rivals anymore. Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech. Conference affiliation shouldn't matter. Texas played OU for 60 years before they were in the same conference. Florida-florida State is as big as it gets. I'm sure Sumlin doesn't want the game, but would you agree the majority of boosters and graduates of A&M that grew up with this game, want it to continue? I may be wrong.

I get it- It's an eyeball test. Most of the Aggies I talk to DON'T want the game (which is why I asked if you had any kind of census or numbers on it) because we're enjoying a lot of fresh, new, competitive games with teams we'd hardly ever played before. And we're doing just fine without it, filling our stadium and whatnot. I personally grew up with the game for 25 years and am just fine not playing it, especially given all I know about how everything went down.

19 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I get it- It's an eyeball test. Most of the Aggies I talk to DON'T want the game (which is why I asked if you had any kind of census or numbers on it) because we're enjoying a lot of fresh, new, competitive games with teams we'd hardly ever played before. And we're doing just fine without it, filling our stadium and whatnot. I personally grew up with the game for 25 years and am just fine not playing it, especially given all I know about how everything went down.

Given all you know about it?  Do share!!!  Because us peons are so in the dark about how Texas caused all of this.  

Post the articles saying "anytime, anywhere".  Or the one Where dodds says the game will happen on texas' terms.  I know, post the one saying dodds told other Big 12 teams not to play y'all.  It all depends on which side of the fence you sit on that form your opinion (or as you say "given what I know").  

The fact of the the matter is one brother thought the other brother wasn't playing nicely, so he left  to play ball with some boys down the street thinking he'd still get the chance to come back on thanksgiving every year and challenge him.  The brother who stayed didn't really care if the other brother left, because he rarely beat him at anything other than riding horses.  Well the brother that left shouted that he'd take him on anywhere and anytime.  The one brother told him that he really didn't have time earlier in the year and that thanksgiving was full of the family that had stuck around.  I don't guess the brother that left was persistent enough to get a fight out of the brother that didn't care.   Didn't even him off to get a fight out of him for a Labor Day weekend years in advance.  So the brother that moved on down the hood decided he'd just tell everybody that he wasn't the problem.  Problem is that he couldn't see that nobody cared but him.  

Is that kinda how "given what you know" goes?  Because that's pretty much what I heard.

• Like 2

I don't see the game happening anytime soon, but could you imagine the ratings if they met up in bowl game? Not sure if SEC would allow it, but I'd love to see it.

***PS - not liking this new format. Is there a way to go back to the old look in the settings?

1 hour ago, tbird9100 said:

Given all you know about it?  Do share!!!  Because us peons are so in the dark about how Texas caused all of this.  

Post the articles saying "anytime, anywhere".  Or the one Where dodds says the game will happen on texas' terms.  I know, post the one saying dodds told other Big 12 teams not to play y'all.  It all depends on which side of the fence you sit on that form your opinion (or as you say "given what I know").  

The fact of the the matter is one brother thought the other brother wasn't playing nicely, so he left  to play ball with some boys down the street thinking he'd still get the chance to come back on thanksgiving every year and challenge him.  The brother who stayed didn't really care if the other brother left, because he rarely beat him at anything other than riding horses.  Well the brother that left shouted that he'd take him on anywhere and anytime.  The one brother told him that he really didn't have time earlier in the year and that thanksgiving was full of the family that had stuck around.  I don't guess the brother that left was persistent enough to get a fight out of the brother that didn't care.   Didn't even him off to get a fight out of him for a Labor Day weekend years in advance.  So the brother that moved on down the hood decided he'd just tell everybody that he wasn't the problem.  Problem is that he couldn't see that nobody cared but him.  

Is that kinda how "given what you know" goes?  Because that's pretty much what I heard.

I mean, are you claiming those things (the Dodds quote about saying HE gets to decide when to play or Loftin saying "any time, anywhere") didn't happen? Because they did, and it's easy to show where they did... Unless you're a completely delusional person, of course..

And I wasn't going to go into detail on it, but it looks like Texas MIGHT need the game a bit more than A&M does at the moment. 

Next season outside of USC, Texas has a THRILLING home schedule of Tulsa, TCU, Baylor, West Virginia, and the exciting conclusion against Iowa State! Get your tickets now, folks!  Not only that, it looks like Texas NEEDS a game to be a sellout because they're having trouble getting fans to come to games any more:

DMrKKbQUIAAe58V.jpg

DJTmn5hUEAAdMet.jpg

Maybe if you didn't keep yourself in the dark and would actually go to games and not just buy t-shirts, this wouldn't have happened. 

• LOL! 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Naaaahhhh... 

Though I am still waiting for one of the "play the game" advocates to tell me why it should be played other than "I want it to because it used to be played". 

I think from an emotional stand point deep down we all want it to be played because we grew up watching it, but I also know it doesn't need to happen at all. I'd like to see both play again, but I'm in no rush to get the rivalry back. I believe things are fine the way they are now.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Naaaahhhh... 

Though I am still waiting for one of the "play the game" advocates to tell me why it should be played other than "I want it to because it used to be played". 

As a college football fan, I want to see the game... hell, I’d even watch a scrimmage...

but if you want me to tell you one of the schools needs the game, I can’t... the only thing that’s needed is for both teams to win and get the recruits back in the Texas schools.  A&M can do it with 10 win seasons in the SEC.  Texas can do it with a 9 win season...  but this state’s college football teams have been depressing for the majority of this decade

9 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I think from an emotional stand point deep down we all want it to be played because we grew up watching it, but I also know it doesn't need to happen at all. I'd like to see both play again, but I'm in no rush to get the rivalry back. I believe things are fine the way they are now.

Pretty much this (and what Mavgrad said). It's great that it was a tradition, especially for Thanksgiving. But as it sits now, it's better for it not to happen for a while... maybe another 5 or 10 years. 

• Like 1

Not saying they didn't happen.  They're one sided narratives.  Hell Boise State once claimed anybody anytime anywhere until Nebraska wanted a 3 game series with them.  Texas A&M could say the same thing for months knowing scheduling it would take several years.  Dodds was an arrogant Deck and everybody knows that.  But if the shoe were on the other foot, and the Aggies had made compromises to help keep the big 12 together and Texas up and bolted for another conference the Aggies would've had hard feelings too.  

Those pics show one thing.  That Texas fans are tired of subpar play, tired of seeing Chris Warren run sideways, tired of Texas losing.  They are from before the game and opening kickoff according to the times on the scoreboard and band on the field.  I've seen the twelfth man look worse than that when Bad Bo Wallace scored 35 in College Station, when they're supposed to be the best fan base in the world.  It happens everywhere.  

Good luck luck on the rest of the season and getting Sumlin that contract extension.  

3 minutes ago, tbird9100 said:

Not saying they didn't happen.  They're one sided narratives.  Hell Boise State once claimed anybody anytime anywhere until Nebraska wanted a 3 game series with them.  Texas A&M could say the same thing for months knowing scheduling it would take several years.  Dodds was an arrogant Deck and everybody knows that.  But if the shoe were on the other foot, and the Aggies had made compromises to help keep the big 12 together and Texas up and bolted for another conference the Aggies would've had hard feelings too.  

Those pics show one thing.  That Texas fans are tired of subpar play, tired of seeing Chris Warren run sideways, tired of Texas losing.  They are from before the game and opening kickoff according to the times on the scoreboard and band on the field.  I've seen the twelfth man look worse than that when Bad Bo Wallace scored 35 in College Station, when they're supposed to be the best fan base in the world.  It happens everywhere.  

Good luck luck on the rest of the season and getting Sumlin that contract extension.  

Um, are you talking about the game that set an SEC attendance record? 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11686868/ole-miss-vs-texas-sets-sec-attendance-record

Oh wait... Is that just another "one-sided narrative"? Those facts... I swear. They're just unfair!

Care to try again? I mean, you could've at LEAST reached back 10 years for the Fresno State game.... 

1 minute ago, tbird9100 said:

Does it matter how many you start with when they're filing out at halftime.  Yes that same game, was a big recruiting weekend also for the Aggies.  I bet there weren't 30,000 left in the stands later in the game.  

The whole point of that discussion was fans selling out a stadium to bring in revenue and that being why the game was needed. A&M doesn't need that to sell out their stadium. Texas, demonstrably, does. 

Big recruiting weekend? I mean, I don't know that these are the sharpest tools in the shed, but I'm sure a recruit wouldn't question a fanbase if they allegedly (you've offered no proof whatsoever) left once a game was decided late in the 4th. But a recruit COULD see "Hey, this game is about the start and there are huge chunks of fans missing". Even Coach Herman commented on it.