Texas Governor Abbot vows to re-instate Texas vs A&M game

Maybe Herman should fix his problem.

the argument was that the Aggies fill the stadium.  Sure they do.  They did in the big12.  If Texas wins their stadium will start to fill up.  One team is struggling, the other isn't so much.  Let the Aggies start losing games and see if there's 110k at the opening kickoffs.  

2 minutes ago, tbird9100 said:

Maybe Herman should fix his problem.

the argument was that the Aggies fill the stadium.  Sure they do.  They did in the big12.  If Texas wins their stadium will start to fill up.  One team is struggling, the other isn't so much.  Let the Aggies start losing games and see if there's 110k at the opening kickoffs.  

That's fair. 

Also, it's hurt that Texas has had 11am kickoffs. 

These 2 schools were the top 2 in athletic revenue last year and Texas football alone brings in $114 million a year. 

The idea that Texas needs to play ATM to get a sellout help with athletic revenue is utterly stupid. 

Texas isn't selling out every football game and still brings in more money than any other football team in the country. 

51 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I think from an emotional stand point deep down we all want it to be played because we grew up watching it, but I also know it doesn't need to happen at all. I'd like to see both play again, but I'm in no rush to get the rivalry back. I believe things are fine the way they are now.

That's the thing many have become complacent, because it hasn't been played in 6 years.  Regardless of what University one went to or roots for this was one game that almost every college football fan watched.  Students at Texas and A&M looked forward to this game as soon as football season started.  Now it's just another game, because many don't remember how big it was even students that are attending today because they were between 12-17 when it was last played.  I hate both schools, but I still want to watch it because regardless of the records it was usually a hard fought game with Texas usually winning at 67.25%.  Heck, I think Texas needs it just to be bowl eligible in the shape they're in right now.  

57 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean, are you claiming those things (the Dodds quote about saying HE gets to decide when to play or Loftin saying "any time, anywhere") didn't happen? Because they did, and it's easy to show where they did... Unless you're a completely delusional person, of course..

And I wasn't going to go into detail on it, but it looks like Texas MIGHT need the game a bit more than A&M does at the moment. 

Next season outside of USC, Texas has a THRILLING home schedule of Tulsa, TCU, Baylor, West Virginia, and the exciting conclusion against Iowa State! Get your tickets now, folks!  Not only that, it looks like Texas NEEDS a game to be a sellout because they're having trouble getting fans to come to games any more:

DMrKKbQUIAAe58V.jpg

DJTmn5hUEAAdMet.jpg

Maybe if you didn't keep yourself in the dark and would actually go to games and not just buy t-shirts, this wouldn't have happened. 

Just seeing this post.  Official attendance was 92,500ish

http://texassports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=10208&path=football

Y'all...  <sigh>  okay...  I get it.

A&M doesn't need to play Texas. Texas doesn't need to play A&M. Everyone's doing just fine on their own, thankyouverymuch. "Better for us to completely ignore them! The conference schedule is rough enough, we don't need a grueling non-con game! Too much to lose in recruiting. Not worth the hassle. A defeat could hamper recruiting. A losing streak would be crippling. The refs cheat for Texas."  Hey...  guys, I work in PR/marketing. I know how important it is cultivate favorable narratives. I get it. I really do. 

I don't dispute the business angle, you guys have covered it all very well. But dammit, I feel like we're missing the mark on what makes college football what it is!

"But that's just 'tradition.' We sell out our stadium and make a buncha money now!" Great! Those are great things! You can't build/maintain a strong program without either. But why are we tossing "tradition" off to the side like some sort of quaint relic from a bygone era. Why are we treating tradition like the icing on the cake? It is the cake! Without the pageantry and tradition and rivalries and cheerleaders and bands and mascots and etc. and etc....   you have the NFL. A boring and staid mercenary game, where players and coaches shift allegiances faster than a t-shirt fan. 

Look, I'm a Sooner alum so, frankly, I hate you both...  but I'm also a college football fan. As much as I hate the sense of entitlement from certain blueblood "helmet" programs, I also recognize they are a part of the rich tapestry that makes the college game so great. So yeah yeah, Notre Dame and USC get lavished with praise for mediocrity, Texas and Michigan are often arrogant for no good reason, Aggies are borderline psychotic, Oklahoma always cheats, and Army-Navy is always the greatest college football game every season (no matter the score)...  but that's all part of it!  Tradition is the forest and the trees. It's the engine and the wheels...  money is the paint job. 

If you make it all about the bottom line, you're missing what makes it great. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Y'all...  <sigh>  okay...  I get it.

A&M doesn't need to play Texas. Texas doesn't need to play A&M. Everyone's doing just fine on their own, thankyouverymuch. "Better for us to completely ignore them! The conference schedule is rough enough, we don't need a grueling non-con game! Too much to lose in recruiting. Not worth the hassle. A defeat could hamper recruiting. A losing streak would be crippling. The refs cheat for Texas."  Hey...  guys, I work in PR/marketing. I know how important it is cultivate favorable narratives. I get it. I really do. 

I don't dispute the business angle, you guys have covered it all very well. But dammit, I feel like we're missing the mark on what makes college football what it is!

"But that's just 'tradition.' We sell out our stadium and make a buncha money now!" Great! Those are great things! You can't build/maintain a strong program without either. But why are we tossing "tradition" off to the side like some sort of quaint relic from a bygone era. Why are we treating tradition like the icing on the cake? It is the cake! Without the pageantry and tradition and rivalries and cheerleaders and bands and mascots and etc. and etc....   you have the NFL. A boring and staid mercenary game, where players and coaches shift allegiances faster than a t-shirt fan. 

Look, I'm a Sooner alum so, frankly, I hate you both...  but I'm also a college football fan. As much as I hate the sense of entitlement from certain blueblood "helmet" programs, I also recognize they are a part of the rich tapestry that makes the college game so great. So yeah yeah, Notre Dame and USC get lavished with praise for mediocrity, Texas and Michigan are often arrogant for no good reason, Aggies are borderline psychotic, Oklahoma always cheats, and Army-Navy is always the greatest college football game every season (no matter the score)...  but that's all part of it!  Tradition is the forest and the trees. It's the engine and the wheels...  money is the paint job. 

If you make it all about the bottom line, you're missing what makes it great. 

Agreed the game should be played because it's a great game to watch and we have too many boring games already! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Next season outside of USC, Texas has a THRILLING home schedule of Tulsa, TCU, Baylor, West Virginia, and the exciting conclusion against Iowa State! Get your tickets now, folks!  

Northwestern State

Louisiana Monroe

Kentucky

Ole Miss

UAB

....Thrilling. Get your tickets now folks!

And yes, I'm fully aware they also have Clemson and LSU at home...there's two. 

The only way Texas should agree to anything with the Aggies is a neutral site year to year basis game.  Last time they sat together and agreed to sturdying up the big 12, redistributing conference money, agreeing to a new contract then they left  for the sec.  I wouldn’t trust them in a home and Home unless I got the first home game.  

12 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That's really all he has in life, and it happened years ago haha just ignore him. It's easier than ever with the new site features

U have no idea what goes on in my life.  Sdc is about .5% of what I do.  But 27-25 is a historical fact.  It must bother u.  Maybe u should stick to Texags and Gigem.